Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    So I wake up this AM and pick up my Treo 755p and it's trying to hotsync, though its not plugged into a cradle/cable. I hit cancel and it asks me if I want to update the ROM. I say no and it goes to a screen that shows the numbers 0.19 in the corner and red, blue, and white solids all over the screen. After freaking out a bit, and looking at some posts on forums to try to determine the issue, I pull out the battery and reinsert it, while holding down the power key. It asks if I want to reset data, I say no and it powers up as usual.

Okay, so now its working again, but then 15 minutes later it goes into the trying to hotsync on it's own again! What is going on? Help...
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Wow, no one else has had this happen? So the same thing has been happening again and again for days now.

The phone tries to hotsync itself, even when not in the cradle or connected to anything. It gets stuck in that mode and when I hit cancel it stops, them immediately starts over again. Finally I have to take out the battery to stop it, and when I do it gets stuck in this "boot screen" mode of some sort, with red, green, blue and white squares all over the screen.

The past couple of days I have gotten it fixed every time, by sheer luck, after doing literally hundreds of tries at a hard reset. But, alas, as of this morning, even that's not working. It's just stuck in this perpetual boot screen mode and won't reset! Sigh.

I tried to do a zero out reset and that didn't work either. Is my phone gone beyond all repair?
    my phone did this right after I wiped it off with a damp rag... I must have accidentally wet something inside up... so I pulled the battery and placed it in front of a heater for a few minutes, and the problem never returned... has your phone gotten wet recently?
    HTC Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Dude, you are a genius. All day long I have been trying to hard reset and figure this thing out.

Yes, it recently got wet...not soaked, but damp due to an accident. Took the battery out, put a blow drying to the unit for about 3 minutes, popped the battery back in and it works fine now! My god, I have been fighting this for 12 hours now and that's all it took.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Interesting...so after getting it to work again, went to bed, and it again tried to start syncing on its own overnight. I have no processes set up to run at night (like backups and such), this is a new thing that occurred out of the blue.

Then it went into that boot screen again, when I cancelled.

Put the blow drying to it to warm the connections again, popped in the battery and it was fine!!!

Has anyone every had issues with their 755p getting "cold" and doing weird things. Now I am wondering if the temperature is causing problems. Its warm during the day (Florida), but I have standalone AC that I run in the bedroom at night (I need it real COLD to sleep). It gets down to about 69 at night. Could cold be affecting the treo in some way?

I know it's bizzare, but I am trying to pinpoint the issue/solutions and am grasping at straws since I haven't made any changes/updates or anything to my treo in a good four or five months. Heck I haven't even synced to my computer in weeks, so I am clueless as to why this is happening all of the sudden, and usually overnight.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Nora, I now find my 755 doing the same thing, found your thread while searching the forums for possible solutions. Did you ever resolve your issue? This is a new issue for me. for those that will ask, I have performed the rom update. (before this began) don't know if it is related. Unit has never been wet.

John P
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Nope, I'm afraid not. Luckily I have insurance with Sprint and sent it in for a replacement. Still would like to know what causes it, so I don't run into it again.
    Mine does the same thing right after it got wet. I though about drying it. I tried putting it in front of the blow dryer. I got around it a few times but now it is dominant. Not sure what's left to do. It has been weeks doing it.
    I realize this is not helpful but I wanted to share. I had this happen to me a few days after I did the recent update. I spent 4 days working on it, trying to restore from backups, reinstall the update etc. I took it to the Sprint store and when I powered it up to show him the problem it was working fine again and has been ever since. After reading the posts here I wonder if it was the water thing and not the update.
    I've been having the same problem for about two months.. then thank God my phone got stollen (probably going on ebay where someone will get a rude awakening!) so I called Asurian and they sent me out a new phone....I'll be damned if the DAY I got it I hooked it up to sync it and it started going bezerk..turning off, on, off, on then what pops up? THE DAMN COLORED BOXES and 0.19. I thought I was going to jump through the roof. Obviously this phone hasn't gotten a drop of water on it considering I had JUST taken it out of the package! I've called sprint, emailed them..nobody can give me ANY info on what causes it. But I'd sure like to know so that it doesn't happen to the NEXT replacement phone they are now shipping me.....Since it happened as I tried to sync the new phone it made me think maybe my old one had a virus? But I never downloaded anything so I'm not sure how I would have contracted one. So strange and irritating!
    Palm's quality control has been lacking the past year or so, but I believe its getting better under new management. That would explain the last post. Palm can't do anything about getting the phone wet, however, except trade it out if its still under warranty or you have insurance.
    Hmm I"m confused.. how would that would explain the last post?! So their new management is getting better yet they sent me a brand new phone and as soon as I activated it the screen with all the colored boxes and the "0.19" popped right back up?! I guess I got an old manager. ha.
    I just released an application called SafeGuard that might help with this problem. It gathers information about all 3rd party applications. It tells you what applications run in the background and it also shows you what applications have internal alarms and what times they are set to go off! This information will tell you what applications are set to run at the times you are seeing this off HotSync behavior. I am almost certain a 3rd party application is triggering the HotSync. SafeGuard will help you identify what application it is!

Jeff
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Follow to my issue: My 1st thoughts were that it was a software issue, but after perfoming a hard reset, without reloading anything, it still kept trying to hot sync. I ordered a replacement from Sprint, which I got the next day, no more problem. I should note that this issue occured with a refurbished 755p I only had for 3 weeks. (nora- maybe I got your old one) The new 755p is a refurbished unit, but is working flawlessly.
    Had the same problem with my phone about a week ago. I tried resets, pulling the battery and nothing worked. Finally, I just did a hard reset and reinstalled everything.
    I thought it might have been a moisture problem on the contacts, but my phone wasn't anywhere near moisture.
    It hasn't happened since.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I was having the same problem and noticed that in my new car I kept the phone in the middle, very close to where the drinks go...

now that I read this, I think moisture was getting to the phone. it hasn't done it again in a while however now I can't access my call log, goes to soft reset everytime...

this is killing me lol
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    This just happened to me. I hadn't even heard about it before. I tried the battery replacement-while-hold-down-the-power button trick and it worked.

Then it tried to Hotsync, which I wanted to do anyway, for safety's sake, and I let it. It failed, but then I immediately told it to go ahead and Hotsync. After doing so, the phone has acted satisfied. Maybe that was a missing element - letting the phone do what it wanted to do?

Anyway, it's been fine since then, but I'm fully prepared for the phone not to work right tomorrow. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone for their input because it made things easier for me when I experienced it.

EDIT: If anyone's wondering, it happened just after my girlfriend used my phone to play a podcast I'd saved (via Kinoma). She played this while in the shower. Our bathroom doesn't circulate air very well, so it gets mistier than one might expect. I don't know if that was a factor, but I wanted to mention it.
    Last edited by west3man; 03/09/2009 at 12:43 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Mine did something similar, kept wanting to get updates. But I changed the preferences in the programs that wanted to update, and it's fine now.
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R.Cote View Post
    Mine did something similar, kept wanting to get updates. But I changed the preferences in the programs that wanted to update, and it's fine now.
    If you're talking about the Express/Pocket Express updates, I've been there, too. This issue, though, is more akin to your pc crashing and refusing to reboot. Nasty stuff.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Had this exact problem last night. Fiddled with it, did a hard reset, tried the blow drier, nothing worked.

Took it to the Sprint store and a tech fixed it in about 20 minutes. He said the port you plug your hot sync cable into got extremely dirty and a little moist (very possible because it happened right after I ran across the street during a rain storm with the phone in my breast pocket). He cleaned it out well and all is once again working without issue.

Thought I'd shed some light on this problem for anyone else who runs into this with the same frustrations we all were experiencing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast