Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Wow! Last time I tried this (on my 700p) it didn't work very well. The range of the IR was 3-5 feet at best. I decided to try again on my Centro and it works from across the room! Has anyone had the same experience? The one problem I am having is since the IR port on the Centro is on the side, I need to change the orientation of the remote screen and I can't find out how to do it.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Does not seem to recognize the sd card on my Centro. I can only run it if I put everything in main memory.
    I was also surprised that mine works from across the room. I haven't done a lot of testing with it but didn't expect it to work from the distance I was (about 7 or 8 feet). I'll have to try to get my husband's Visio remote stuff loaded to test it in the family room where I can get more distance between myself and the t.v.

Bummer that the infrared is on the side, though...it makes trying to use the Centro as a remote a little cumbersome. I don't know of any way to change the orientation of the layout. Though this is an excellent suggestion...since the screen on the Centro is square an orientation change would seem a fairly easy fix for the side infrared.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adz1966 View Post
    Wow! Last time I tried this (on my 700p) it didn't work very well. The range of the IR was 3-5 feet at best. I decided to try again on my Centro and it works from across the room! Has anyone had the same experience? The one problem I am having is since the IR port on the Centro is on the side, I need to change the orientation of the remote screen and I can't find out how to do it.
    Beyond the novelty, and the chance to impress others with what your phone can do... why would you want your phone to be a remote?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but I just can't figure out the appeal of this one. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by star444; 12/26/2007 at 07:58 AM.
    In my case I was able to program our family room so that everything I wanted to come on at once did. The cable box, television and audio. My husband had some expensive remote he tried to program to do the same thing and he never did quite get it there.

It's also nice for when you are somewhere and don't care for what they have on. I've been known to change a bar television...when it isn't crowded of course.

If you misplace the remote it can be used in place of until the remote appears again.

And it's fun.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    In my case I was able to program our family room so that everything I wanted to come on at once did. The cable box, television and audio. My husband had some expensive remote he tried to program to do the same thing and he never did quite get it there.

It's also nice for when you are somewhere and don't care for what they have on. I've been known to change a bar television...when it isn't crowded of course.

If you misplace the remote it can be used in place of until the remote appears again.

And it's fun.
    Good answers. Thanks. I think changing the bar television is hilarious!

Question though... Don't you have to go through a step to "learn" a new televsion's codes? How would that work on a random tv at a bar?
    Last edited by star444; 12/26/2007 at 08:58 AM. Reason: wanted to add a question
    There is an archive data base that has quite a lot of different devices in it. I've been able to find the correct manufacturer in there and just use that set up. I doubt I have all functionality, but I only need channel changing, power (if I'm feeling particularly evil) and volume. I also got a zip file from their site that has hundreds of codes accumulated through them and posters of the forum that I save to my SD card. Since I have them in different folders I can always go into the folder, look for the type and brand, and then copy that file to the Centro and then open it within Novii to use.

It actually came in legtimately handy for me in July. I was in the ER with a broken rib and it was extremely painful to move. You can never find the television remotes...and I wasn't in any condition to search for it. I remembered I had this software on my palm and had it up and running in literally 1 minute, able to change the channels and I didn't have to move at all. The doctor was most impressed when he realized what I was up to.

ETA: The fun factor alone, now that I'm reflecting, makes this program worthwhile. Watching my FIL nearly have a coronary when he was watching some game and I discreetly changed the channel on him. He kept punching the remote control buttons with his finger, getting more and more upset when the Food Network kept popping back on. I finally gave myself away I couldn't hold my giggling in any longer. And at the bar I turned off the television (no one was watching it that I could tell and it was too loud and it was just getting on my nerves). It took a while but eventually the staff noticed and they were on a chair doing all kinds of things, convinced it was broken. I'm not sure why simply turning the power back on didn't fix it, but my husband thought that one was funny. Beware, though...the bartenders are sometimes not humored and you do run the risk of getting yourself thrown out.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    There is an archive data base that has quite a lot of different devices in it. I've been able to find the correct manufacturer in there and just use that set up. I doubt I have all functionality, but I only need channel changing, power (if I'm feeling particularly evil) and volume. I also got a zip file from their site that has hundreds of codes accumulated through them and posters of the forum that I save to my SD card. Since I have them in different folders I can always go into the folder, look for the type and brand, and then copy that file to the Centro and then open it within Novii to use.

It actually came in legtimately handy for me in July. I was in the ER with a broken rib and it was extremely painful to move. You can never find the television remotes...and I wasn't in any condition to search for it. I remembered I had this software on my palm and had it up and running in literally 1 minute, able to change the channels and I didn't have to move at all. The doctor was most impressed when he realized what I was up to.

ETA: The fun factor alone, now that I'm reflecting, makes this program worthwhile. Watching my FIL nearly have a coronary when he was watching some game and I discreetly changed the channel on him. He kept punching the remote control buttons with his finger, getting more and more upset when the Food Network kept popping back on. I finally gave myself away I couldn't hold my giggling in any longer. And at the bar I turned off the television (no one was watching it that I could tell and it was too loud and it was just getting on my nerves). It took a while but eventually the staff noticed and they were on a chair doing all kinds of things, convinced it was broken. I'm not sure why simply turning the power back on didn't fix it, but my husband thought that one was funny. Beware, though...the bartenders are sometimes not humored and you do run the risk of getting yourself thrown out.
    Thanks, French. Where before I saw absolutely no value to this program, now, my evil side is doing a little happy dance. LOL
    I tried to download it but it said the infrared on my device was not usable and check compatibility ?? anyone else get this. I have version 2.62

Also just incase I get it to work , do you have to install the PDB for vcr and TV etc . Non of the models mentioned I use ?? can you just use the PRC file and put codes in there??

Thanks!
    A few important things to note:

1) The Treos are notorious for having "weak" infrared. While my initial playing around with it has been a pleasant surprise, you still may not get more than 3 - 5 feet. That would definitely eliminate a few of the things you might want to do with it. However, you can download a trial to test it yourself. I suggest you do that.

2) You have to use the Deluxe version.

3) In the zip folder for the Deluxe version should be an archive file. You'll want to install that, too. While the software claims to run off SD card, I haven't been able to get mine working how I want so it's best to load it to the phone memory.

4) I have found I can't exit the program unless I hit the phone key. I think there is a way to assign which key takes you out of the program, but I haven't changed that yet.

ETA: You can change hard key assignments which is good. I changed all 4 hard buttons at the top to Palm OS assignment and now my home key works as expected.
    Last edited by French; 12/27/2007 at 10:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    i tried it on my centro and don't get more than 4ft range oh well
    Novii is also useful on the 19th hole. Dunno how many times I've switched the channel from something idiotic like boxing over to The Golf Channel (duh).
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    i tried it on my centro and don't get more than 4ft range oh well
    Sorry to hear that. I'm getting at least 6 feet. Are you sure you have the infrared on the Centro aligned with the infrared on your television? It's harder to get it aligned since it's on the side.

I still haven't gotten around to doing further testing to see how far I can get.
    I'm getting 15 ft. with my Centro, NoviiRemote Deluxe and my Sony TV.