1.    #1  
    I've owned no less that a dozen Palms since May '96 when I bought a Pilot 1000.

I can remember the "good old days" of Palm when we couldn't wait to see what the next new Palm device would be.

I recall rushing down to the local Circuit City in July, 2000 to get one of the first Palm IIIc unit. (That was their first color model.) Ed Hardy (Brighthand) and I were emailing each other back and forth trying to get out hands on one!

I've owned a Treo 600, a 650 and, since 11 '06, a Treo 680. Every one was, in my opinion, a noticable improvement from the previous model. (I didn't say perfect, but improved.) The 680 is still my everyday device and is in constant use.

But, what's next? I haven't seen anything to indicate that the next generation Treo is on the horizon. The 755p doesn't look like much of a leap. Is the iPhone (once it gets some comparable 3rd party apllications) the answer?

What's the opinion out there among Treo devotees? What's next?
    Dennis G. Esler
    Same situation. I started using Palm's in the mid-90's, and have been using a 650 for the past few years. After spending the past year with constant reboots and sloppy software I up-graded to a 750w last week.

It is much more stable than the 650, and I can reload programs I had to zap because of memory constraints. The intercace is no where near as nice as the Palm OS, but it works fine.

The problem with the iPhone for me is that it is not GSM, so I can't use it in Europe. Plus, on extended trips I like to take a couple of extra batteries rather than charging equipment. This is not possible with iPhones.

Good luck!

Dan
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Yeah, I've been using palms since '99 and haven't quite owned 11, but I have owned my share. I continue to get iPhone envy. Waiting the 12-18 more months before the Linux unit just doesn't seem worth it. I've held off on the iPhone because I can't live without my third party apps and a decent calendar (that and I'm broke!) but my 680's garnet just feels dated. I played with an iPhone and thankfully, wasn't really impressed. I found it slow switching between apps and clunky. I'd get to a screen I didn't want and want to go back but didn't know how to do it. I had to go all the way back to the main screen and find my way back to where I wanted to be. It was a relief to me to find the iPhone slow and unresponsive, but palm just hasn't impressed me with much lately.

It's sad to think I'm losing interest...
    Quote Originally Posted by danclem View Post
    The problem with the iPhone for me is that it is not GSM, so I can't use it in Europe. Plus, on extended trips I like to take a couple of extra batteries rather than charging equipment. This is not possible with iPhones.

Good luck!

Dan
    The iPhone IS GSM. The problem I have with the iPhone, other than the price and the hype, is that it cannot, at present, replace all of the functions of my Treo680.

Also, in following how a Treo680 user tried other phone, I have come to appreciate the 680, and Palm in general, for what it is. It is the closest to what I need in a Smartphone.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Another PalmOS fanboy who is using the 750. WM6 is really alot better than its predecessors. In the past the 3rd party apps for Palm were so plentiful there wasn't a contest. But with the lack of OS upgrades and losing developer support the WindowsMobile market has really caught up. I was suprised how easy it was to change from the 680 to the 750. I will say I tried the T-Mobile Wing first and I hated that. It was way to under powered. Keeping the form I was used to and the few special things Palm added are really nice. It is much more stable, that was a surprise to me. I was hoping Palm would finally get their Linux OS with a POS application layer but I have a feeling the Google Phone will get out first and Palm will be forgotten in the mix and hype. I am down to only three things about my 680 that were better. 320x320 screen, I will jump at the chance for a 750 with one if it happens now the WM6 supports it. Losing Chatter has been painful, same for DateBk5 (although that is getting better now that I have figured out Pocket Informant). Other than that I am stubbornly impressed.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I am thinking the Palm Centero for Cingular is next. Anyone got a drop date on that?? I am hearing January... Wishful thinking??

I just want to get smalller.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    smaller. sorry.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!