Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I've been using the 700p since it came out last year, but now have been having problems with battery life and definitely need a new phone. I know this has been asked multiple times, but is the 755p much less buggier than the 700p? I've been tempted (on multiple occasions) to switch over to the Blackberry system.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
    I've been using the 700p since it came out last year, but now have been having problems with battery life and definitely need a new phone. I know this has been asked multiple times, but is the 755p much less buggier than the 700p? I've been tempted (on multiple occasions) to switch over to the Blackberry system.
    There's funny medicine involved here. With a Blackberry, you'll use your thumb without using your Palm; and that's been shown to cause hand cancer.
    I played around with the Pearl last week...it was like driving in England.
    I've had Treo's since the 600 and consider myself an pretty big fan of Palm and the Treo itself...but I was issued a Blackberry 8703e a year ago at work and really grew to appreciate it. It just works. And now that I'm leaning Blackberry more then ever, I'm really into the Curve....waiting for Sprint to pick it up and I'm all done with Treo. But I agree with Crashmcwhly on the Pearl....may as well not have a keyboard at all with that thing.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Be still my heart, such Pearl bashing! I have both the 700p and a BB Pearl from vwz and both have their own merits. The Palm is well, a Palm and you have legacy establishment from the past 10 years. BB is the, relatively speaking, new kid on the block and the software and development reflects the same. The Pearl takes some getting use to I will admit however, it is not an impossible journey. If you have the option, the Curve is a more direct size comparison to the Treo albeit thinner.

I would like to see a more stable Palm product as the interface is well thought out and highly customizable. With a BB you are going to learn how to drive it or you aren't going anywhere (England . . . I love it!) The good part is that the BB does work and is reliable. Test drive one out, vwz gives you 30 days, just give it at least 3 of the 4 weeks. Anything less is a waste of your time because you will not have learned the OS. Heck, say what you will, different is different. Both basically cover the same ground.

Just my $0.02!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eShawPM View Post
    Be still my heart, such Pearl bashing! I have both the 700p and a BB Pearl from vwz and both have their own merits. The Palm is well, a Palm and you have legacy establishment from the past 10 years. BB is the, relatively speaking, new kid on the block and the software and development reflects the same. The Pearl takes some getting use to I will admit however, it is not an impossible journey. If you have the option, the Curve is a more direct size comparison to the Treo albeit thinner.

I would like to see a more stable Palm product as the interface is well thought and out and highly customizable. With a BB you are going to learn how to drive it or you aren't going anywhere (England . . . I love it!) The good part is that the BB does work and is reliable. Test drive one out, vwz gives you 30 days, just give it at least 3 of the 4 weeks. Anything less is a waste of your time because you will not have learned the OS. Heck, say what you will, different is different. Both basically cover the same ground.

Just my $0.02!
    What if, like me, you have 9 years worth of calendar entries, 1200+ contacts and a bizzillion memos that you need to access, add to and sync every day, the databases originating from the Palm m105; not to mention weaning yourself from the convenience of a touch screen, tactile and on-screen qwerty keyboards--and Graffiti. I was nearly suicidal after I gave up Graffiti on my Samsung i500 for the 755p; I'd certainly off myself if I were forced to use a a thumb-dumb Blackberry. That's my $0.02
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I think I may take the plunge and try Verizon's Blackberry offering. Question: how does the phone book work on the Blackberry compared to the Treo? If you sync with Outlook for your e-mail, do you have to use the Outlook phone book as well? With my Treo 700p, I liked having a separate phone book of my personal contacts, completely distinct from Outlook's. Secondly, can you enter memos directly on your desktop and then sync that with your BB?
    I think you'll find many differences with the BB, compared to your 10 yr legacy of using Palm devices. The question becomes - can you adjust to those differences?

Don't give up on the 755p - mine is solid as a rock, and the keyboard is MUCH better than my 700p - just better from a tactile perspective, and yes, still having the touchscreen is big to me.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I think you'll find many differences with the BB, compared to your 10 yr legacy of using Palm devices. The question becomes - can you adjust to those differences?

Don't give up on the 755p - mine is solid as a rock, and the keyboard is MUCH better than my 700p - just better from a tactile perspective, and yes, still having the touchscreen is big to me.
    I guess the million dollar question is how adequately does the 755p address the bugginess and lags with the 700p? Does the browser work any faster? Are the lags still palpable? Maybe I'll camp out on the Blackberry side, waiting for an improved Palm product next year.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    grew tired of waiting to upgrade by 2.5 yr old 650 on vzw. really looked into BB over past 6 months, and concluded a curve would be best. unfortunately, no curve coming to vzw that is announced yet, but the pearl came out. really like the form factor, played with it, but didn't like the predictive keys. some people say that it just takes time, but i really wanted a letter for each key. also, screen size was just too small.

got a samsung i760 last mon nite, returned it tue morn. wasn't keen on windows os, not that it would be bad, but wasn't easy one handed ness. also learned that didn't like the slider key pad. wanted the keys out front, like on treo or bb.

i use the phone first as phone, then do lots of look ups, some email, etc, but want 1 handed ness.

so its either 755, or maybe wait a month or 2 and see if BB puts out curve on vzw. just my impressions.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the bb curve won't edit and store word and excel files without an expensive 3rd party app.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvkim View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the bb curve won't edit and store word and excel files without an expensive 3rd party app.
    When I looked into it the only app that could do this was docs to go. It is not included and the price was
    $99.99
    Even with the bugginess of my 700p, I still came back to it after trying out a BB 8830. The BB OS was rock solid, but the BB application software simply can't compare to what's available for Palm OS, especially ChatterEmail and--dare I say it?--Blazer.