1.    #1  
    Hey

I am new to this forum, but I am looking for a gift for my friend.
    He owns a Treo 650. I have been looking on this forum and it seems like a lot of people are using tomtom. My first question is tomtom the software and do I need to buy a separate GPS system?

For those that have any navi on your treos is it worth it? I know he uses the phone a lot and thats why I am looking into buying him a GPS system to work with his phone, but if it slows things down and causes problems I think I would go with a standalone navi system. What do you think is my best bet: something for the phone or just a standalone system?

Thanx
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Well, it's nice to have, but if he uses the phone a lot, he would probably be happier with a separate system. I've run TomTom5 on my 650 and 700p, and now run TomTom6 on my Centro...but I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 for $180 from Amazon.com. Oh, TomTom is the software, and you'll also need a GPS receiver.
    My PDA progression Palm III -> Palm IIIXE -> PALM IIIC -> PALM M130 -> iPaq H2215 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by qwalls View Post
    Well, it's nice to have, but if he uses the phone a lot, he would probably be happier with a separate system. I've run TomTom5 on my 650 and 700p, and now run TomTom6 on my Centro...but I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 for $180 from Amazon.com. Oh, TomTom is the software, and you'll also need a GPS receiver.

Question: Does the Nuvi 200 have Text To Speech that gives you the name of the street (eg: turn right on Market Street?). Or do you need to get at least the Nuvi 350 and higher versions? Thanks, Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I use TomTom 6 on my 650 and it works well for me. I like having it on the phone so that it's with me most of the time. You do need a separate GPS receiver so you still need to carry that (it's really small and easy to put in the change pocket) as well as the phone if you want full navigation. I find that I still use the maps a lot even if I don't carry the GPS unit. I don't get a lot of calls/messages so I don't have problems with nav interruptions (you can't talk and navigate at the same time). If I get a call, I just restart TomTom afterwards and it picks up the route it was following when the call came in.
    What will work for your friend depends to a large degree on his/her geekyness. Adding TomTom software to a Treo 650 can result in some Hotsync issues. If your friend isn't comfortable working through these, he/she might become an unhappy camper.

Also, in addition to the TomTom software, you will need a GPS receiver. These come in two varieties. Direct wire and Bluetooth. The most popular direct wire system is a Seidio cradle that installs in your car. In addition to the GPS receiver, it has a speaker so you can hear the directions. It also doubles as a hands-free system that charges your Treo while it is in the cradle.

The Bluetooth system is more portable but some folks experience problems with the Treo's Bluetooth recognizing the GPS receiver.

I have TomTom with the Seidio cradle. Now that I got all the bugs worked out, it works really well. I particularly like the Contact Navigation feature. I also like the hands free operation of the cradle. As soon as you hang up, the Treo goes right back to the TomTom.

Also, a TomTom/Seidio cradle combination is not cheap. There has been some pretty aggressive price cutting for stand alone systems and you should be able to get one for less than the TomTom for a Treo.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by mytheory. View Post
    Hey

I am new to this forum, but I am looking for a gift for my friend.
    He owns a Treo 650. I have been looking on this forum and it seems like a lot of people are using tomtom. My first question is tomtom the software and do I need to buy a separate GPS system?

For those that have any navi on your treos is it worth it? I know he uses the phone a lot and thats why I am looking into buying him a GPS system to work with his phone, but if it slows things down and causes problems I think I would go with a standalone navi system. What do you think is my best bet: something for the phone or just a standalone system?

Thanx
    I don't know about TomTom, but I'd say my Delorme Earthmate Street Atlas 2008 navigation software is definitely worth it.

It comes with a computer version AND a (Palm OS and Windows Mobile) handheld version. The handheld version isn't as robust as the laptop version, but it's very useful and is a great deal for one application purchase.

I like being able to take my gps nav capability with me, wherever I go. This is even easier since I got a Freedom Bluetooth GPS receiver, which fits nicely on my keychain.

This solution is great for me, but I'd probably get a standalone gps device for my Mom because 1) she's not as likely to use it outside of her vehicle and 2) she's not much of a techie (and I *assume* standalones are more straight-forward).

Good luck.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Question: Does the Nuvi 200 have Text To Speech that gives you the name of the street (eg: turn right on Market Street?). Or do you need to get at least the Nuvi 350 and higher versions? Thanks, Casey

The 200 doesn't have text to speech, but I believe the 260 does.
    My PDA progression Palm III -> Palm IIIXE -> PALM IIIC -> PALM M130 -> iPaq H2215 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Centro