1.    #1  
    On my Palm Centro, the messaging app will restrict me from typing an SMS longer than 160 characters... on my old 650, I could send a message as long as I like and it would break it into the appropriate number of SMS messages needed to send it. Is there a way to get the Centro to do this?
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Cant recall which one it is..but I saw this answered somewhere:

I think someone answered that the limit is due to the carrier or phone.
    The limit is due to sms technology not carrier or phone.
    Yeah its a limit but Treo 650 users used to be able to just type say 260 characters and the Treo would send it in 2 messges , one with 160 characters and the other with 100. Would be great to be able to get this feature on the Centro.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I couldn't do that on my Treo 650. Maybe those who had that ability were on GSM carriers?
    My PDA progression Palm III -> Palm IIIXE -> PALM IIIC -> PALM M130 -> iPaq H2215 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Centro
    The ability to concatenate SMS is entirely up to the client, since it is still broken into multiple 160 character messages when sent. There are web based (such as the old Nextel Mobile Messaging) that didn't have the limit, then again, it was not going through packet data.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Check out this new program called PictureSMS available at: http://www.suntzu-software.com/picturesms.htm.

One of the features listed is:

Send and receive unlimited SMS length
    I like ^^^ that app but it doesnt function properly on my Centro.

Anyone else using it?
    I'm a Pre gal now
    It has nothing to do with GSM and CDMA and everything to do with the app that you're using for the messaging. The Palm app on CDMA phones limits the message length to 160 characters. Modifying that app or using third-party messaging apps are the only way around the limit on the CDMA Palms.
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    I like ^^^ that app but it doesnt function properly on my Centro.

Anyone else using it?
    I tried using it and while I didn't keep it long enough to try out most features (there are alot!), the multi-message breakup didn't work

From my phone it appeared that the messages sent, but all my recipients just received messages of gobbledygook; nothing but characters and symbols.

I gave up!

K
    The Treo 680 can create a SMS longer than 160, but sends it as two messages, but that is GSM not the CDMA used by Sprint and the current version of the Centro.
    Problem is when you send one of these long SMS to a phone that doesn't support it!