1.    #1  
    OK, I am frustrated with the EVDO speeds I am getting with my Treo 700p and tethering to a laptop. I got the device about a month ago and started testing speeds, and am averaging 25 KB/s (200 Kb/s). To test, I have been going to download.com and downloading a file via Internet Explorer to see real world speeds.

I started to think that Sprint just way over stated their EVDO speeds. I have even tested in different cities (Tampa) thinking my small town might have something to do with it, but I got the same speeds in Tampa (tested using Bluetooth connection and USB cable).

A friend just purchased a Sprint EVDO PCMCIA (laptop) card. I asked him to come over to test speeds, so we were sitting in the exact same location with the same number of bars. He received speeds of 60 75 KB/s (480 600) consistently while I was getting my regular 25 KB/s (200 Kb/s). This was downloading the same exact file from download.com.

What gives? Do newer models of palm smart phones handle EVDO better? Does anyone have a fix / suggestion for this?

Thanks
    Try mobilespeedtest.com and post what your speed is....does it vary during times of the day?
    Quote Originally Posted by primags View Post
    OK, I am frustrated with the EVDO speeds I am getting with my Treo 700p and tethering to a laptop. I got the device about a month ago and started testing speeds, and am averaging 25 KB/s (200 Kb/s). To test, I have been going to download.com and downloading a file via Internet Explorer to see real world speeds.

I started to think that Sprint just way over stated their EVDO speeds. I have even tested in different cities (Tampa) thinking my small town might have something to do with it, but I got the same speeds in Tampa (tested using Bluetooth connection and USB cable).

A friend just purchased a Sprint EVDO PCMCIA (laptop) card. I asked him to come over to test speeds, so we were sitting in the exact same location with the same number of bars. He received speeds of 60 75 KB/s (480 600) consistently while I was getting my regular 25 KB/s (200 Kb/s). This was downloading the same exact file from download.com.

What gives? Do newer models of palm smart phones handle EVDO better? Does anyone have a fix / suggestion for this?

Thanks
    Also remeber that the Sprint card is Rev. A and the Treo only Rev.0. There would be significant upload speeds between the two.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    yo
    hey i have a 700wx...tethered ive gotten anywhere between 300-700k
    the week before for some reason i was stuck in 1x mode which sucked. 20-100k
    in los angeles
  5.    #5  
    davidra and cardriver - I don't trust going to the mobile speed tests on the phone (or even computer for that matter).

I have two browsers on my phone and one gives drasticly (above what sprint says it should be) high numbers and the other browswer does the opposite.

I think the only real way to test is to tether your phone and go to a known good high speed source and attempt to download a file, and see what Internet Explorer (or Firefox) says it is and you get the general idea of download speeds.

MilenkoD - you might be on to something..but you only mention upload speed in your message. Did you mean download speeds perhaps?
    2wire.com has a speed test that's pretty accurate for mobile phones.

primags, what browsers do you have? Some browsers, ie. opera, use an intermediary server to process pages. In this case you'll get the speeds from the test site to the server instead of your phone.
  7.    #7  
    I did some more testing, and found the phone actually has better speeds than I was experiencing previously - maybe some kind of connection problem the day I was testing.

Using the USB cable, I tested again and the speeds were about 500kbps.
    I tested using bluetooth and was only able to get 250kbps.

So, if you are testing your speeds on your computer, remember to use usb cable to get real world results.
    Yes, bluetooth is inherently slow and isn't designed for high speed.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!