1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the New Instant Messenger feature in 2.11 uses the DATA or TEXT Message plan for sending IMs. My son and I have unlimited DATA, but only 200 Text messages. I believe Mondu works over the Data plan, but I wanted to know if this did too.

My apologies if this was posted elsewhere, I could not find one.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Hey, Thanks for asking. I checked and they are billed as text messages. I'm pay as you go on texting. No more for me. You saved me some $s, man.

Thanks!
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    You know I hadn't even thought of checking that, and yes, it looks like it's using TXT messages. That sucks. Oh well, guess I only use it in emergencies, I've only got 200 TXT as well.
    I just checked and sure enough, my wife had 50 TXT on our account in 2 days. Guess its back to Mundu.
    WOW, I'm glad I saw this post, I thought for sure it would be data.
    Thanks for the heads up!!!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    That figures. I'd really, really hoped it was data. Oh well. Guess that's completely useless for us folks outside the US, then, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    That figures. I'd really, really hoped it was data. Oh well. Guess that's completely useless for us folks outside the US, then, isn't it?
    Actually in a lot of places, it'd be better.. SMS is free in many countries.

But the IM built-in only works on AT&T as far as I know. So yes, what you said is right.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Very interesting. I was reading about this on the Palm KB site and it doesn't really make it any clearer...

"
    Instant Messenger uses a unique blend of data and SMS to provide a connected experience and better emulate IM apps that run on your desktop computer. When your smartphone is performing other tasks, such as making a phone call, or is in standby, the data connection may disconnect. The Instant Messenger app will then use SMS to resume the data connection when you receive an instant message. The data session will remain active until interrupted by another action, or the phone enters a standby state.
    "

kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/45189_en.html

I would really like to try this software, but i'm not on AT&T, i'm actually in Australia on Optus.

how could i get a copy of this IM app?
    from the rest of the description it actually sounds pretty good.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chacalau View Post
    Very interesting. I was reading about this on the Palm KB site and it doesn't really make it any clearer...

"
    Instant Messenger uses a unique blend of data and SMS to provide a connected experience and better emulate IM apps that run on your desktop computer. When your smartphone is performing other tasks, such as making a phone call, or is in standby, the data connection may disconnect. The Instant Messenger app will then use SMS to resume the data connection when you receive an instant message. The data session will remain active until interrupted by another action, or the phone enters a standby state.
    "

kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/45189_en.html

I would really like to try this software, but i'm not on AT&T, i'm actually in Australia on Optus.

how could i get a copy of this IM app?
    from the rest of the description it actually sounds pretty good.
    Well, it's a product originally authored by OZ Communications Inc. Since the appearance of their IM product on the 680, OZ was purchased by Nokia. I suspect some version of it will show up on one of their devices.
    Yup. For sure it's text. I thought it was data and racked up an $80 bill inside of one convention week. At the time $60 would have paid for a texting package for the whole year.
    Time is money, and life is change.