1.    #1  
    I see many of you are jumping in and getting the 2.11 with general approval overall. But the question that does not seem to be getting answered is whether those of us with unbranded/unlocked T680's benefit or lose if we update ours.

For what it is worth, I am an AT&T guy with an unlocked unbranded phone. I don't think I will jump ship to T-Mo anytime soon, even though my contract is almost up...I'm pretty happy I guess. But is there any reason I would or would not want to update my firmware?

Thanks

Skigs
    Updated is Okie i think you should update
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post
    But is there any reason I would or would not want to update my firmware?

Thanks

Skigs
    I suppose not, but personally unless I was experiencing real trouble and maybe even if I was, I'd hold off until they issue an unlocked update. in fact as an unlocked AT&T customer that's exactly what I'm doing
    Palm has said an update for the unlocked model is coming "soon". Why not wait and see how that goes?
    Im sure you're a smart guy and you can read all the different major treo forums out there.

Wait. Seriously. Too many people bricking their phones for my tastes. I'd say wait and even then, don't do it unless you need to. wait till you can count 20 or so people who say they've gotten updated with no problems, then update. Let everyone else be the test suckers then you can sit back and enjoy your working treo... uhh... oh.. snap... wait... I'm waiting for you guys to try it out...

NVM... go ahead a do it!
    I did the update as well on my non-us 1.04ROW. I did not really see a difference to be honest. I went back to the original though because I am on a QWERTZ keyboard. I can not find the necessary files to get it to work properly under 2.11. Other than that it was fine.

Cheers,
    Philipp
    ok, I count for 3 successful upgrades then. I upgraded to james first 2.11 then up-upgraded to tomtastics. Then I downgraded when I thought it busted Audible Air (which it didn't). Finally, I upgraded again to Tomtastic's latest version. So.. that's 3 successful upgrades. (A total of probably 6 ROM changes on _this_ treo...)
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Did Palm really say that an update for the unlocked T680 will be released soon? I wonder what their definition of "soon" is...
    Follow Me On

I have not so much time to play with my Treo. that's why I decided to wait for unbraded ROM update AND Palm Desktop 6.2 for Vista finally released: then I'll perform an hard reset and reinstall everything from scratch on both Desktop and Palm.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Did Palm really say that an update for the unlocked T680 will be released soon? I wonder what their definition of "soon" is...
    They announced this on the official Palm blog on December 11th:

The unlocked GSM Treo 680 software update will be available soon. Palm is offering a service that will send registered users an email informing them when the update is available. To register, go to http://palm.com/680update and sign up.

Thanks,

Greg Agustin - Product Manager
    As you can see from folks' responses, not everyone believes this will happen within our lifetimes. As to their definition of "soon"... whatever it is, it ain't the same as mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post
    I see many of you are jumping in and getting the 2.11 with general approval overall. But the question that does not seem to be getting answered is whether those of us with unbranded/unlocked T680's benefit or lose if we update ours.

For what it is worth, I am an AT&T guy with an unlocked unbranded phone. I don't think I will jump ship to T-Mo anytime soon, even though my contract is almost up...I'm pretty happy I guess. But is there any reason I would or would not want to update my firmware?

Thanks

Skigs
    I would go with the branded ATT 680 and Update. I had the unbranded, and experienced many more freeze ups on message notifications etc. I think it was a bluetooth conflict. If you don't use bluetooth with yours you may not have the freezing problem. So far my branded model with the update has been more stable. Also if your contract is up why not got to Sprint for the 755. Same great Palm OS, but with fast evdo data.
    Palm Pilot Personal> Palm Pilot Professional> Palm 3e >Palm Tungsten e> Handspring Treo 90> Handspring Treo 180> Handspring Treo 270> Treo 600GSM Unbranded> Treo 650GSM Unbranded> Treo 680GSM Unbranded> Treo 750 ATT 3 Days > Back to Treo 680 Unbranded > Treo 680 ATT Branded W/Update> Black GSM Centro. Ouch it hurts to think about how many Palm Products I've been through.>Black Sprint Centro. Sprint Palm Pre.
    The unlocked GSM update is now available and looks to be identical to the AT&T update from last month, except for missing the special AT&T software, such as Push To Talk, AT&T Mall, and so on.
    Don't--too many bugs and problems with it. Maybe some people have had success but there have been a lot of problems! I'm using an unlocked Treo with an AT&T Wireless (meaning, preCingular merger) SIM card--did it to hold on to my rate plan -neither Cingular nor "new AT&T" has the same rate plan.