Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anybody experimented with using the new MP3 ringtone feature of the recent software update for the Treo 680?

After some false starts with third-party ringtone applications that seemed to make the Palm unstable when receiving calls, I went back to just accepting the default ringtones built into the Treo.

After this new software update, I tried going to Prefs/Sound & Alerts/Ring Tones/Manage, but unfortunately, still saw the old page with the list of default ringtones. The "New" button still brought up the old anemic voice recorder tool. There appears to be no UI to import or otherwise manage ring tones from MP3 files on the SD card.

Is there another way to bring ring tones into the device? Do they have to be downloaded with the Web browser, or sent in another way?
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I have not found the new MP3 ringer functionalty either. I have even searched the Palm site for some documentation and found nada. Perhaps, you can try e-mailing a ringer to yourself as an attachment and that will give you the option to add to ring tone application.

For now I have been using MiniTones to add MP3's as ringers and it has been vey stable and FREE.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Haven't found it either
    Ditto here, doesn't appear to be there
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    I couldn't find it anywhere, either. I tried using the Palm "Live Support Chat" feature. SUCKS B@LLZ. I tired it twice with out the plugin, only to get some sevrer error, which required me to retype all my info. Then tried another few times with the plugin to the same effect.
    I don't understand why people keep begging for this feature, and using terrible unstable programs like Ringo, when MiniTones is the perfect app. It adds the MP3 directly to the native ringtone list - the phone can play MP3s natively as it is. You don't need software to take advantage of all the phone's abilities like ringers for a category, personalized ringers, etc. It even lets you trim the song down to just the part you want.

All of the third party ringtone managers I tried before were unstable and didn't even have as much functionality as the built in ringtone manager, and MiniTones just plain works with no resident software. Just use it.
    yes, i use minitones and its great, but it fills up RAM with the files when i would really like to point to a directory on the card and keep the mp3s out of my RAM. The fact that the update says it adds mp3 functionality had me hoping it would be a free option for this.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    As I mentioned above, I use MiniTones and agree it is a solid and very stable product. The fact that it is free is a tremendous bonus!

I was curious about the Palm implementation, but that said MiniTones is a solid solution that I will continue to use as long as I use a Palm device. The ability to trim MP3 for use as a ringtone is a great feature. Triming MP3s is also a great way to reduce the size of the MP3 to minimize negative impact on RAM usage. In most cases no one really needs a whole song as an MP3 ringer. Capturing 20 secs snipit is more that enough for me.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

ok, so minitones is great, but where is the mp3 ringtone feature they said was in the update? has anyone found it?
    Again, back to minitones.

I actually go to my pc, and downsample the mp3 (to like 44Khz and 48kbps) and change it to mono... I mean I can't hear the difference on the treo speaker.

This cuts at least 30% (or more sometimes) of the file size down, then trim just the part i want with minitones.

Back on topic: I wonder if they left it out and forgot to update documentation.... I mean if people on TREOCENTRAL can't find it... the average joe is not going to find it either.
    Thanks for the tips, folks, but please, enough about Minitones! Sorry to be snarky, but this thread was designed to find out about the Palm implementation of mp3 ringtone ability. If it really isn't there, then I, too, will start using Minitones. For now, has anyone gotten a response from Palm?

---------
    http://onsaninc.com
    http://catholichosting.org
    Last edited by scythe000; 12/13/2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: All you sigs belong to us.
    Check out if there is an option to set the ringtones via a category (which was the case before) and then see if that gives you the ringtones via MP3 that you are looking for.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    going to Sounds:Application:Ring Tones:Manage
    doesn't seem to show any catagories.
    Go to contacts.

Select a contact

Go to details

Click on category

Click on Edit Categories

Choose a category

There is an option to set a ringtone for that category
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Got. Nope, no mp3s show up in that list either.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Ok I found it. There is an option to send a ringtone via MMS. I did this and sent an MP3 ringtone to myself. When I received it there is a Pam audio player that opens up to play the audio clip. If you hit Menu you will see an option to save as ringtone which will save it in the Sound Manager.

I assume you could use Blazer to go to a site like treotones.com and download a ringtone and save it in the same manner. Was not able to test that as Treotones.com seem to be having issues.

Minitones is still the best solution.

They way I I have gotten SO MANY ringtones on my phone is by getting the s/w from the Nokia's developer site to convert mp3 and wav files to amr. I easily BT these to my my T680 or copy them from my SD card (using Resco explorer)... they are NOT the best sound quality BUT when they are only 10% of the original file size... wonderful compromise!!!
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    I haven't had a chance to load any, but when I go to a webpage and try to open an mp3 fle (listening to podcasts) it has a new option. In addition to "Play, Save to Device, Save to Card", there is a new option to "Copy to Ringtone". So presumably, if you receive an email or mms with an mp3, you can do the same thing.
    I do wish there were a way to navigate directly to the memory or the card to find the mp3 file though.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisl View Post
    I haven't had a chance to load any, but when I go to a webpage and try to open an mp3 fle (listening to podcasts) it has a new option. In addition to "Play, Save to Device, Save to Card", there is a new option to "Copy to Ringtone". So presumably, if you receive an email or mms with an mp3, you can do the same thing.
    I do wish there were a way to navigate directly to the memory or the card to find the mp3 file though.
    I beleive if you choose the option to "Play", that from the Player you can go to Menu and choose "Save as Ringtone"

Been playing around with the mp3 ringtones, as I haven't wanted to buy any other app...

Looks like if you download an .mp3 from Blazer, it gives you the option of "Copy to Ringtone". Apparently, you can't get that option when bluetoothing or beaming (IrDA). On a whim, I tried MMS and it worked!

So looks like the only way to get the Copy to Ringtone dialog is to navigate to an mp3 on the web, or receive it as an MMS.

For the SD card, has anyone tried the Windows file navigating convention used from IE?

e.g. file:///[dir]/[dir]/[file].mp3 in the Blazer address bar? I was looking at my Centro (which has mp3 ringtones as well) and it looks like the "location" in files of mp3's on my sd card was /AUDIO/[file].mp3

After trying file:///AUDIO/[file].mp3 I was able to get the context menu...can anyone else try this?
    Last edited by d503; 12/14/2007 at 11:25 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast