Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Okay, I finally made the "switch" to the Verizon 8830 several days ago from the 700P. I've been using the 700P for over a year, but the dying battery/short battery life eventually caught up with the device (I guess I could have just replaced the battery), plus a part of me was interested in trying out the BB to see what the hype was all about.

Some thoughts, in case anyone is interested, in no particular order

Favoring Blackberry 8830 (with enterprise e-mail access)

• Choice for smaller font size lets you view more text...this was a very welcome change.
    • The Gmail app is substnatially better/faster on the BB than the 700P
    • Faster with switching from browser to e-mail, etc., less unexplained pauses.
    • Trackball is awesome for navigating through messages, Google Maps quickly
    • Lighter than the Treo 700P
    • Battery life much better than the 700P (even when the 700P was working properly with the Sedio battery with the extended life)

Favoring Treo 700P (with Goodlink (or Motorola Good))

• Better synchronization of Outlook e-mail, with ability to move older messages (i.e. messages received prior to starting Good or BB service) to folders, and this is reflected on the device.
    • Better ability to navigate/move items to different folders with one handed keystrokes, i.e. I can archive a message from the inbox to a folder with two keyboard presses...this is a little clunky on the BB
    • After you move an item to a different folder, you're returned to the inbox, rather than staying with the message
    • Ability to see flags, such as replied or urgent or forwarded, next to the messages. This isn't clear on the BB.
    • Inbox is much cleaner on the Treo. I prefer Goodlink's philosophy rather than BB's philosophy of lumping everything in one area.
    • Narrower width of device allows easier one-handed operation
    • More third party applications, e.g. medical applications, than the BB. However, I mainly use my PDA for e-mail, checking my work schedule, than using these third party applications.

I'll also post this on the Blackberry side of Treocentral
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
    Okay, I finally made the "switch" to the Verizon 8830 several days ago from the 700P. I've been using the 700P for over a year, but the dying battery/short battery life eventually caught up with the device (I guess I could have just replaced the battery), plus a part of me was interested in trying out the BB to see what the hype was all about.

Some thoughts, in case anyone is interested, in no particular order

Favoring Blackberry 8830 (with enterprise e-mail access)

• Choice for smaller font size lets you view more text...this was a very welcome change.
    • The Gmail app is substnatially better/faster on the BB than the 700P
    • Faster with switching from browser to e-mail, etc., less unexplained pauses.
    • Trackball is awesome for navigating through messages, Google Maps quickly
    • Lighter than the Treo 700P
    • Battery life much better than the 700P (even when the 700P was working properly with the Sedio battery with the extended life)

Favoring Treo 700P (with Goodlink (or Motorola Good))

• Better synchronization of Outlook e-mail, with ability to move older messages (i.e. messages received prior to starting Good or BB service) to folders, and this is reflected on the device.
    • Better ability to navigate/move items to different folders with one handed keystrokes, i.e. I can archive a message from the inbox to a folder with two keyboard presses...this is a little clunky on the BB
    • After you move an item to a different folder, you're returned to the inbox, rather than staying with the message
    • Ability to see flags, such as replied or urgent or forwarded, next to the messages. This isn't clear on the BB.
    • Inbox is much cleaner on the Treo. I prefer Goodlink's philosophy rather than BB's philosophy of lumping everything in one area.
    • Narrower width of device allows easier one-handed operation
    • More third party applications, e.g. medical applications, than the BB. However, I mainly use my PDA for e-mail, checking my work schedule, than using these third party applications.

I'll also post this on the Blackberry side of Treocentral
    Thanks for your thoughts. My company is thinking about switching from 700p to BB so I was just searching for differences. I think I have had it with sudden reboots, long delays etc. with the palm. So I'm looking forward to a Pearl.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    I dont know what you mean by battery life on the BB - talktime and email how much time do you get?

I have the Treo 700P with Chatteremail and it syncs automatically with Gmail IMAP so you dont need the gmail app - it is better and faster.

I like all the extra apps for Treo that arent available for BB, and like that treo has a camera (although it could be better).
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by estroh View Post
    I dont know what you mean by battery life on the BB - talktime and email how much time do you get?

I have the Treo 700P with Chatteremail and it syncs automatically with Gmail IMAP so you dont need the gmail app - it is better and faster.

I like all the extra apps for Treo that arent available for BB, and like that treo has a camera (although it could be better).
    I had the Sedio extended battery, Good link, and Chatter e-mail running, and would definitely need to charge the battery nightly. With the BB, I think you could get at least 1.5 to 2 days in between charges, though I haven't fully tested it yet.

As for Gmail IMAP, I also had that running through Chatter on the 700P. However, weren't you getting garbled messages when it included HTML? This proved to be a major annoyance, to the point that Gmail IMAP wasn't really usable on the 700P. Granted, I haven't tried running IMAP on the BB...just using the regular Gmail app.

Agree that Treo has better third party, free applications. Bottom line...I'm hoping that Treo will release a new model that includes support for smaller fonts, less buggy, etc., etc.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpilot View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. My company is thinking about switching from 700p to BB so I was just searching for differences. I think I have had it with sudden reboots, long delays etc. with the palm. So I'm looking forward to a Pearl.
    One additional thing...the 700P has a better keyboard than the 8830, with a better, more QWERTY-like layout (rather than trying to cram it into a rectangle). I imagine that the Pearl's non-QWERTY keyboard may take some time to get used to.
    I have the prior version of the Blackberry that had the Suretype instead of the QWERTY keyboard, and it really doesn't take long to get used to it. And the keys are much bigger, while the overall device is smaller than my Treo 650.

Occasionally, I cuss it (such as when something isn't recognized as a word by the computer, and I have to manually enter it). But overall, I don't mind it at all and am considering the BB Pearl which has the same thing.

Why is this in a Treo forum? Because I'm weighing options between the 700p and a BB.