Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Must say that the new 680 update has transformed my Treo 680 into a new phone ! Im very happy now. No lag between screens , dials in real time with no hang ups. Everything inclusing web browsing seems much faster now.

I cant beleive no one has posted on this yet .
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    I've honestly noticed no difference at all.. My 680 is a little laggy, especially with all the background apps I have installed, but it's very stable and I've gotten used to any delays.

When I use my wife's phone, it's like a totally different phone. Hers has nothing installed except a small handful of simple apps.

Perhaps you did a hard reset and your phone is back to defaults? But it's possible there are improvements in places.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    My 680 is pretty snappy as it is. thats why I love it.

then again I have basically nothing running in the background, no push email, no MunduIM. just txting, phone, and sometimes data lol
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    After applying the update, how long does the 680 boot after reset? Is it still 90 seconds?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I've honestly noticed no difference at all.. My 680 is a little laggy, especially with all the background apps I have installed, but it's very stable and I've gotten used to any delays.

When I use my wife's phone, it's like a totally different phone. Hers has nothing installed except a small handful of simple apps.

Perhaps you did a hard reset and your phone is back to defaults? But it's possible there are improvements in places.
    I have an unbranded phone and was having stability issues after a year. A hard reset and reloading only the apps I use and it is like a different phone.

Then I replaced the cover from one bought on e-bay, and a new digitizer for the screen; it looks brand new!
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    You must do a clean install on any treo you use when updating os. Re-syncing old programs and settings will ruin any performance gained with update. That means any update you must change your phones name, relaod all programs again clean.

Trust me ive used and owned almost every treo out there. This is super critical.

Clean install with ther new updated 2.1.1 os is truly a much better experience....
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    You don't need to change your phone's name. Why would you want to do this as it will make the reg code for any app you purchase invalid?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm208 View Post
    You must do a clean install on any treo you use when updating os. Re-syncing old programs and settings will ruin any performance gained with update. That means any update you must change your phones name, relaod all programs again clean.

Trust me ive used and owned almost every treo out there. This is super critical.

Clean install with ther new updated 2.1.1 os is truly a much better experience....
    Hint: Everything above is wrong.

Will doing a hard reset and reloading apps occasionally help clear out some old stuff? Sure. Is it super critical? No way.

In fact for kicks, I updated my 680 from 1.09 to 2.11 recently without a hard reset at all and it's perfectly fine.

I do however suggest to always back up the Treo first regardless. Like I said, however, I doubt there's any "performance" gained with this update.
    I'm glad to see somebody had a successful upgrade. There have been a lot of Treos that have become bricks. Congrats.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    This is my first post on this forum. Sorry i am new.
    I bought an unlocked but Cingular branded Treo 680. I would like to know.

1- How do i check on Treo what ROM version i am using?
    2- Where can i find a way to install a unbranded ROM?
    3- Is there any advantage of doing step #2?

Thanks all,

EDIT:
    i found the version is TREO680-1.03-CNG and currently unlocked with T-Mobile SIM in it. Will the update lock it again?
    Last edited by paracha3; 12/21/2007 at 12:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paracha3 View Post
    This is my first post on this forum. Sorry i am new.
    I bought an unlocked but Cingular branded Treo 680. I would like to know.

1- How do i check on Treo what ROM version i am using?
    2- Where can i find a way to install a unbranded ROM?
    3- Is there any advantage of doing step #2?

Thanks all,

EDIT:
    i found the version is TREO680-1.03-CNG and currently unlocked with T-Mobile SIM in it. Will the update lock it again?
    2- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144028
    3- Since you are with T-Mobile, like me, it doesn't use up the memory for apps we can't use.
    I have not so much time to play with my Treo. that's why I decided to wait for unbraded ROM update AND Palm Desktop 6.2 for Vista released: then I'll perform an hard reset and reinstall everything on both Desktop and Palm.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    When I finally applied the 2.11 update, I did notice a battery life improvement, but that has all changed. I can charge my 680 overnight, unplug it to go to work, and by noon, the battery is nearly drained completely. Has anyone else experienced this??

Also, I installed the new version of XpressMail, and the battery drain has been fast since that install. Could it be XpressMail or the 2.11 update causing the battery drain??

Thanks,
    Brandon
    I don't use XpressMail and I my battery lasts more than all day with moderate usage.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    On my 680 with 2.11, the first day I also experienced quick batt drain with Xpress Mail checking mail (push). I disabled that function in my various Xpress Mail accounts (turned them into pull) and now the battery works like before (not great, but 1+ days depending on how many data connections I use throughout the day).

My main issue is the slowness/lag that 2.11 just made worst. I >think< part of the problem is the phone home screen checking mssgs against Xpress Mail to be able to display the icon, which I cannot find a way to disable.

Esteban
    My 680 has gotten noticeably more laggy since the update. It's getting quite annoying actually. Anybody have any ideas why?
    Patrick Horne