1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

Longtime Treo 650 user. My Treo is more than 2 1/2 yrs old and definitely on its last legs. I still think the Palm platform will serve my needs, so I am considering the Centro since nothing in the Treo 700 series is worth the much bigger bucks.

Only reservation is the smaller screen size. I know that the pixel count is the same from Treo 650 to Centro. But actual screen size is a bit smaller. Most apps I use are medical references and databases and then PIM stuff. Most of them do not have fine graphics, but some do. And it's not even a matter of seeing the screen that I'm worried about, as I have good eyes. It's the matter of tapping the touch screen accurately when everything I'm trying to tap is a little bit smaller.

So can folks comment on how they find the screen size for viewing and clicking/tapping touchscreen objects?

Thanks!
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Hi folks,

Longtime Treo 650 user. My Treo is more than 2 1/2 yrs old and definitely on its last legs. I still think the Palm platform will serve my needs, so I am considering the Centro since nothing in the Treo 700 series is worth the much bigger bucks.

Only reservation is the smaller screen size. I know that the pixel count is the same from Treo 650 to Centro. But actual screen size is a bit smaller. Most apps I use are medical references and databases and then PIM stuff. Most of them do not have fine graphics, but some do. And it's not even a matter of seeing the screen that I'm worried about, as I have good eyes. It's the matter of tapping the touch screen accurately when everything I'm trying to tap is a little bit smaller.

So can folks comment on how they find the screen size for viewing and clicking/tapping touchscreen objects?

Thanks!
    -- Josh
    Pixel count is the same as you mention, but PPI is higher (obviously because of the smaller screen), this results in a very sharp picture--one of the sharpest on the market, imo.

To answer: I've had zero issues with size and I don't think you'll have any problems.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I would agree with Malatesta. I had no problem with the screen size on the Centro coming from the 650. It's only slightly smaller (physically ) and since it is such a sharp image, I actually like it better.
    For the record, dimensions of items on the Centro screen are 92% of those on the Treos.
    I prefer the slightly smaller screen because of the sharpness of the image. I still have my Treo 650, and -- if I look at glance at the 650 screen after having gotten used to the Centro screen -- I'm disappointed by how "pixelated" the 650 looks.
    I forgot Treos have bigger screen. You get used to the smaller screen of Centro real fast that you forget that it is smaller than Treo.
    I made the same move from Treo 650 to Centro. The screen on Centro does appear sharper and I think the color is better. Now, when I look at the 650 it doesnt look nearly as good as it used to (before the centro that is). The smaller screen and keyboard are a small price to pay for a phone that no longer feels like I am carrying a brick around.
  8.    #8  
    Reassuring to hear how so many have adapted to the Centro and found it possibly superior to the 650.

I have always found the screens on conventional cellphones to be way too small. Adequate for the simple stuff of phone books and receiving calls. But I use my Treo like a PDA which happens to be a phone. The PDA functions are far more important to me than the phone functions. But you folks are all satisfied, so that goes a long way to reassuring me. If/when Centro hits the AT&T network (maybe Jan 15, after the 90 days of Sprint Centro exclusivity are up?), I'll buy.

-- Josh
  9.    #9  
    Hi folks,

Just thought I'd revisit the Centro screen size issue. No, the Centro's 2" screen has not changed. What has changed is that I just ordered and configured for my staff several Tungsten E2's. Long time since I had a Tungsten in my hand (I had the original T for a while, then the T3, then the Treo 650). Now I know why I think Centro screen size is small. Centro is 2", Treo 650 and my current 680 are 2 1/4" screens, the Tungsten's are 3" screens. That's a large difference.

Since I am mainly a PDA user and like the convenience of having the cellphone included, I like the Palm smartphones. But I sure like the big 3" Tungstens even more for PDA use. I'm not switching back to Tungsten PDA's, but I won't seek the Centro's smaller form any time soon. My 680 seems more than adequate for now anyway.

-- Josh
    I jumped from an E2 to Centro. Being honest I didn't find the drop in screen size to be an issue like I thought I would. It is more than large enought to read and documents, memo's or PDF's that I happen to load up with out any real problem.

But what I did notice was the reduction in the bulge of my pockets from carring 1 device as oppose to carring the two. That in itself was a blessing.

Although I do from time to time still pat my pockets down as I'm leaving for work trying to figure out what I'm missing.
    My Evolution -
    PDA's: Palm Vx - Sony Clie PEG-T655C - Palm Tungsten E2
    Cellphones: Too many to count - Final phone was a Moto RAZR V3M
    Smartphone: First and only so far - Centro
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    The price you pay (smaller screen size) is well compensated by not having to carry a BRICK around.