1.    #1  
    I am trying to find a good relational database for the Visor. I have two tables with a many to many relationship, and was unable to get it to do this with the two packages I tried.

HanDB seemed to allow 1-1 relationship.

ThinkDB allowed a 1-many relationship, but I need a many to many relationship. I liked ThinkDB better than HanDB -- it allowed me to like to my address book -- so if there is a way to do this, please let me know.

In case you care, the specifics are: I am running a series of live roleplaying games at a convention. Each game has 3 -4 game masters. I have a pool of 7 game masters to pull from. I want to be able to link the two tables (games and gamemasters) so that I can see who is GMing a game, and what games a GM is running.

Thanks,

Mike
    I don't know if ThinkDB can do it or not, but there is a entire user's guide here .
    Jeff
    It'll require three tables. The "Master Table" has two fields "GM" and "Game" The GM field is related to the GM table and the Game field is related to the Game Table.
    <div align="left"><font size="+2" color="#FF8000">Mike</font>
    <hr width="200">
    <font color="Red"><i>Programming is the struggle between programmers<br> building bigger and better ***** proof systems<br> and the universe building bigger and better idiots</i></font>
    <hr width="200">
    <b><a href="http://enhanceyourlife.com">http://enhanceyourlife.com</a><br>
    <a href="http://www.furrbrain.com">http://www.furrbrain.com</a></b></div>
    Originally posted by Buggy
    I am trying to find a good relational database for the Visor. I have two tables with a many to many relationship, and was unable to get it to do this with the two packages I tried.

HanDB seemed to allow 1-1 relationship.

ThinkDB allowed a 1-many relationship, but I need a many to many relationship. I liked ThinkDB better than HanDB -- it allowed me to like to my address book -- so if there is a way to do this, please let me know.

In case you care, the specifics are: I am running a series of live roleplaying games at a convention. Each game has 3 -4 game masters. I have a pool of 7 game masters to pull from. I want to be able to link the two tables (games and gamemasters) so that I can see who is GMing a game, and what games a GM is running.

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike, I would recommend that you go here... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThinkDB/ and join. Look for either Andy Cross or Oscar Rojas. These guys scare me. If it can be done within the laws of of the Universe with ThinkDB, they will know how to do it and will bend over backwards to help you. Great group over there. I have learned a ton form them without ever posting to the group.

Regards,
    Steve (8C>
    Originally posted by sschweg

Mike, I would recommend that you go here... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThinkDB/ and join
    Ditto on what Steve says. I just spent a week evaluating HanDBase and ThinkDB for my own relational database; the ThinkDB group was absolutely essential to using ThinkDB and DBSync.

(BTW, I'm going with ThinkDB (w/DBSync). If anyone's interested, I'll post a short summary of my evaluation up for VC's software forum in the next day or two.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by bookrats
    (BTW, I'm going with ThinkDB (w/DBSync). If anyone's interested, I'll post a short summary of my evaluation up for VC's software forum in the next day or two.)
    I'm interested. I've been a TDB acolyte for quite a while now. I dl'd HanDBase to see why it kept coming up, but the interface wasn't familiar, or easy to use for me, so I ditched. I'm just wondering what I'm missing.
    A pure relational database does not allow "many-to-many" relationships. All you can have is one field in table A being a foreign key to the primary key of table B.

You can have "one-to-many" (or actually "many-to-one", which is the same) by having this foreign key point to the same record of table B for several different records of table A

To implement a "many-to-many" relationship in a relational database, you need a third table C that only contains 2 columns that are foreign keys to the tables A and B. Thus, each record in table C represents exactly one association between an record in table A and a record in table C. If the association carries extra semantics, you can even add extra columns to table C to represent them.

If a DBMS implements a "many-to-many" relationship, either it provides a shortcut to the above method, or it is NOT a relational database...
    For my personal databases, I use HanDBase. HanDBase supports one-to-many relationships. I found it easier to use than ThinkDB when I compared them both about a year ago. However, I've heard ThinkDB has been upgraded since that time.

For my work-related I use Pendragon Forms, procured through my employer. It isn't the prettiest interface, but it links directly to MS Access databases on my desktop.
    Anyone tried IBM BD2 everyplace for Palm?
    Originally posted by olivier101
    Anyone tried IBM BD2 everyplace for Palm?
    Cool. I just went over to the IBM site for DB2 Everyplace Haven't taken a look at the actual software, but DB2 Everyplace Personal Edition comes with:
    • Palm OS App
    • Application Builder App (runs on Windows NT or Windows 2000) -- sounds equivalent to the ThinkDB or HanDBase Desktop software
    • Some kind of Hotsync tool (I believe)

And the cost is about $42. (Cheapest software IBM has ever released )

I'm unclear if you have to do programming needs to be done outside of what you do in the Application Builder, and how much can be done on the Palm.

May be more power than many people want to deal with; but it certainly looks designed for enterprise development. Also sounds like scripting comes with it.

I wish I had the time to look into this (and I wish I'd looked into it before choosing ThinkDB -- though I suspect I'd still have gone with them, given dbSync.) I'd love to hear from someone who's had experience with it; or a pointer to a review.

Thanks for pointing this out!
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by moi
    I'd love to hear from someone who's had experience with it; or a pointer to a review.
    To answer my own question: here's some more extensive IBM info on it: a brochure (I had to download it to view it) and a white paper. Both are in Adobe Acrobat format.
    Jeff Meyer

12.    #12  
    Thanks for the help all. I'll try the three table solution with ThinkDB.

Mike
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Originally posted by bookrats (BTW, I'm going with ThinkDB (w/DBSync). If anyone's interested, I'll post a short summary of my evaluation up for VC's software forum in the next day or two.)
    I'm interested. I've been a TDB acolyte for quite a while now. I dl'd HanDBase to see why it kept coming up, but the interface wasn't familiar, or easy to use for me, so I ditched. I'm just wondering what I'm missing.
    I've just posted the evaluation (in a compressed-but-still-too-long manner) on a new thread here

Hope it is of interest...
    Jeff Meyer