Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    The iSkoot site is painfully, unusably slow right now. I've been on it over half an hour and still haven't managed to download the .prc
    Quote Originally Posted by krish View Post
    No skype is not a internet phone. it's a software that let's you make calls using internet. That is why it is called VOIP (Voice Over IP) software. The reason for installing skype on cell phone is that using the data services (internet) of your cell phone you can call other skype users or other landline or other mobile phones. You cannot call other skype users if you do not have skype on your cell phone. Also calling international phones using skype will be much cheaper compared to calling through your normal cell phone. having said that instaling skype on your cell phone will make sense only when you have some unlimited data plans for very less. Hope it makes sense.

A few more comments and minor corrections to add:

iSkoot uses your data services to handshake with Skype via iSkoot's portal. But when placing or receiving a call, it bridges your call using your cellphone voice service, via a 617- phone number (in or near Boston, I assume), rather than using your data services for the call.

So you do use some of your cell minutes when placing or receiving calls. The quality of your Skype call will be the degraded combination of iSkoot's internet pipe with your Skype correspondant, combined with your wireless Telco (e.g., Sprint)'s call quality. Like many such hybrids, sometimes the call quality is good and sometimes it's not, although I could say the same thing about Skype in general.

Another nifty feature: you can configure iSkoot so that calls to your Skype account are automatically routed to your cell phone. So your friends/family in foreign countries can call you for free, and you only consume your own (incoming) domestic wireless minutes.
    Please see my comments inline:

Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post

iSkoot uses your data services to handshake with Skype via iSkoot's portal. But when placing or receiving a call, it bridges your call using your cellphone voice service, via a 617- phone number (in or near Boston, I assume), rather than using your data services for the call.

>> Yes iSkoot uses your data as well as cell minutes but skype does not. I was referring to skype all the time :-). Unfortunately skype is not "natively" supported on palm and hence services like iSkoot comes into play.

So you do use some of your cell minutes when placing or receiving calls. The quality of your Skype call will be the degraded combination of iSkoot's internet pipe with your Skype correspondant, combined with your wireless Telco (e.g., Sprint)'s call quality. Like many such hybrids, sometimes the call quality is good and sometimes it's not, although I could say the same thing about Skype in general.

Another nifty feature: you can configure iSkoot so that calls to your Skype account are automatically routed to your cell phone. So your friends/family in foreign countries can call you for free, and you only consume your own (incoming) domestic wireless minutes.
    Please see my comments inline:

>> Yes iSkoot uses your data as well as cell minutes but skype does not. I was referring to skype all the time :-). Unfortunately skype is not "natively" supported on palm and hence services like iSkoot comes into play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12