Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My treo just started crashing each time I try to open my "Memo" app. When I tap memo to open the app, I get the orange palm circle screen then it blanks out and the phone turns off an then back on. everything else seems to work. this just started and I have never had any trouble with it before. I have not added any new apps in the past few days; several days ago I added volumecare pro trial version, voicedialit trial version, and pdanet trial version; however, the memo app has worked fine since those additions up to now. I did try a hard reset and a hotsync, but still that did not fix it. any suggestions? Oh, I also tried opening the memo app from my quick start list adn that did not work either. I have not hotsync'd on my home computer today, should I sync there so that the desktop overwrites handheld for memo? Thanks.
    Did it work wafter you hard reset but before you hotsynced? That would eliminate the possibility of a bad record.
  3.    #3  
    No, I tried a reset by pressing the reset button in the battery compartment; that did not work, then I did a hotsync on my office computer (I think that was the sequence).
  4.    #4  
    I should correct my initial post. I have NOT done a hard reset. First, I removed the battery and then replaced it, which did not help. Second, I pressed the reset button for a few seconds and released it, after which the deviced powered off/on, but that did not work. I have referred to the palm site, and I will follow those directed for performing a soft and then warm reset. If that does not work then I am not real fired up about doing a hard reset. However, if I do try that, do I need to remove the sd card first? also, if I hotsync after a hard reset, will all of my data be restored onto the treo?
  5.    #5  
    I just tried a soft, then warm reset according to the palm website; I also did the first part of a hard reset, followed by a "warm reset." unfortunately I still crash when trying to open the memo app. any further suggestions will be appreciated. btw, I did hotsync on my home computer prior to trying these resets.
  6.    #6  
    could I just delete the three new apps I added without doing a hard reset and see if that fixed it?
    You most likely have a corrupted memo which is causing your crash. You could go into your 700p RAM with Filez or Resco Explorer and delete the MemoDB file. This would delete all your memos in the memo app.

Then you could install the MemoDB back from the hotsync if the MemoDB file on your desktop is not corrupted too.

This is when it pays off having a known good backup on your SD card. After deleting the MemoDB file, or after a hard reset, you can restore from the known good backup on your card.

On the hard reset, you are not doing the hard reset correctly. On the 700p, you need to pull the stylus out, and remove the battery cover.

Then, hold the red power button down and then press the reset button next to the battery. After a few seconds, release the red power button. You will get a window asking "Erase All Data?". To complete the hard reset, press the up arrow on the 5way. Your 700p will remove all data in the RAM and be just like it was before you installed your stuff.

8.    #8  
    ok none of that worked. I deleted all three new apps, did a soft then warm reset, still crashes when I try to open memo. I guess a hard reset will be the next step?
  9.    #9  
    treotraveler, if I have hotsync'd since this problem began, can I assume the memo db file on the desktop is corrupt as well?
  10.    #10  
    if the above assumption is correct, could I use my computers goback feature to revert to before I did today's hotsync, then hotsync the treo but let the desktop overwrite the treo's memo app, and see if that works?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmd View Post
    treotraveler, if I have hotsync'd since this problem began, can I assume the memo db file on the desktop is corrupt as well?
    Yep, that would be a safe assumption.
    if the above assumption is correct, could I use my computers goback feature to revert to before I did today's hotsync, then hotsync the treo but let the desktop overwrite the treo's memo app, and see if that works?
    You could try that, if it does not fix your issue, try deleting the MemoDB file from the RAM with Filez or Resco Explorer before doing the hard reset.

I would highly recommend getting NVBackup (free) or Resco Backup (shareware) and do backups to your card when you have your Treo fixed.

13.    #13  
    what do you think about trying my desktops goback feature?
  14.    #14  
    I will definitely back up to the card from now on. thanks for the input and I will try the above suggestions.
  15.    #15  
    better yet, I will hotsync on my laptop, and let laptop overwrite handheld for memo, as i have not hotsync'd it today.
    try this: copy the memodb to your sd card (for backup purposes).
    delete the memodb
    try to run the memo app
    if that works, you have a corrupt record. from there, you could try a hotsyncwith the computer overwriting the handheld. (PLEASE MAKE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR MEMOS ON THE COMPUTER IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENTAL OVERWRITE OF THE COMPUTER).
    If that doesn't work, I would export all of your memos. delete them from the computer. And then reimport them. You will probably lose the categories but that should give you fresh and clean memos. Then sync with the computer overwriting the handheld.
  17.    #17  
    good news, I just hotsync'd to my laptop and let desktop overwrite handheld and chose "do nothing" for backup and now I do not crash when opening memo. I will now back up everything to my card, then hotsync to my home desktop and office desktop. hopefully it will all work now. when I do the intial hotsync though, shoud I choose to backup to desktop/handheld/or do nothing?
    I am having the same problem. BDMD...did your method work?
    good news, I just hotsync'd to my laptop and let desktop overwrite handheld and chose "do nothing" for backup and now I do not crash when opening memo. I will now back up everything to my card, then hotsync to my home desktop and office desktop. hopefully it will all work now. when I do the intial hotsync though, shoud I choose to backup to desktop/handheld/or do nothing?
    Thanks; this advice worked like a charm for my 755p, which started having this same problem!!! So much better than doing a hard reset (or soft reset, or any other kind of reset)!! I also did a regular sync afterwards and the memo app is still working flawlessly.
    I had a memo that kept crashing my 755p when I went to view it (reboot with orange palm logo), so I did a Hotsync of just the Memos with "desktop overwrites handheld" (changing everything else to "do nothing") and I was able to open that memo without crashing!

I also viewed each memo to make sure no other memos would crash the Treo.

Thanks everyone!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast