View Poll Results: Is the Dec. 11th Treo680 Update working for you?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, works just fine.

41 75.93%
  • Working OK, somethings aren't working

9 16.67%
  • Could not Hotsync successfully

1 1.85%
  • Could not restore my old data (Hotsync or 3rd party restore tools)

3 5.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had no luck with the Dec. 11th Treo 680 update. If I hard-reset the device, it's fine. However, if I try to Hotsync or if I use BackupBuddy VFS to restore my old data, the device simply hangs on the "PalmOS Powered by ACCESS" screen. At this point, my device is totally hosed.

How is it working for others?
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
  2.    #2  
    Ok, renamed the \Program Files\Palm\<HotsyncName>\Backup folder to something else. Then hard-reset the device and I have my PIM data back. However, it appears all 3rd party apps. will now need to be re-loaded and re-registered. This is a major disappointment as I just did this 2 weeks ago!
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    During my upgrade, it wouldn't start until the third try. Everything went fine until it reached the "Completing Upgrade" phase where it then hung . That's the restore phase so I had to remove the Treo from the USB cable. I did a soft reset and it came up.

I checked and the upgrade had completed. I then had to manully restore from backup. Everything is working fine. Spent the last two hours trying everything.

The most noticable increase is my sdhc card now writes much faster.

I would suggest that you do full back-up and a hard reset. Then upgrade the Treo in its pristine form, then restore your software. NVBackup worked for my restore
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I ran the update from an SD card to my hard reset 680, then restored my backupman backup, and the phone got as far as setting the date and time, then reset. This occured repeatedly. Something in my backup doesn't sit well with this firmware. Have hard reset and things seem okay. Will try to restore the backup with only those apps that I really need.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Be careful with restoring backups, guys. Remember those DST, camera, etc, ad nauseum patches? Well, you're likely putting files in RAM that are masking new ROM code that is not incompatible with other changes in the new release. As always, tread carefully during more interesting upgrades.

I wish these various restores had an option for "restore all /except/ if it's already in ROM" for post-upgrade restores.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    As expected, I will have to reload ChatterEmail. Only other quirk so far is when I press the "Home" key it displays the palm launcher screen for a split second before showing my normal Z-Launcher screen. It didn't do that before. I'll have to look into that, it will become more aggrevating over time.

McTreo
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    I used the SD card method as I don't have the Palm Desktop on my work PC. I had no problems with it. I restored my latest NVBackup while crossing my fingers. Everything worked fine except the home button issue with ZL already mentioned by McTreo.
    i'm not sure if i got the whole thing applied right... how do you choose mp3 files for ringtones, as the update implies you can now?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I agree with taroliw. This update doesn't work if you backup your 680 using backupman or whatever, then hard reset, then restore. There are files that get loaded in that will cause an unending reset problem that write over some new files. I'm not sure which ones these are. I restored my favorite apps only and was fine. Hot synching seems to have completely restored my phone (amazing!)(I had hot synched the 680 prior to backing up with backupman prior to doing the hard reset and running the updater from a blank SD card) Perhaps the best way to do the update is to go for it without the hard reset...
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    What update?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    My 680 has been humming along nicely, with all the apps I use working fine, including Mobile XT/GPS, PdaNet, pTunes, Mundu IM, VersaMail, etc. From the sounds of all the problems, and the lack of compelling reason for me to upgrade, I think I'll wait this one out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    I agree with taroliw. This update doesn't work if you backup your 680 using backupman or whatever, then hard reset, then restore. There are files that get loaded in that will cause an unending reset problem that write over some new files.
    I shared some thoughts on how I would approach this in a related thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=16
    Initally the start.prc file would not run from the SD card. I found that I had to uninstall backupman for start.prc to run automatically. Once Backupman was removed. I rebooted my Treo 680, inserted the SD card and the update completed without any further problem. Hope this helps others.
    so all of you that have updated, where do you see the option to use an mp3 for a ringtone? does it have to be done via hotsync? i thought i would be able to point to the mp3's in my /audio/ folder on my SD card..
    Yeah... I always found that the SD updates went most smoothly if I backed up, did a hard reset, processed the upgrade, and *then* worked at restoring my files from backup. This way, nothing third party is there to interact with the upgrade process itself.
    First, I've updated and had no issues with recovering all of my backed up information. I used NVBackup, and when choosing to restore, picked the Selective Restore option (found as the first choice after hitting the Menu key; also accessible my pressing Menu+R after selecting the desired backup set).

I simply excluded any file that would have appeared to have come from the old ROM, choosing to only restore the actual applications, their DBs, my Saved and Unsaved Preferences. I specifically ignored Bluetooth Device Cache/Prefs Backup/Trusted Devices, BtExgLibDB, CalculusDB, CarrierProfiles2, ConnectionMgr50DB, dbConfig, any file starting with HS (unless it was known to be an actual app.), all MMID Cache files, Net Prefs, NetworkDB, NetworkProfiles2DB, PmTraceDatabase/DummyDatabase, Shim Logs, StoredBTAddress, tmpfl01-12.tmp.

Secondly, a caution to any that are using a Custom ROM. Unless you plan of making frequent use of Push2Talk, XpressMail, etc., you are FAR better off with the additional DB Cache gained through the slimmed down ROM. My phone is responding like an 80 year old lady to a highway on-ramp. In other words, slowly and making me want to break things =)
    - Chris
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I installed the update and now my phone continually loops unless I do a warm reset. After I do the warm reset, all my SMS messages are gone (but still counted at the top of the screen) and Palm has told me I need to do a hard reset. My last backup was three days ago (thank goodness) using Palm Backup Beta... As a co-worker just said to me, "You installed it? Don't you read the message boards?" From now on I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by sploo View Post
    I installed the update and now my phone continually loops unless I do a warm reset. After I do the warm reset, all my SMS messages are gone (but still counted at the top of the screen) and Palm has told me I need to do a hard reset. My last backup was three days ago (thank goodness) using Palm Backup Beta... As a co-worker just said to me, "You installed it? Don't you read the message boards?" From now on I will.
    Well, remember that a hard reset will lose you your data but not the ROM code. Whatever you do, you will remain on that code release, and restoring from backup won't change that.

This behavior suggests that you may have an issue with one or more files in the backup that, when restored, are causing instability with the new code. I'd suggest (if you're using Hotsync) to rename the backup directory and restore all the PIM data back (after hard reset). But with the backup, be careful about what you restore, or simply reinstall the stuff you need.

Experience will vary with regard to restoring and stability because different people apply different patches, etc. But it may get down to a trial and error method of isolating which of the file(s) in the backup may be causing issues.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo View Post
    As expected, I will have to reload ChatterEmail. Only other quirk so far is when I press the "Home" key it displays the palm launcher screen for a split second before showing my normal Z-Launcher screen. It didn't do that before. I'll have to look into that, it will become more aggrevating over time.

McTreo

I'm having the same "Home" button issue with MegaLauncher. I contacted MegaSoft2000, hopefully they will give it a try.

For the short-term, I simply mapped my Calendar button to ML which works fine. Still, I would like to get this working... As with you, this was working fine prior to the ugprade.
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo View Post
    Only other quirk so far is when I press the "Home" key it displays the palm launcher screen for a split second before showing my normal Z-Launcher screen. It didn't do that before. I'll have to look into that, it will become more aggrevating over time.
    Yup. Also have this problem. Do you think anyone has notified Zztechs yet?
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast