Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    OK, I know only I can make this decision, but I'm struggling with it. I'm tempted to bag the update, which is totally unlike me. I always jump on updates and new "features". Surprisingly, I've never been burned. Anyway, my 680 has always been working great. It does what I need it to and lets me play, too. I'm afraid of upsetting the applecart, so to speak. You know, "If it ain't broke..." I look at the list of enhancements and this is what I get:

* Push to Talk1 Don't want it.
    * Corporate email as it arrives2 Don't need it.
    * IM on your Treo smartphone Never IM'ed
    * Easy access to additional services Do I want this crap?
    * Power saving enhancements My battery has been pretty good.
    * Supports larger expansion cards I'm using an 8GB SDHC card already.
    * Enhanced ringtone support I hear this isn't any easier in 2.11
    * Cingular, now the new AT&T Is this important?
    * Three updates in one I got all three already.

What am I missing here? Is my reception going to improve? Is my UI going to look more modern. (Man if THAT happened I'd be all over it!) I just don't see why I want to risk the pain of reinstalling all my software if things don't go well.

All that being said, I kinda want to update, just because it's there....

Help?
    I'm no help, sorry, I bit the bullet and updated. I like the option of having IM, but now that I know it uses TXT instead of DATA, I'll only use it when I really need to. Other than that, well, it's alright, hasn't caused any problems. Doesn't really add anything I needed. At least it gave me a chance to clean out all the old crap and start fresh with the latest versions of my favorite programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    OK, I know only I can make this decision, but I'm struggling with it. I'm tempted to bag the update, which is totally unlike me. I always jump on updates and new "features". Surprisingly, I've never been burned. Anyway, my 680 has always been working great. It does what I need it to and lets me play, too. I'm afraid of upsetting the applecart, so to speak. You know, "If it ain't broke..." I look at the list of enhancements and this is what I get:

* Push to Talk1 Don't want it.
    * Corporate email as it arrives2 Don't need it.
    * IM on your Treo smartphone Never IM'ed
    * Easy access to additional services Do I want this crap?
    * Power saving enhancements My battery has been pretty good.
    * Supports larger expansion cards I'm using an 8GB SDHC card already.
    * Enhanced ringtone support I hear this isn't any easier in 2.11
    * Cingular, now the new AT&T Is this important?
    * Three updates in one I got all three already.

What am I missing here? Is my reception going to improve? Is my UI going to look more modern. (Man if THAT happened I'd be all over it!) I just don't see why I want to risk the pain of reinstalling all my software if things don't go well.

All that being said, I kinda want to update, just because it's there....

Help?
    I agree with your assessment. No reason for me to update.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I did the update yesterday on 2 phones. It seems a lot more stable on T-mobile. Previously I've been crashing 1 or 2 times a day. No crashes since the update.
    I'm torn. I'd like to play with the IM, but don't really need it. Won't use push to talk, and it will take the side button away from me. Got Mini tones, what do I need the new (BS) MP3 install thingy for??

Now the battery life improvement, that I've got use for! I'm all for better battery life. How do I get that without this other stuff??!! (I'm sure there is no answer for this, but it has to be said!)
    Be careful with the IM app. See this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=158161

It uses texts not data.

Back to Mundu.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Anecdotally, my battery seems better after updating. The response is snappier, too - even navigating my 1000+ contact list has sped up. I have no need for the other crap (TV on EDGE? Really?), but I'm happy with the update.
    After a while the Treos seem to get "cluttered". A hard reset will remove this clutter, since it wipes all the memory. Even if you didn't do the update, it would have a snappier response after a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. Still undecided. Perhaps when I get bored over Christmas break I'll play around with it. Too busy at work now to lose my palm for a few days (or hours) if things don't go well.

I still need to Christmas shop for my wife!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat. Don't really need or want the new features. Don't see anything really compelling. What I do know for sure is that I would be really peeved if I had to spend a lot of time reinstalling apps, or had stability problems after the upgrade. My 680 is very stable now and all the apps I use run well. So for me, no upgrade.
    I haven't updated for pretty much the same reasons you've outlined in your list. I'm sure 2.11 has its perks for those who might benefit from the new features, but for me personally, my 680 seems pretty stable and user-friendly as is. I wouldn't want to mess up a good thing. As you said, "if it ain't broke...".
    I have an unlocked 680 so the update is not available as of today (20th Dec).

Seems to me the upgrade is not that much of an upgrade if you've already installed the available updates and there also seems to be a risk of catastrophic failure. My comments:
    1. The battery life improvements appear to be based on different default settings and not on any actual software improvements. This means you can change them yourself anyway so what's the point?
    2. The push email update has been available for some time (for unlocked phones at least) so I don't know if the current update is a further improvement. The problem with the 680 is that phone doesn't have a built in VPN client and there isn't a 3rd party client that supports autosync anyway so you can't get push email with a VPN in any case - does anyone know if this is solved with the update?
    3. The occasional lock-up when taking calls has been a major issue, this might be fixed but the anecdotal evidence is so variable that its hard to make a decision. Some people claim a vast performance improvement and some claim no difference at all so its hard to tell.

On balance I'll treat this like an XP service pack. Wait a few weeks to see the general experience and then decide. Anyway its academic for me at the moment since the upgrade for unlocked phones is still not available.

Cheers,
    R
    I'll say it again. My Treo 680 is much more stable after the upgrade. I've had 0 crashes. Before the upgrade my Treo was crashing once or twice a day. That is my main reason for doing the upgrade!
    That's the thing Rich, the variety of problems is soo huge that its impossible for any two users to come to the same conclusion with this phone.

While your having a couple of crashes a day with your 680 pre 2.11 update, I go weeks without any problems at all. I've never had the phone lock up on a call problem that plague some here.

I'm thinking that that I won't be updating for now. Glad its helping some tho.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Since I installed the update I seem to have no problems with my bluetooth connections to my motorola headsets or my GPS gadget. Previously the connections seemed to be a bit random. This may simply be due to the hard reset and reinstallation of the devices, but I am a happier camper now. I've had no phone resets or problems otherwise. Seems more stable after installation to me. (I don't need the new features and find that minitones is better for mp3 ringtones than fiddling around with the other options anyway...)
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    I don't have a BT headset anymore (daughter destroyed it), but no problems at all with my Holux 236 GPS.
    I vote for the update (got unbranded GSM so got to wait for it): I can't think they haven't touched the code in any way. I think they fixed bugs here and there, improved and optimized a bit, even if they haven't mentioned this in detail.

sometimes a single instruction makes the difference with stability.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro