Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    In my opinion, if it's that big of a deal for you, simply don't use the product. Problem solved.
    Well said. Some just like to complain.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    The statement that they are having us log in to determine unique users is crap. I have a problem with this. Do you need to log in before you use Microsoft office? Nope, yet MS has gone to GREAT lengths to prevent multiple people of using the same license.

Rik needs to come clean and state why he is really collecting this information. He is charging nothing for his software or service, yet he requires a log in. What is his business model? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to collect the dots.

I don't care if this is the best app known to man. I have a problem when a developer isn't upfront with his user base.

I don't mind giving an email address. You are right, you usually do need to give a email address out there to register an app.

How many apps do you own that require you to login before you use it? That is VERY uncommon.

If we aren't using his dbase, then WHY ARE WE LOGGING IN???

Yes, I would rather pay for this app than be required to log in every time I used it.
    You only have to log on the very first time you use it, after that is it a regular app., click on it, it opens, use it.
    You don"t have to log onto it EVERY time that you use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    You only have to log on the very first time you use it, after that is it a regular app., click on it, it opens, use it.
    You don"t have to log onto it EVERY time that you use it.
    Technically, it is authenticating each time, it just does it without asking.

In reality, he's making a huge deal out of nothing. As I like to say, don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
    The save to memo function doesn't work for me from this new version. I can see the directions from the resulting browser fine. but saving to memo is aways blank. This didn't happen to me in the old DA

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse View Post
    The save to memo function doesn't work for me from this new version. I can see the directions from the resulting browser fine. but saving to memo is aways blank. This didn't happen to me in the old DA
    I'm not sure this is the same thing but when I get directions, the directions are displayed on the Google Maps page and it doesn't give me an option to save the directions to memo.

The previous version of DA did or was that option throught MapQuest using DA? Am I doing something wrong?

TIA

Nevermind, I find it in Preferences
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    My saving to memo is working.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse View Post
    Contact Rick through the website, he will fix you up. I had the same issue, I'm not sure how he did it, but he fixed it.
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Technically, it is authenticating each time, it just does it without asking.

In reality, he's making a huge deal out of nothing. As I like to say, don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
    I'm not because I'm not need the app. X-411 does just fine and I don't need to log in to use it.

The problem I'm having is that this guy isn't coming clean with why he needs people to log in. What is his business model??? The app is free, the service is free, yet we have to log in.... hummmmm this doesn't take a genius to figure out what is going on.

All I'm saying is that Tryda needs to be up front with what they are doing so that users know what they are actually agreeing to when they opt in. That's it.

What's wrong with asking for the "WHY?"
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    Well said. Some just like to complain.
    Really? Is this not a community meant to discuss such things as this? To ask why and to discuss topics openly. It isn't like I've been slandering they guy publically or anything.

Chill man.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Really? Is this not a community meant to discuss such things as this? To ask why and to discuss topics openly. It isn't like I've been slandering they guy publically or anything.

Chill man.
    Perhaps it's not technically slander, but you are insinuating that he has some nefarious motive contrary to what he has previously stated.

That said, I agree with you - count me as a former DA user who considers the registration and login process somewhat intrusive. I have reluctantly chosen to remove it from my Treo, with thanks to Rick for all his past great work.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Didn't he already state that there will be some advertising to sustain the business model?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

Chill man.
    Rick could offer free lunch and a $100.00 gift certificate and someone would still complain.

You chill. I'm not the one raising a ruckus.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    I'm not because I'm not need the app. X-411 does just fine and I don't need to log in to use it.

The problem I'm having is that this guy isn't coming clean with why he needs people to log in. What is his business model??? The app is free, the service is free, yet we have to log in.... hummmmm this doesn't take a genius to figure out what is going on.

All I'm saying is that Tryda needs to be up front with what they are doing so that users know what they are actually agreeing to when they opt in. That's it.

What's wrong with asking for the "WHY?"
    I have looked into X-411 but had concerns about the content they are delivering.

In a post from

http://forum.smartphoneexperts.com/s....php?p=1389156

------------------------
    Originally Posted by moxsi

i'm not sure why i haven't mentioned it yet, ...but the directory i'm using is google phonebook. i know the directory is relatively new, ..but i've always been impressed with google and i figured if they didn't already have the #1 phone directory, ..they would in a short amount of time. maybe that's why they don't push their phonebook feature very much (yet?). sorry if i made a poor choice on that. but, it may have been the only choice, ..as the other site's core business is DA, and they are very protective of their data. if you read their usage terms (i did on a couple), i don't think you could legally "scrape" from their site, so you would have to license their data (which is costly). i assume this is what telepages is going to do.

anyhoo, ...just google, "phonebook: name, location" for residential. the business directory is a different engine.

----------------------

It is surprising that Google will let anyone scrap data from their sites for free and charge money for it.

I do not about you but I do not want Google, Yahoo or who ever X411 scrap their data from these days knocking on my door with a Law Suit.

- Tryda is Free,
    - Their content according to the results diplayed on my screen is from white pages
    - They provide a clear answer to your WHY question

"Why am I asked to provide the information in the Registration Screen?

In order to keep trydaTM free, we need to be able to prove to our partners 1) how many unique users we have (and show that we have eliminated duplicates and erroneous entries) and 2) describe the summary demographics of our user base. To do this, we need a minimum of two unique identifiers provided by you (since most names are not technically unique) to cross-reference. Again, this is done to enable us to provide you the best service possible at the best price possible (free!). But that doesn’t mean that we’re going to use that information to spam you. As stated in our Privacy Policy, we will not sell your individual information, nor send you unsolicited messages.
    whitepages.com's core business model is to provide free phonebook listing search in order to attract users to their sites where they can sell advertising. does this sound familiar ?? i don't think whitepages.com would appreciate anyone scraping from their site to accomplish the same business model. not to mention they even have a mobile solution right on thier site. (** this is assuming that tryda isn't licensing the information from whitepages.com. they may be doing exactly that. **).

if you're worried about a knock on the door, ..i think you've picked the wrong poison. but, don't worry, it won't be a knock on your door, ...it will be a cease and desist certified letter to the company.
    Now you got me worried...who want to buy a $10 ticket to take the witness stand ???
    Quote Originally Posted by moriss View Post
    Now you got me worried...who want to buy a $10 ticket to take the witness stand ???
    i wouldn't worry, ...at least until the RIAA gets involved.

anyway, i'll probably know for certain soon, ..as i've recently pitched some ideas to Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    Contact Rick through the website, he will fix you up. I had the same issue, I'm not sure how he did it, but he fixed it.
    Thanks, I just emailed him from the contactus tryda page... Can you tell me how he fixed it? Did he have to send you a different version or something of the sort?

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Heads UP

I looked up a business today and noticed that there was a message in the lower right side of the screen indicating that an update was available.

So I clicked on it and it updated OTA.

So now my version is 1.05

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thanks for the heads up!! OTA update processing now.
    Two questions for the masses:

I have my first treo ( verizon 755p). Can I load and run this program on the memory card?

My treo came with google maps in the ROM. Can you guys educate me on why you also have google maps in RAM or on your SD Cards? Is this something I will need to do?

thanks for your help.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast