Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'm a newby to this forum and to Treos. I have a 700P, which as most of us know requires a hard reset from time to time. My issue is that when I hotsync after an HR, a 3rd party app I use to store passwords (swordfish) is not reinstalled back to the phone. However, if I restore the phone using backup buddy from my SD card, the program is restored. Not sure if it's relevant, but swordfish is part of a suite of app's I bought, called NOMAD...all three other NOMAD app's do restore when I hotsync from my laptop. Any idea of what the issue could be and how to fix it? Thanks.

Also, in case this info is important: My current handset has _1.10 software, factory installed.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    My 700P never required a hard reset... at least regularly.
    Last edited by twitch3; 12/14/2007 at 03:11 PM.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Soft reset... yes, warm reset... maybe... hard reset?.... only on last resort.

for me @ least.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    As the others say, the 700P does not require a hard reset under normal circumstances. A good installation monitoring application (there are 2, I use Uninstall Monitor by Northglide (www.northglide.com and look around at his products) is more than able to keep a device happy.

What you need to do though is to maintain a good set of backup files, preferably using a device/card based application (there are bunches, especially 2, and I use Resco Backup).

If you want on-the-fly backup, then look at OnGuard Backup by Northglide - I use it and it works well - it backs up applications and data upon the proper exiting of an application.

Ben
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I dont want to turn this into a thread about hard resets, etc, so please disregard my effort at a joke (a true joke in my case, but i digress).

I feel like I do have a good set of backup files (using backup buddy from my SD card), but what I do not understand is why one certain app is on the SD back up files, but never makes it way onto the lap when I have followed the following process:

1. Advised to do hardreset by verizon CSR
    2. Complete HR.
    3. Hotsync with laptop.
    4. notice that one particular app is missing from T700P (swordfish if it matters)
    5. Use backup buddy to reinstall the app.
    6. Determine that the app is infact on the 700P.
    7. Hotsync to laptop. (
    8. At a later date, advised again by verizon CSR to do HR.
    9. Hotsync to laptop.
    10. Determine that the exact same app is missing again. This is the step where I am confused...if the program is on the Treo 700P, why is it not placed in the backup files on my laptop when i did step 7?

Again, the HR part isnt really my issue here...I would just appreciate any insight into why this app wld be on the SD card backup files but not make it onto the backup files on the laptop.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevst1 View Post
    I dont want to turn this into a thread about hard resets, etc, so please disregard my effort at a joke (a true joke in my case, but i digress).

I feel like I do have a good set of backup files (using backup buddy from my SD card), but what I do not understand is why one certain app is on the SD back up files, but never makes it way onto the lap when I have followed the following process:

1. Advised to do hardreset by verizon CSR
    2. Complete HR.
    3. Hotsync with laptop.
    4. notice that one particular app is missing from T700P (swordfish if it matters)
    5. Use backup buddy to reinstall the app.
    6. Determine that the app is infact on the 700P.
    7. Hotsync to laptop. (
    8. At a later date, advised again by verizon CSR to do HR.
    9. Hotsync to laptop.
    10. Determine that the exact same app is missing again. This is the step where I am confused...if the program is on the Treo 700P, why is it not placed in the backup files on my laptop when i did step 7?

Again, the HR part isnt really my issue here...I would just appreciate any insight into why this app wld be on the SD card backup files but not make it onto the backup files on the laptop.

Thanks!
    Since both BBuddy and Swordfish are both Bluenomad software I would suggest you contact them?

Another question is do you happen to have BBuddy set to backup Swordfish?

I know its obvious but check and see if that box is checked in BBuddy.

Also, are you doing your restore from the card or from the PC? Either way, if youre having trouble, then youre going to continue to have that problem if you continue to do those steps youve outlined. Assuming youre doing a full restore, youre restoring the potentially corrupt files/file back onto your Treo.

Hope any of this helps.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevst1 View Post

Thanks!
    The reason your missing app is not in your backup folder on your PC is because the app is not defaulted to backup status.

In order for any app or file to be backed up to your PC backup folder, the attributes need to be set to backup.

This is easy to check, just use Resco Explorer or Filez and go into the attributes for that file and set it to backup. RAM apps attributes can be set. However, ROM apps attributes usually can not be set.

Any backup program you use on your devise to back up to your card, do not have the backup issue.

^very good explanation and I concur. Not all 3rd party apps have the backup attribute set so Hotsync ignores these apps. Backup apps do not look at this attribute.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advise. I first checked out Resco Explorer, and found it a bit complicated. Next I tried filez and it was just right for this uber-novice. Very simple to use, and now when I hotsync, the log very clearly displays that the app in question is being backed up to my laptop. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Trevst1; 12/17/2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: messed up the quote marks