Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The upgraded version also does contacts. This is a real killer app.

Check out this business setup

Google for Mail, Calendar, Contacts and docs

Goosync for all above on your Treo

Thunderbird + Lightning + Provider for offline e-mail & calendar.

All we need now is for Google to release tasks!
    NickDG, do you have a way of syncing the above with the below? For example the Contacts with the address book in Thunderbird? I use Thunderbird occasionally with Fastmail, and would like to sync it's address book up with the contacts I have either in my Palm or in Fastmail. Ideally I'd like to sync the three of them, but I'd even settle for two out of the three. I looked at Sunbird a little (that's similar to the Lightning, right?) I'm not sure what Provider is, haven't seen that mentioned before.
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
    NickDG, do you have a way of syncing the above with the below? For example the Contacts with the address book in Thunderbird? I use Thunderbird occasionally with Fastmail, and would like to sync it's address book up with the contacts I have either in my Palm or in Fastmail. Ideally I'd like to sync the three of them, but I'd even settle for two out of the three. I looked at Sunbird a little (that's similar to the Lightning, right?) I'm not sure what Provider is, haven't seen that mentioned before.
    Hi Nighthawk,

Here is what is "kinda" currently possible.

You keep Google mail, calendar and contacts as your primary sync point. Thunderbird, Lightning and goosync all use it to sync.

On your Treo, goosync will sync your calendar and contacts both ways.

On your desktop, Lightning syncs it's calendar both ways, contacts can only be queried through Thunderbird. So you won't be able to add new addresses to Thunderbird and have them replicate up to Google, but you can fully use your contacts in Google to look up contact info/e-mail addresses.

The tool to do this with Thunderbird/Lightning is called GCALDaemon. The "kinda" remark came from the fact that the contacts portion of the app is currently broken because Google changed the UI a bit. I hope they fix it soon.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The upgraded version also does contacts. This is a real killer app.

Check out this business setup

Google for Mail, Calendar, Contacts and docs

Goosync for all above on your Treo

Thunderbird + Lightning + Provider for offline e-mail & calendar.

I've been playing with this set-up too. Are you using Gmail IMAP? If so, what email program are you using on the Treo? I tried with Chatter, but it will *not* see Gmail items with attachments over 1MB, which is a deal killer for me. (Chatter does see those same items on Fastmail or other email providers).

Also, I tried Goosync and found it to be incredibly slow - it took more than 5 minutes to sync my calendar. Has that been your experience?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I am a subscriber to GooSync and received this info in an email from them today:

Tasks Sync On The Way: Beta Testers Required
    Tasks is now well and truly on its way! GooSync Tasks support has been in development for some time, and we are now looking for volunteers to test our beta release due later this month. Anyone interested please e-mail beta@goosync.com and provide your GooSync username as well as the device you are currently synchronising. Testers will then be randomly selected from all those who apply.

GooSync Tasks is due for full release in a March/April time frame and will only be available in the premium GooSync account. Full feature support and release date will be available soon.

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    How well does Goosync sync reoccurring events and reoccurring events with exceptions (i.e. repeat every Tuesday, except next Tuesday)? I played around with a few different gCal sync programs several months ago and none of them were able to handle reoccurring or reoccurring events with exceptions very well. My work calendar has lots of exceptions and this is a deal breaker.

Thanks for the help,
    Brian
    Last edited by brianblank; 02/10/2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: correct
    Palm Personal > Palm Pro > Visor w/ VisorPhone > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Centro > HTC Hero (briefly) > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung GS3 > Nexus 5
    So far it has worked fine for me with my events with simple exceptions. I haven't tried testing complicated cases or anything, but for my needs it's been fine. For example, my wife has an appointment every Monday and Wednesday. After a recent sync, I saw that the next Wed and the Monday after that were no longer on there. When I asked her about it, she said the appointments were canceled, so she went ahead on Google Calendar (she can access my "family" calendar) and deleted just those two. Worked just fine. Although I will ask her in the future to mark them canceled rather than just removing. If it had been a one time event, I probably wouldn't notice it removed.
    Last edited by nighthawk700; 02/10/2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: word clarification
    As far as I can tell, it has problems with exceptions too...

They are doing Beta testing, maybe that version works better...
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    After having problems with exceptions to recurring events for a long time, a recent PalmOS Goosync client update seems to have fixed them. Exceptions to recurring events now sync properly for me. If you are having problems, make sure to update to the latest PalmOS Goosync client.

Marc
    I have been experimenting with Goosync and Google Calendar and Jott.

That is, I can (speed)dial the Jott number on my phone, say "Google Calendar" and then say something like "Meeting with Tom at 2pm tomorrow."

Then I can sync by starting the Goosync application on my Centro (I'm using the free subscription).

Goosync is the weak link in all this, IMO. Even with my relatively good Sprint bandwidth, it takes about 5 minutes to sync, even when only adding a single appointment. Granted, I've had a Palm for many years, so there are nearly 8K appointments in my calendar.

I think that this is a design problem with Goosync. Some creative use of checksums could substantially reduce the bandwidth requirements & latency, especially when used in combination with Google Calendar's capability for retrieving events with a specified data range.
    http://code.google.com/apis/calendar...evingDateRange
    I think that this is a design problem with Goosync. Some creative use of checksums could substantially reduce the bandwidth requirements & latency, especially when used in combination with Google Calendar's capability for retrieving events with a specified data range.
    I am pretty sure you can modify Goosync so it will sync with a limited range of dates.

How to change sync range :
    - click on "My Device"
    - click on the "change" link next to the calendar syncing
    - change the "days in past" setting to something smaller (0-365 days)
    - change the "days in future" setting to something smaller (0-365 days)

(Note - I have a paid account...this may be an pay only option)

F
    Last edited by franko353; 04/03/2008 at 03:26 PM.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Yes, that's a paid feature.

But regardless of whether it's a paid feature or not, why should you have to configure a narrow time window, unless you truly don't want it to synchronize some of your appointments? In this case, you're configuring a parameter to compensate for Goosync's poor software architecture.

It would be simple enough for Goosync to checksum (for example) four different sets of appointments:
    * past
    * 0-6 days in the future
    * 7-30 days in the future
    * 31->infinity days in the future

These four calculations can be done locally on the Palm and Goosync's server.

Then they can just compare the results, and see which subsets need to be updated.

90% of the time, you'll only have to update the 0-6 day subset, IMHO. And it would run in about 5 seconds of wall-clock time, instead of 3 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Goosync is the weak link in all this, IMO. Even with my relatively good Sprint bandwidth, it takes about 5 minutes to sync, even when only adding a single appointment. Granted, I've had a Palm for many years, so there are nearly 8K appointments in my calendar.
    Dude, while you're obviously familiar with coding, 8,000-frikn entries?!? Get over yourself and delete a few years.
    I'm not sure, but I think that this has to do with repeating appointments (e.g., an "appointment" every two weeks reminding me that today is payday), rather than the extent of my calendar.

Mass calendar deletions would probably require me to export my calendar from Palm Desktop, manually delete the old stuff, and then re-import the smaller calendar. Not out of the question, but something I'd rather not spend time on.

Does anyone out there purge their old calendar entries? I've never seen any reason to do so until now. And I'm glad that I had my 2007 entries when I was finishing my taxes yesterday.
    Alright, sorry for the snippy comment... repeating entries would escalate things quickly.

Listen, it sounds like you prefer palm desktop, but there's are other ways of syncing... if you sync to ms outlook, gmail now does 2-way syncing with it.

Sync with outlook from your treo, then, when in the calendar view, use the 'entries' version to get a huge honkin list of your events. Select everything from 2006 and earlier, and delete, or even better, MOVE them to a new calendar. (Create a new calendar section by right-clicking inbox and creating a new folder, choose calendar as the type of the folder.) Sync outlook with gmail and voila.

Nice thing about that approach is that you can save a copy of your email for archival/offline searching/backup purposes if you wish.
    Sounds like a plan ... thanks. Every few years I think about syncing with Outlook instead of Palm Desktop. Maybe it's time for me to take the plunge (when I have some time to work on this).
    franko353
    I can refer someone if you are interested...
    If you wouldn't mind, I'd like a referral (pm is fine)
    thanks
    hi ppl may i have a referral code pls? lots of thanks!!

i have 0 post counts..so..its lynnhsu108 @yahoo com
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnshoe View Post
    hi ppl may i have a referral code pls? lots of thanks!!
    Lynn,

I just sent a referral to your yahoo address.

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    has anyone been able to get NuevaSync working with exchange settings in VersaMail? Seems like this would be a much better solution, you just have to be able to disable the email syncing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast