Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my Treo 650. Now that I've discovered Google Maps for Mobile I love it even more because I am always getting disoriented when trying to follow a (paper) map whilst driving.
    I have always missed having Skype (and wi-fi) since leaving behind my O2 Atom running WM5 so I wondered if I wanted to preserve my 'Palm' usability with the addition of Skype should I consider moving to a Treo 755? I think Maps works on WM6.
    Have you tried 'iSkoot', which provides reasonable (free) Skype functionality on your PalmOS Treo?
    http://www.iskoot.com/

It works pretty well for me, although I only use it occasionally. It must reside in RAM, not on the SD card.

I used to use it on my 650, and now use it on my Centro. The other day my home computer's microphone and bandwidth were not working so well, so I had myself conferenced into a Skype conference call on my Centro (rather than the PC), and it worked great.

Also great for placing international phone calls (using SkypeOut) for a few pennies per minute.
  3.    #3  
    I installed this and it connected me up to my skype profile easily. I noticed a contact called 'echo test' so clicked it and it caused a reboot. When it came back my initial preferences for eWallet, GoogleMaps, OperaMini and VersaMail were all wiped out. It was like running them for the first time.

Also affected was my network connection which fortunately I could remember having just switched service provider last week.

Most affected was the loss of my VersaMail accounts. All mail is still there but attached to the default VersaMail a/c which has no settings.

So be warned everyone - don't try the echo test!
    Yikes ... but I doubt that it was the Echo Test ... more likely, iSkoot in general messed something up for you.

You might consider investing $10 or so in a program like Reset Doctor. I resisted it for a long time, but it's saved my **** many times in the past two years.
  5.    #5  
    I don't know. I have since run iskoot (I know, tempting fate!) and had no problem. Did you ever run the echo test successfully?
    Whoops, didn't see this until just now. Yes, I've run the echo test successfully a number of times, including just now.
    Why not just use a file manager to copy the 'saved ' and 'unsaved' prefs files to your Sd card and then if something goes wrong, simply copy them back to RAM.

Always keep those files up to date!
  8.    #8  
    Which file manager do you recommend?
    Most people seem to have the freeware Filez, but I paid for the extra features of Resco Explorer.
    Now I have the prefs files copied to the root directory of my SD card, and if the crash happens that nukes my prefs, two or three clicks and they are restored.

There are many file managers out there, but these two keep surfacing.
  10.    #10  
    I'll get Filez and give it a go. Is copying the preferences a simple matter? Thanks for your advice and sorry for being a dunce.
    Hi Jae, How did you make iSkoot work on Centro? I downloaded iSkoot for Treo 650, 680, 700p and tried all of them on my centro. After installation iSkoot runs. I can see my contacts online properly. I can even send chat messages to them but I cannot receive their messages. And more importantly I cannot call them. Contact echo123 is displayed online but I cannot call to it either. When I try to call any of my online contact or echo123, I get an error message saying "couldn;t connect your call. Please try again." Any help in this regards will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you tried 'iSkoot', which provides reasonable (free) Skype functionality on your PalmOS Treo?
    http://www.iskoot.com/

It works pretty well for me, although I only use it occasionally. It must reside in RAM, not on the SD card.

I used to use it on my 650, and now use it on my Centro. The other day my home computer's microphone and bandwidth were not working so well, so I had myself conferenced into a Skype conference call on my Centro (rather than the PC), and it worked great.

Also great for placing international phone calls (using SkypeOut) for a few pennies per minute.
    Last edited by krish; 01/25/2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: quote
    Please forgive my total ignorance here, but I thought Skype was internet telephone. I do not understand why someone would want to run an internet telephone - on a cell phone? Is it to save minutes? Again, I mean no disrespect, I am just trying to learn something here. Thanks
    No skype is not a internet phone. it's a software that let's you make calls using internet. That is why it is called VOIP (Voice Over IP) software. The reason for installing skype on cell phone is that using the data services (internet) of your cell phone you can call other skype users or other landline or other mobile phones. You cannot call other skype users if you do not have skype on your cell phone. Also calling international phones using skype will be much cheaper compared to calling through your normal cell phone. having said that instaling skype on your cell phone will make sense only when you have some unlimited data plans for very less. Hope it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Please forgive my total ignorance here, but I thought Skype was internet telephone. I do not understand why someone would want to run an internet telephone - on a cell phone? Is it to save minutes? Again, I mean no disrespect, I am just trying to learn something here. Thanks
  14.    #14  
    I think the point is to be able to ring long distance and overseas for no cost but mobile network data time.
    Right, when I said internet phone, I did mean that it was software for calling using the internet. But yes, your explanation (s) make perfect sense to me and I appreciate you explaining it.
    you can also use it to IM with other skype users
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I use IM+ for Skype and it works great for Skype IM chats. I've not used it for phone calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by krish View Post
    Hi Jae, How did you make iSkoot work on Centro? I downloaded iSkoot for Treo 650, 680, 700p and tried all of them on my centro. After installation iSkoot runs. I can see my contacts online properly. I can even send chat messages to them but I cannot receive their messages. And more importantly I cannot call them. Contact echo123 is displayed online but I cannot call to it either. When I try to call any of my online contact or echo123, I get an error message saying "couldn;t connect your call. Please try again." Any help in this regards will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
    Sorry for the slowish response. I'm pretty sure that I'm running the '650' version, since I had a 650 prior to transferring applications en masse (but selectively) to my new Centro.

The Options->About menu item says that it is version 0.4.6. As I mentioned previously, you must run it from RAM, not via a shortcut on the SD card. I run many of my other applications off the SD card, but a few applications such as iSkoot and DateBk5 must run in RAM.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a SkypeOut account, but it's hard to see why that would make a difference in the scenarios that you've described.

All I can suggest is to:
    • uninstall as thoroughly as possible prior to reinstallation
    • try contacting iSkoot support at support@iskoot.com
    Hey Jae, Thanks. I have the version 0.4.6. What do you mean by "run it from the RAM and not from the SD card"? I do not have any external SD card plugged into the phone but I'm sure the centro itself must be having some kind of non volatile media like flash/card etc inside it. And it must have a RAM also. I do not understand what does "running form RAM" means? Can you please elaborate. I just press "home" button on centro and it shows me a bunch of applications, iSkoot being one of them. I click on iSkoot and the application starts but I face the problems as I described. Is there any other way of starting the applications? Please lmk. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Sorry for the slowish response. I'm pretty sure that I'm running the '650' version, since I had a 650 prior to transferring applications en masse (but selectively) to my new Centro.

The Options->About menu item says that it is version 0.4.6. As I mentioned previously, you must run it from RAM, not via a shortcut on the SD card. I run many of my other applications off the SD card, but a few applications such as iSkoot and DateBk5 must run in RAM.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a SkypeOut account, but it's hard to see why that would make a difference in the scenarios that you've described.

All I can suggest is to:
    • uninstall as thoroughly as possible prior to reinstallation
    • try contacting iSkoot support at support@iskoot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by krish View Post
    Hey Jae, Thanks. I have the version 0.4.6. What do you mean by "run it from the RAM and not from the SD card"? I do not have any external SD card plugged into the phone but I'm sure the centro itself must be having some kind of non volatile media like flash/card etc inside it. And it must have a RAM also. I do not understand what does "running form RAM" means? Can you please elaborate. I just press "home" button on centro and it shows me a bunch of applications, iSkoot being one of them. I click on iSkoot and the application starts but I face the problems as I described. Is there any other way of starting the applications? Please lmk. Thanks a lot.

If you don't have an SD card, then you are definitely running iSkoot from RAM, so don't worry about this issue. And you are definitely starting iSkoot in the only reasonable manner.

FYI, some alternative launchers such as Zlauncher allow you to store applications and/or data on an SD card. This is not so critical on a Centro which has 64MB of usable RAM, but was more critical for me on my previous Treo 650, which only had 10MB of RAM. The idea is to only bring applications to RAM on an as-needed basis.

So forget about the RAM issue and concentrate on my other two suggestions (reinstall & iSkoot support). For a maximal de-installation experience you might need to consider other 3rd-party packages such as Zlauncher. But I suggest that you consider other 3rd-party options as well by searching the archives. Sorry, but I don't have a specific product to recommend.

In your situation you might also consider a full backup (not just a full sync, but an actual backup using one of the 3rd-party backup programs), followed by a hard reset, followed by a careful reinstallation of iSkoot alone, followed by a careful reinstallation of your other applications.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast