Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Interesting... I've had my Mogul for several weeks and I've done the ROM updates and some tweaks and while it's harder to use one handed, I still think it's pretty cool. The battery life (after the ROM update) is much improved and better than my Treos. The fonts are small, but I just reset them to be bigger and that helped dramatically. I've got a nice interface plug in to the today screen which is very graphics (iPhone like buttons, but not the iPhone interface). The wifi for me works very, very well. I LOVE being able to multi-task.

If Palm made a multi-tasking treo that worked and had wifi and GPS, with a reliable BT connection, I'd consider it. I'd prefer a physical keyboard on the face of the phone.

If they turn on the GPS on the Mogul (as Sprint and HTC say will happen during this calendar quarter), the Mogul will be a very, very complete phone in terms of its feature set. The software stuff is so customizable, that I can get used to it. We'll see whether they really come thru w/ the GPS...
    Glad to hear it's working out. I had mine for several months since launch until 2.16 ROM release and it was nothing but problems (plus I was pretty active on the PPCGeeks boards and I still read up on it there). So many problems for SO many people on all ROMS (official and custom).

I don't really know why multitask is needed on Palm. It closes out apps on exit, but practically every app can be reopened in the same state it was closed. Those that you need are designed with background mode (im clients, PTunes, etc) anyways.

Compared to WM which will run the device out of memory unless you get a 3rd party app that actually closes applications (and still doesnt prevent you from running it out of memory) so far I actually like the Palm OS system better. Top that off with memory leaks (which have not been 100% fixed in the Mogul even on the latest ROM).

I think GPS will be a lot less attractive to many users once Google Maps with My Location leaves beta, which is free compared to $200-300 software suite + BT GPS receiver or waiting for Sprint to actually unlock AGPS, which other carriers already have active.
    Last edited by papped; 01/10/2008 at 08:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I called Assurion and they are sending me a Mogul, so I guess that's the end of the Palm era for me. Everything from a Kyocera Palm Phone to the 755P, I've had 'em all. I do love the treo design, but since Assurion was willing to send me the Mogul, I figure I'll give it a try. If I don't like it, I can always come back to the Palm family and get a centro or another 755P....

How did you get Asurion to give you a Mogul for a 755?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    I called Assurion and they are sending me a Mogul, so I guess that's the end of the Palm era for me. Everything from a Kyocera Palm Phone to the 755P, I've had 'em all. I do love the treo design, but since Assurion was willing to send me the Mogul, I figure I'll give it a try. If I don't like it, I can always come back to the Palm family and get a centro or another 755P....
    Dude, you do not want a Mogul!

Seriously, every company I have ever worked for has frowned on Windoze Mobile due to the non-intuitive interface and overall clunkiness, kind of like Vista, and these were all MS backbone shops with Exchange servers, etc.

Seriously though, I'm an IT guy, and I spent 2 hrs trying to help a friend , who, for some reason, actually purchased a ringtone from Sprint. The damn thing had DRM package. When we tried to download the necessary Win Media Player files, it brought us to the Windows 95-Me Windows Media Player page, instead of one for Win Mobile 6. Then, it appeared that we had to actually move the file (very tedious) to the device ROM. Bottom line, even after my call to my special Sprint escalation people in KC, nobody could figure it out.

Bottom line is moving around that phone compared to a Treo is like night and day. The only advantage of Win Mobile 6 over Win Mobile 5 is that they added more touch capabilities. But you still can not use the thing one handed, and just like the NVFS in the 755, the file system does not know how to release memory when an application is closed. It's also very clunky, and the keyboard is way harder to use than the 755, and it DOES NOT light up. Lastly, my friend said that the battery was completely drained after 3 hrs of use.

Having had a Palm since the Palm III, and agreeing that the Palm OS is a POS right now, I would still take it any day over a Win Mobile device, especially the mogul. The 755P does have problems, but is defenitly way bettr than the 650 or 700W or P.

Just my two-cents.

I know the manager at one of the stores here in SF and he said that about 1 in 4 get returned!!! The Treo (well maybe the 650- i went through 7 or 8) is really not that bad once you get the hang of it and don't load too much junk on it. Docs to Go is better than the built-in mini Office app on the Mogul, as well as many other apps that work way better on the POS than on WinMobile.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up.
    Worst of all the Mogul has issues that are not WM specific, i.e. HTC Touch does not have the same problems the Mogul has (and the Mogul has half the RAM).

Sprint actually started denying people that wanted to trade in their Mogul for the Touch.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12