1.    #1  
    Am looking for a software product that will allow me to use my pager as an alarm for my palm - effectively, I want a plugin for palm desktop (I guess) that will send an e-mail to my mobile account some custom number of minutes prior to appointments. Ideally, it will co-ordinate with the "reminder" setting for each calendar item, so that it will only page me for certain appointments. Anyone see anything like this before?
    I've only seen this in software that interfaces with Outlook 9x/2K, either using SMS or E-Mail. If you want to see what's out there for Outlook, go over to www.hotfiles.com and perform a search on "outlook" and "pager" in the search box.

Now, as for the Palm Desktop--- I haven't seen anything that interfaces or intergrates with the Palm Desktop like the solutions for Outlook. It is possible-- if products like Linkesoft's Desktop Reminder exists, then it should be possible to extend it to having SMTP send capabilities. If someone can add the functionality seen in Mail REDirect, to a product like Desktop Reminder, that would certainly fit the bill. Whether a Palm developer wants to spend the time to add code is a different story.

Anyways, if you do happen to sync with Outlook, the software listed at Hotfiles should fit the bill. Other PIMs become problematic-- I saw one solution for Netscape but the description of the software was so cumbersome, I didn't want to try it out.

If you use the Palm Desktop as your primary desktop PIM interface, there may be a way-- providing you're open to having your information pass through an Internet conduit (but then again, if you weren't worried about reminder information being sent over an unencrypted SMTP message, then we need to re-evaluate your security concerns ).

Yahoo!'s IntelliSync and TrueSync offerings allow you to sync your Datebook to a Yahoo! Calendar. Y!'s Calendar can be configured to have reminders sent to an e-mail address-- and it can be a non-Y! e-mail account. See here for a brief blurb on the reminder feature.
    Originally posted by ProjectZero
    Yahoo!'s IntelliSync and TrueSync offerings allow you to sync your Datebook to a Yahoo! Calendar. Y!'s Calendar can be configured to have reminders sent to an e-mail address-- and it can be a non-Y! e-mail account. See here for a brief blurb on the reminder feature.
    Yahoo also has something called "mobile alerts" that can handle SMS, text, etc.
    If you're referring to the services available at mobile.yahoo.com, I don't think that'll do what DanJonWig is looking to do.

The last I checked, the alerts is only supported for Yahoo!'s auctions, email, horoscope, news, sports, stock and weather services. It's great for that but calender and scheduling isn't suported.

One could use the email alert function-- notifies your mobile or pager device for any new message arriving in your Y! Mail account. But then you'd need to find some way to get reminder notices originating from your Visor's datebook or Palm Desktop, up to Y! Mobile, and down to Y! Mail. And figure out how to separate the Y! Mobile's mail alerts to distinguish between reminder alerts and other email that might get dropped off.
    Originally posted by ProjectZero
    If you're referring to the services available at mobile.yahoo.com, I don't think that'll do what DanJonWig is looking to do.

The last I checked, the alerts is only supported for Yahoo!'s auctions, email, horoscope, news, sports, stock and weather services. It's great for that but calender and scheduling isn't suported.

No, alerts are available for any appointment in Yahoo calendar, I use them all the time to page me.

I use Yahoo as my primary PIM and sync the handheld to it with Intellisync. You can then send an appointment reminder to a pager (via the pagers email address), or to an email account or to Yahoo Messenger. Here's more info:
    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/cal/cal-07.html
    bregent is correct.

I use the Yahoo reminder feature all the time. It will send an e-mail reminder to my cell phone whenever I have a "alarm" defined in my Visor datebook.

I did change the default time to send a reminder 1/2 hour before a appointment begins. I had a few come in 10 or 15 minutes after a scheduled appointment (I am guessing it was because of network delays or a slow Yahoo system).
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    I think we're all on the same page now, as the link bregent mentioned is the same link I mentioned in the last paragraph of my initial response-- reminders enabled within Y! Calendar.

The "mobile alerts" terminology that dietrichbohn mentioned is used by the Y! staff for the services available at Y! Mobile. Causes a bunch of support issues, from what I've been told, because of how people will interchange the words "reminders" and "alerts" (the Y! Calendar and Mobile Help was littered with inconsistencies but they've done a very fine job in cleaning it up over the last two years).

Just go to Y! Mobile and see if you can enable an alert for your Y! Calendar directly If you can, congrats!

Ain't the English language wonderful...
    Last edited by ProjectZero; 06/10/2001 at 05:05 AM.