Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    i read a ton of threads regarding backup software.

palm beta:
    i started with the wonder beta program that palm has. which actually worked. my phone took a major hit at work and i was able to get it back up and running in short order. unfortunately, the beta program had an eternity memory regarding memos - and any memo i ever wrote since my first upload reappeared when i recovered. not a big thing really, but still a bit of a pain. i was really delighted just to have my "phone" back. nothing is stranger than my 755 turning in a ....eeewww.... phone...

nvbackup:
    i managed to find a downloadable file; many sites have stopped offering it. i have loaded it and have backed up my phone with it. i have yet to need to restore, so i can't tell you what will happen. I would hard reset and test it - but i'm a big coward at heart.

if somehow nvbackup doesn't work when crunch time comes, i still have the auto memo system (palm beta).

resco explorer:
    okay, now, i have just dropped resco explorer into my phone. it also has a backup system. i've read many threads where resco is recommended. i haven't tried it.

and i'll tell you why.

palm beta assumes i'm an ***** - i just click the icon, drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette and i'm done. i just need to delete about 350,000 memos.

nvbackup, although i can pretend to be intelligent and manipulate it a little, still offers me the opportunity to be an ***** - click the button, drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette and i'm done.

resco, well, resco appears to think i know what i'm doing and offers me so many choices that i now have the opportunity to mess up. so with resco, it goes like this. pop up the screen, drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette, get nudged by my sweetheart that thinks that i have turned into a "stare at the display" zombie - then click away wondering what it all means. i'm sure there is an easy way and i am over-complicating it, but i'm not sure which direction to take.

so, here i am at the smartphone smartguys forum asking:

palm is a good backup if my card gets blitzed and i can't get to my pc.

but if my card is intact, what is the preferred method if choosing between nvbackup and resco...

when it comes down to nuts and bolts - do i care?

thanks ahead of time for your time...
    nvbackup is tried and true for me. I have it running nightly backups at 1am. It handles full and selective restores. I have used it more times that I care to recount for flawless full restores in my upgrade from 700p to 755p (yes, even transferring the contents directly to the new phone until I had time to do it "right"). To top it off, it's FREE.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=186018
    yep.
    I use Backupman and have done many restores with out a single issue where as resco backup had some missing files and didn't restore my phone to the exact condition is was before the backup. Backupman is extremely easy to use and you can even set it up to do automated backups once a night.
    NVBackup works great. I use it to restore to pre-app installations if I don't like the software, since I find Uninstall Manager not that intuitive.
    Uninstall manager doesn't work like I think it should for me but found destaller to work pretty well so far for you uninstallation needs.. but do what you and always make a backup before installing anything new.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    thanks for the info!

i decided that my life wasn't complicated enough, so i hopped on line and added neatfreak ultimate pack to my apparently endless supply of utility programs...

being a total control nut and a memory hoarder, i've decided to hard slam my phone back to factory smarts and reinstall all of my software in a somewhat orderly fashion (and remove all of the garbage that i'm sure got stacked up as i went from download to download playing with my phone when it was brand new), and perhaps take a little more advantage of my card.

so, that'll give me the opportunity to give nvbackup a shot.

so my next post will go something like: Yay!
    or OH NO! WHAT HAVE I DONE!

thanks again!
    While Resco Explorer offers a backup option, it is limited.

Resco Backup (shareware) is the one I use. It has many options and can backup up your photos in the device memory. This is real handy for restoring your application back ground images for apps that use images (live jpegs).

For example, If I install an app that ruins my Treo or Centro. I can hard reset, then restore the images and then restore the RAM from the backup. My apps have their images back when opened.

Wham bam, all done.

Not only is NVbackup the best backup program available, it could also be considered as one of or the best freeware application available for PalmOS. It reliably backs up on schedule and has the ability to backup to an FTP server as well.

I have restored from NVBackup a number of times on my Treo both by doing a hard reset before and also by just doing a restore without hard backup, every time it restored without fail. I used to use BackupBuddy and always had problems with certain files either not being restored for lock problems or something else, never had that issue with NVBackup.
    NVBackup and Resco Backup share a bit of common code and the developer of NVBackup contributed to the development of Resco Backup.

Both applications may be considered to be equal in over-all performance; however, when it comes to options, Resco Backup has more. If you want a simple program that WORKS, NVBackup is probably the better. The best of the group though when one looks at support, options and overall performance, Resco Backup is better.

Source: I have both Resco Backup, Backup Manager, and used NVBackup for a 2 week period.

Ben
    I bought Resco and I don't fully know how to use it.
    The only real reason I need it, is because when I use "On Demand"
    I have this massive memory leak.
    How could I use this to prevent the memory leak???
    I just had to do a hard reset...
    and have not used On Demand since then... that is why I bought Resco.
    Could someone tell me the steps I need to do so that I could keep my memory at 80% (thats what it is now)by using resco.
    Dont forget about backupbuddy!

It has saved my azzz so many times its not even funny. I love the fact that it not only has the palm side it has the desktop component as well.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Dont forget about backupbuddy!

It has saved my azzz so many times its not even funny. I love the fact that it not only has the palm side it has the desktop component as well.
    Oh yea????
    like today...
    I finally decide to use my on demand again.
    so when I installed it it took up 6 mb.
    then I tried to restore my phone how it was before the installation of OD...
    and it didn't work... it was still in there
    Quote Originally Posted by Fully_Amazing View Post
    Oh yea????
    yep promise!
    There is no spoon.
    Also, about BBuddy, it allows you to have a "simple" view and an expanded or call it advanced view. So you can get as no brain or as involved as you want while you drink your cup of coffee.
    There is no spoon.