1.    #1  
    I've been trying to find fixes and workarounds for the crashes and loss of user preferences I've experienced ever since I got the 680. I think I finally got this thing to rock-solid, stable performance and I wanted to share what I did with the rest of the board in hopes that others may benefit. I'm not a techie, so don't expect any techie jargon. Everything I've learned, I've learned from reading TC posts.

I installed the 2.11 upgrade using the SD method. It seemed to go fine until BBVFS ran its usual backup and I lost all my user preferences and registration numbers. I couldn't re-install from any of my BBVFS checkpoints, either.

After hard resetting and restoring from hotsync, I found out about Reset Doctor and how it saves your user preferences in case of a crash. The loss of these preferences has to do with Palm's memory structure. After installing RD, I configured it to the recommended defaults and let it go to work...crashing my 680. Frustration was short-lived though because Reset Doctor's developer (Rob) provides a troubleshooting guide with RD that explains what's happening and how to fix it. [That's why I've bought darn near everything he's developed.] The cache manager (which keeps the cache memory "clean") was causing the crashes because many of the 3rd party programs don't handle Palm's NVFS memory well. Rob recommends installing Resco Locker (free) and locking certain programs that aren't designed for NVFS. I installed RL and locked (code only) the progs that I suspected were causing a conflict (KeyCaps, Phone Technician, Beyond Contacts, City ID, and BBVFS). It might be one of these, it might be all of them, I don't know. My logic was to lock everything that loads with the OS and/or runs in the background. Chatter, Initiate, and a few other are locked by design, so I didn't have to do anything with those. All that went smoothly and my Treo has been running sure and stable for several days now. It seems to fun faster now, too.

Again, I hope others can benefit from this post. I'll be watching for a more technical explanation of how/why locking the code works from the "more smarter" members of the TC community.
    That's cool

But the goal should be to get a stable Treo without using Resco Locker or Reset Doctor to save (backup) your Saved Prefs file.

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    That's cool

But the goal should be to get a stable Treo without using Resco Locker or Reset Doctor to save (backup) your Saved Prefs file.

it took me a long time to figure out that the KBLightsOff application was the source of my 700P resets. It runs in the background and would slowly deplete/fragment DBcache until it reached the point at which Blazer would reset the 700P when invoked.

After removing it, my 700P has been stable (no crashes in 2 months now).

If you're experiencing random resets, take a look at all background applications you've got running and remove them one at a time and see if the situation improves.

As always, YMMV.
    Is there list of Apps that need to be locked?
    3Com PalmPilot Personal > Handspring Visor Deluxe > Palm Tungsten T > PalmOne Tungsten T5 > PalmOne Treo650

Current Device: Palm Treo 680 w/1.12 Cust1 ROM, 4GB SDHC, GlobalSAT GPS Receiver
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ndy4eva View Post
    Is there list of Apps that need to be locked?
    If you install Resco, it will show you which of your 3rd party apps are locked and which ones aren't. The ones that "need" to b locked are the ones that are causing crashes and resets. For me, that meant the ones that loaded at startup or ran in background.