Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dropped the Treo into the toilet (no comments please) and within a couple of seconds retrieved it, but now the red 'on/off' and and the green buttons do not work. Everything else seems to be OK. I've had the phone since the summer, so I think it's out of warranty. I was going to take it apart to see if there might be anything I can do, but would appreciate input on whether this is something that is not worth doing or, if it is, what special details I'd need to be aware of when taking it apart.
    Take a look here: www.pdaparts.com

They have the tools to make taking apart the Treo easier. As well, if you search google you'll probably find procedures you need to do the job. I replaced the digitizer on my T600 way back when using parts from pdaparts and a procedure I found using google. It's not difficult.

I know you don't want to hear this but insurance covers these type of accidents. $7/mo is pretty cheap to walk in a Sprint store and get a replacement, no questions asked, for your $500 phone. I've been in your exact situation, minus the dip in the toilet. I dropped my 700p three stories at a job site once...took the pieces to the sprint store and walked out with a new phone...food for thought...
    after you take it appart - you can very lightly rinse with water or preferably use electronics pc board cleaner - then let dry over night or longer to make sure it is throughly dry before you power it back up
  4.    #4  
    GoogleNerd,
    Thanks for the link. I actually did sign up for the insurance when I got the phone, but when contacted, Sprint said that I did not ask for it. They have steadfastly refusesd to add it, but that is another story.

MouseGlider,
    Thanks for that tip, I will do that.

Before looking at the link you gave, it looks like all I need to get it apart is a small torque wrench, right?
    Insurance: That sucks...obviously, you haven't been paying for it every month, I hope...

In reference to the T600, there were several "Torx" type screws to remove, then the case can be pried open. Pdaparts sells a small, plastic tool which can ease the opening of the case without scratching or deformation. http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=TOOLS

You could probably find something similar to use laying around, but I had to buy the Torx driver anyway so I just bought the package they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    GoogleNerd,
    Thanks for the link. I actually did sign up for the insurance when I got the phone, but when contacted, Sprint said that I did not ask for it. They have steadfastly refusesd to add it, but that is another story.

MouseGlider,
    Thanks for that tip, I will do that.

Before looking at the link you gave, it looks like all I need to get it apart is a small torque wrench, right?
    Poking around on the pdaparts site, I found the directions to which I was refering: http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=RD
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I once "dunked" my old Palm m515. That night, it kept restarting itself over and over again and I thought it was toast. The battery eventually drained itself so I wrapped the unit in a towel and left it about 3 feet in front of a space heater. In the morning, to my surprise it was fully functional. (it still works to this day!) Maybe you will have similar luck and find it functional after it has a chance to dry.
    Good luck!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Any electronics that have been dunked should be dried out before you try to turn it back on. First thing I would do is remove the battery and stop trying to power it on. Let it dry out for awhile and try to fire it back up.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    Poking around on the pdaparts site, I found the directions to which I was refering: http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=RD
    Thanks GoogleNerd, I have had the Treo apart and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner. I let the unit dry overnight and it powered up this morning OK, but the keypad still has several keys that just do not work, including the 'ON/OFF' key. So now once the unit turns off automatically, I can't turn it back on. And when I take out and re-insert the battery, the phone doesn't come on automatically like it usually did. Enough of the keys don't work that I can't get into the apps screen to even turn the phone on. I'm beginning to think it's toast. When I had it apart I noticed a section of one of the circuit boards that had some definite 'staining' where the water got to it, near the bottom of the Treo where the keyboard sits, so that could be what's causing the malfunction - I don't know. But I am definitely not looking forward to putting out $579 dollars for a new one! Anybody have any luck in this situation getting a break on the cost of a replacement unit when dealing with Sprint? I'd love to hear it.
    Thanks for all of your help/suggestions by the way.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    There still may be some water in places. You can take it apart again and put it in the oven on low temp for a while to make sure all the water is evaporated. If you think it's toast it won't hurt. For the "staining" you can try to use alcohol and a q-tip to try and clean off any corosion.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    There still may be some water in places. You can take it apart again and put it in the oven on low temp for a while to make sure all the water is evaporated. If you think it's toast it won't hurt. For the "staining" you can try to use alcohol and a q-tip to try and clean off any corosion.
    Dave,
    I will give that a shot, thanks.
    kgilbertson,

Don't feel bad, same thing happened to me. Public toilet, nuff said. But don't panic...

First, remove the battery, wipe off the outside of your battery and 755 with a mild disinfectant wipe (to remove any toilet bowl germs) and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

If you don't want to take apart your 755, get a ziploc sandwich bag, pour a cup of rice in it, wrap your 755 in a paper towel with a rubber band around it (to prevent the rice from scraping your 755), put your 755 in the ziploc with the rice and zip it tight for a couple days.

That should dry out any leftover water inside the unit and prevent oxidation.

After a couple days, remove the 755 and put the battery in. It should start up and all should be hunky-dory.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  13.    #13  
    I tried cleaning the keyboard contact board button assembly again, as I had almost all of the keys working again. When I reassembled the phone and inserted the battery, the unit resets, endlessly, just at the point the phone would normally turn on. I tried a hard reset, but the phone never gets to the 'Palm' screen, it just stays on Access Power. Any thoughts?

Also, I talked with Sprint today and they are willing to replace the phone with a new one for $249.99, the same deal available on the web. While I sure don't like the idea, I make take the deal as it's a lot cheaper than full retail @ $579.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    kgilbertson,

Don't feel bad, same thing happened to me. Public toilet, nuff said. But don't panic...

First, remove the battery, wipe off the outside of your battery and 755 with a mild disinfectant wipe (to remove any toilet bowl germs) and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

If you don't want to take apart your 755, get a ziploc sandwich bag, pour a cup of rice in it, wrap your 755 in a paper towel with a rubber band around it (to prevent the rice from scraping your 755), put your 755 in the ziploc with the rice and zip it tight for a couple days.

That should dry out any leftover water inside the unit and prevent oxidation.

After a couple days, remove the 755 and put the battery in. It should start up and all should be hunky-dory.
    What he said. (There may still be moisture that the rice or those silca gel packets can remove in that two day process.)
  15.    #15  
    I can turn the Treo on with the on/off button, but that's it - once it's on no buttons work at all. It seems odd that the button push works to turn the unit on but it doesn't work to turn it off or to turn the phone on. It's been a day and a half so far, I will see what another day or so brings, I guess.
    Be patient - follow steps above & let it dry out thoroughly (i.e., 48 hours min.) before you try anything. Trying things while the water inside's causing a short will only serve to fry your treo.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    Also, I talked with Sprint today and they are willing to replace the phone with a new one for $249.99, the same deal available on the web. While I sure don't like the idea, I make take the deal as it's a lot cheaper than full retail @ $579.
    I'd take the deal and then get the insurance on the new phone. In the meantime, try these other fixes for a little longer. Then, if you get your old one working, you'll have a spare when the new one takes a spill.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  18.    #18  
    I thought I'd try to take it apart and put it back together one more time - I think I can do it in my sleep at this point - and everything worked EXCEPT the phone. Every time I tried to turn it on the Treo reset. After a few of those I decided to do a hard reset. That fixed it, now everything works. I now have to figure out how to restore everything from the mini SD. I have BackUpBuddy installed and wonder if all I have to do is a 'restore' to get the Treo back to how it was? Any help there would be appreciated - and I'm going to try and find a phone number for the folks at BUB, too.

Thanks again for the help/suggestions that you all gave.
    You should be able to restore everything with BackUpBuddy on the card. That is, as long as the card wasn't affected by the 'dunk'. Congrats on your success.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    You should be able to restore everything with BackUpBuddy on the card. That is, as long as the card wasn't affected by the 'dunk'. Congrats on your success.
    Thanks Rick. If I decide to keep the new Treo, how would I load all of my programs, etc. onto it? Would I just do a 'Restore' from the mini SD? That would sure make things easy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast