1.    #1  
    My Wife has an unlocked, unbranded 680...

I read on the main page that the ATT update adds:

"Customers can access AOL, MSN, or Yahoo! IM service."

Has anyone extracted this as a PRC to install manually on the unbranded /unlocked devices?

Or is there any news as to if this functionality/app will be on the unbranded/unlock update... ? Whenever it gets here of course.
    From what I've heard, this does not work anywhere except AT&T and it uses SMS. I don't know if it eats an SMS from your plan for each text or what, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $will$ $not$ $work$ $on$ $other$ $networks$.

Not sure that this is a problem for you, but just came to mind.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    From what I've heard, this does not work anywhere except AT&T and it uses SMS. I don't know if it eats an SMS from your plan for each text or what, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $will$ $not$ $work$ $on$ $other$ $networks$.

Not sure that this is a problem for you, but just came to mind.
    actuall, sms is ok with me... have unlimited messages.

but that whole network thing.... using tmo might be a problem.
    Extracted IM application. Seems to be a standalone PRC file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: prc IM.prc (826.5 KB, 100 views)
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Tom... I'll try this on the wife's 680 this weekend.

I hope its not hard coded to try and use ATT's messaging center and instead trys to read from what the phone's messaging app is trying to use.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    This is a branded version of the free IM client that Sprint has on their site.
    I plan to stick with Toccer for now. I have an unlimited data plan and a limit on 500 SMS messages per month.

Anyone have a reason to switch to this IM client?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  8.    #8  
    Update,

(again, all tests were on T-Mobile's network, with an unlocked/unbranded Treo 680)

I threw the prc on the SD card of my wife's treo. She only has the 5.99 Tzones. I opened the IM app and put in AIM name and password. When I hit Sign On, it actually opened the data connection (odd if it wanted to use SMS, why would it open a data connection)...

The connection attempt eventually timed out and I was never able to sign on. Same for MSN / Live Messenger. I didn't try Y! messenger.

I then popped my SIM in my wife's treo 680, as I have the full blown Tmobile VPN Internet plan.

Same problems, timeout on the initial connection... but it definitely opens a data connection if one isnt already established. Weird.

Bottom line, it does not work on T-Mobile through my testing.
    I tested it on my Italian sim. same result: fails to login. I strongly suspect it is binded to some gateway in the cingular network... so that it won't work with any other operator...
    same here w/ my tmo sim. hopefully this will be available for row.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    same with me with my telkomsel simcard (indonesia)
    i'll stick to mundu
    Fossil WristPDA ->death
    Tapwave Zodiac 2
    Treo 680 ->white Centro
    <still> perfect gadgets for my life
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Extracted IM application. Seems to be a standalone PRC file.
    Thanks Tom , Installed in on my unlocked 680 on the AT&T Network works great!!!