Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Did I get ripped off by buying the Sprint 755p 3 months before the Centro came out? What are the advantages to the 755p at nearly 3x the price besides screen size?
    Quote Originally Posted by 842867 View Post
    Did I get ripped off by buying the Sprint 755p 3 months before the Centro came out? What are the advantages to the 755p at nearly 3x the price besides screen size?
    Yeah you did, the screen size is bigger but the resolution is the same. And the 755 is plagued pretty much with the same problems as the 700p. I think the battery is bigger on the 755 (1800mah)?
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Actually I returned my Centro for a 755 and I couldn't be happier. Not having owned a 700, I can't speak to the issues that others here were having (although I know they were numerous), but I love my 755. Had it for a couple of weeks and it's flawless.
    I obsessed about which one to buy for a couple of weeks (because I didn't have a new phone plan the cost wouldn't be that different).

I eventually went with the 755. It all came down to typing speed - I tried the smaller keyboard but couldn't see myself composing longer messages with it - and battery life. The size of the Centro was appealing, but I've never thought that the Treo line was overewhelmingly large.

It comes down to personal taste.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    See my sig. I had the 700p and now the 755p. I tried the Centro for a week. I didn't like the small keyboard and, to a lesser extent, the smaller screen. I also didn't like the glossy finish compared to the rubberized housing of the 755p. I disagree that the 755p is plagued by the same problems as the 700p. IMHO, the 755p was the biggest mistake Palm made for me. The 755p should have been the 650s successor. I have a 'near-perfect' device in my 755p. That's not to say I don't always keep my eyes open for the "next best thing".
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yeah you did, the screen size is bigger but the resolution is the same. And the 755 is plagued pretty much with the same problems as the 700p. I think the battery is bigger on the 755 (1800mah)?
    I keep hearing about these problems the 755p has. I've had one since the day they came out on Sprint and have never had a reset or anything that wasn't done by me.

As for the Centro and the 755. I went to the store the day they came out to take the plunge and pay the full price and then sell my 755 on ebay. After playing around with it, I couldn't see why it would be worth me paying anything more to have one. I got my wife a Centro about two weeks ago now, and yes, it is a 755 in sheeps clothing, to me at least. I love the size and love the phone, but I really think that I like most everything with the 755 a little bit better. Now would I pay $249 for a 755 over $99 for a Centro? No, but I wouldn't (and don't) feel bad about doing it before the Centro came out.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    The keyboard is the killer for me on the centro. I have big hands. The Centro just isnt' really an option.

I like the form factor of the 755p a lot better than the centro as well.
    Sure the 755p costs $150 more, but that's a small amount compared to what you're going to be paying out for 2 years of service. So my suggestion would be to get the phone you prefer and if it's the 755p just accept the extra $6.25/mo it will cost you.

I haven't played with a Centro but my 755p works fine. About the only complaints I have are that

1. PXAClocker (CPU speedup program, I use it for a few processor-intensive programs) which worked fine on my 650 and supposedly works on the Centro, doesn't work at all on the 755p
    2. There are occasional short (a few seconds) "pauses" "rests" "freezes" etc. when switching apps
    3. There are no 8 GB mini SDHC cards out there yet (I loved having the 8 GB SDHC on the 650), so I'm using a 4 GB mini SDHC card for now

In terms of screen resolution, I'd rather have the extra 21% screen area (2.2" x 2.2" vs. 2.0" x 2.0") of the 755p, even with the same pixel count. Phone screens are too small already! But, everyone has their preferences.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 12/17/2007 at 01:16 PM.
    the larger screen and keypad was well worth the $100 dollars extra the 755P cost me (new plan).

And its been a stable and reliable tool.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Treo 755p advantages:
    -Rubberized coating. Possibly better build quality
    -Larger LCD
    -Larger "smile" keyboard with a better tactile feel
    -Higher battery capacity (1600mAh standard w/ optional Seidio 2200mAh available NOW). Centro is stuck at 1200mAh with no alternatives currently available.
    -Easier/more accessible memory card door. Plus miniSD is a bit larger and easier to manage than the tiny, fragile microSD.
    -755p has a larger DBheap/cache size than the Centro (I THINK--this is unconfirmed officially)

Centro advantages:
    -Improved performance & less lag due to OS tweaks/new hardware architecture/NVFS improvements
    -Louder, clearer speakerphone
    -Marginally better camera (same resolution though)
    -DTG 10 standard
    -PTunes Deluxe standard
    -Slightly newer OS/built-in PIM apps
    -Palm's announced a Location finder fix for Google Maps is forthcoming for the Centro. Nothing of the sort has specifically been announced for any POS Treo.
    -Centro has more available main memory (~64mb) over the 755's ~60mb.
    -Lighter weight & smaller overall size

So for most people, factoring in cost reasons, I'd say definitely go with the Centro. For *myself personally*, I'd still take the 755p no matter what, but I'd be quite sour about the dated software bundle. A 755p is still a HUGE improvement over a 700p in every aspect!

Personally, I prefer the 755p's understated looks compared to the Centro. And the 755p's keyboard & screen are already too small so those are huge deal-breakers on the Centro. Now, if Palm would just release a Treo 755px with a bigger standard batery, the same FF, and all of the Centro's software & under-the-hood tweaks, I'd be a REALLY happy camper!
    Last edited by hkklife; 12/17/2007 at 04:16 PM.
    I get some really nice battery life on the 755p with the Seidio 3200 battery + using power hero and beams turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    A 755p is still a HUGE improvement over a 700p in every aspect!
    Really? I thought it was basically the same, but slightly smaller. Specs are very similar, and a lot of people say it works the same. How is it really that much better?
    I played with the keyboard of the Centro the other day. Waaaaay too cramped for me, plus has a weird feel to the keys. I type a lot in my emails, and this would cause a problem for me. Also the build quality of the 755p is noticeably much better versus the toy-ish feel of the Centro. My own 755p is nearly perfect other than the occasional soft reset when entering the Web app. (I mostly have resolved this problem by manually doing a soft reset every morning--especially after a hotsynch). The 755p is much better and more stable versus the 700p.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    It's in how you look at it.

I've had a Sprint 700p since May '06 and did the MR on it when the MR came out on June 4th '07. My 700p has been flawless, no crashes or freeze ups or "lags" with almost 170 add-on items in it. It still looks new.

I got my Centro on Oct 15th to replace my 3 year old 650. There is nothing I dislike about the Centro. It does everything my 700p does, and does everything faster while using the same OS. I have the same add-ons that I use on my 700p and have no crashes or problems of any kind. I really don't have any issues using the Centro keyboard or seeing the smaller Centro screen. There is a night and day difference in how apps look on the screens.

However, I still prefer to use the 700p keyboard. My Palm phones have been absolutely great.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Dr. Grace;

See my other post here for a full breakdown on my 755p vs. 700p observations. A LOT of the improvements on the 755p are subtle but still noticable. Basically the 700p has 2 major advantages over the 755p (fullsize SDHC & bigger battery) but the 755p has a lot of small, subtle improvements.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=14
    The Siedio battery for the 755p maxes out at 3200, not 2200.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I meant OEM-sized batteries. The "rumpshaker" 3200mAh battery is available for every Treo model (with the appropriate battery door of course).
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 842867 View Post
    I have a week-old Sprint Centro in black that I am offering for TRADE with a 755p.

The thumb board is to cramped for my sausages.

Please go easy on the impending flaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeze22 View Post
    I have a week-old Sprint Centro in black that I am offering for TRADE with a 755p.

The thumb board is to cramped for my sausages.

Please go easy on the impending flaming.
    Don't know why anybody would flame. If the KEYBOARD on a pda type device is too small, thats a dealbreaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Dr. Grace;

See my other post here for a full breakdown on my 755p vs. 700p observations. A LOT of the improvements on the 755p are subtle but still noticable. Basically the 700p has 2 major advantages over the 755p (fullsize SDHC & bigger battery) but the 755p has a lot of small, subtle improvements.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=14
    Thanks. That's helpful. I guess you haven't tried out the Centro to compare with the 755?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast