Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    I have 2.5 yr old 650 w insurance. If this broke now, would they replace it with a 755? Or maybe they have some 700s still left, so if it broke in 3 months, what do they replace it with?
    If it ain't broke now, but let's say an elephant happened to step on it 3 months from now, I would guess that they would, maybe, replace it with a 700p.

Unless they were completely out of stock on the 700p.

I've played this game before. As a rule, they will send you the oldest version of your phone's type that they have in stock. You may get a refurb. 650, a new 700, a refurb 700, but not likely a new 755. You should be prepared to whine/gripe/complain/throw a tantrum to get an upgrade. In my experience, you get better luck getting a new upgraded phone at a store vs. calling in the claim. The stores are more likely to give you what they have in stock and it's not often they have alot of old phone models in stock. Another trick I played was to wait until I saw that they were temporarily out of stock on an older phone and then put in my claim. They had to upgrade me to satisfy the claim quickly. I'd wait a bit for the price to come down, too. They're more likely to upgrade you when it's not a $200 difference in the phones.

Good Luck
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I've had to replace my 650 under warranty a few times, the latest was a few days ago (right before getting my 755.) They're sending another 650.
    i called both VZW and then the insurance carrier (Asurion). told them that the sd card slot wasn't recognizing any cards. I was told by four different reps (two at each place) that they would replace my 650 with another 650... "we have plenty of refurbs". I offered to pay the difference to move up to a 700p-- i was told that wasn't a possibility.

Then i purchased a VZW 700p online at eBay. Received the phone and tried to do the VZW 700p update on line... well this would immediately throw the phone into an endless loop... after speaking with Palm and VZW, and 20 hard resets later) - determined that the software version on the phone was a "pre-production" sw version. as a result... would not be able to do the software upgrade.

Tried to return the phone to the ebay store and these people suggested a hard reset.... LOL.... i tried to explain... but finally in the end, I did get my $ back. think i'm gonna jump to Sprint for a 755p since i'm sick of paying VZW soo much money for data. unlimited data at VZW is like $45 while sprint is 15-30...
    ~fredp

T3 > Treo650-VZW Custom ROM Transcend 8GB SDHC >> 755p-Sprint/SERO Transcend 4GB SDHC
    Find a sprint employee email address online and sign up for a Sprint SERO plan through the sero website.

Unlimited data + 500 minutes + free nights & weekends at 7pm = $30
    Unlimited data + 1250 minutes + free nights & weekends at 7pm = $49

etc
    thanks papped....
    starting to search right now.

maybe i could get my company to rip the verizon tower off the roof and plant a new sprint tower...

~fredp

T3 > Treo650-VZW Custom ROM Transcend 8GB SDHC >> 755p-Sprint/SERO Transcend 4GB SDHC
    Quote Originally Posted by fredpmidd View Post
    i called both VZW and then the insurance carrier (Asurion). told them that the sd card slot wasn't recognizing any cards. I was told by four different reps (two at each place) that they would replace my 650 with another 650... "we have plenty of refurbs". I offered to pay the difference to move up to a 700p-- i was told that wasn't a possibility.

Then i purchased a VZW 700p online at eBay. Received the phone and tried to do the VZW 700p update on line... well this would immediately throw the phone into an endless loop... after speaking with Palm and VZW, and 20 hard resets later) - determined that the software version on the phone was a "pre-production" sw version. as a result... would not be able to do the software upgrade.

Tried to return the phone to the ebay store and these people suggested a hard reset.... LOL.... i tried to explain... but finally in the end, I did get my $ back. think i'm gonna jump to Sprint for a 755p since i'm sick of paying VZW soo much money for data. unlimited data at VZW is like $45 while sprint is 15-30...
    Unlimited data is FREE on Sprint's SERO plan... $30/month for 500 anytime minutes; $50/month for 1250 anytime; or $100/month for 2500 anytime -- all include unlimited data and unlimited text, among other things.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=SERO

use email: savings@sprintemi.com to get the deal
    Don't think they come with unlimited text anymore.

But you can get a sprint customer service rep to hook you up with unlimited text for $8.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Don't think they come with unlimited text anymore.

But you can get a sprint customer service rep to hook you up with unlimited text for $8.
    Actually, free unlimited text is available through SERO until 12/31/07.
    Thanks for all your help. Hooked up with Sprint/SERO.
    The confirmation email is shown below with all the "included" items. i'll port my number from VZW when my contract with VZW completes in 3 weeks.!!
    The TREO755p in Blue should be here Monday

Services Price/Each
    Total
    America - Roaming Included Included
    Included
    Caller ID Included
    Included
    EVDO Service Included
    Included
    Domestic LD Rate $0 Included
    Included
    Picture Mail Service Included
    Included
    Fair and Flexible Minutes Included
    Included
    SMS Text Messages Included
    Included
    Anytime Minutes Included
    Included
    Long Distance While Roaming Included
    Included
    Data Usage Included
    Included
    Mobile To Mobile Minutes Included
    Included
    Video Mail Included
    Included
    Enhanced VoiceMail Included
    Included
    Sprint EMP Referral FF 500 MRC 30.0
    Equip Ins $3, balance for ESRP 7.0
    CDMA Welcome Call Included
    Included

Accessories Qty Price/Each
    Total

Rate Plan and Service Estimated Monthly Charges:
    (excludes taxes & certain charges) 0.00

Estimated Shipping: 0.00

Estimated Tax: 25.72

Account Setup Fee: 0.00

Total: 275.71
    ~fredp

MoKoni..
    Thanks for the speedy reply and my most anxiously anticipated Christmas present!
    ~fredp

You're welcome! I am glad you were able to take advantage of the SERO plan -- it almost seems too good to be true, doesn't it? Also, don't forget to submit your rebate forms for your 755p! In case you don't have it already, you can get it here:

Sprint Rebate -- must be postmarked by 1/12/2008

BTW, I am absolutely thrilled with Sprint's coverage -- I don't miss VZW at all. Sprint's customer service isn't as good but I can deal with that for what I am saving.
    Again... Thanks for the GREAT info. i always found coverage and CS with VZW to be exceptional... but i've got 30 days on Sprint to test drive...
    i'm sure that even it comes even sought of close to VZW, all will be good and i'll have saved some $$.

MoKoni---
    i.o.u. a beer :-)
    ~fredp