Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59
  1.    #1  
    I read this on another site. Take it for what it's worth.

    "I've been working at an exclusive indirect dealer since September now, and just yesterday we had a Sprint Data Expert come in and demonstrate all the cool features that can be done with the Palms (755p and Centro mainly), Touch, BlackBerry Pearl, and external bluetooth devices (keyboard, GPS receiver, etc.)

    I myself have a red Centro and I love it, but like many was disappointed to learn that it does not have GPS built in (or so I thought) and is only regular EVDO capable. (Why does it seem like we can't get one perfect phone that can do EVERYTHING? like GPS, full keyboard, tv, camera/camcorder with flash)

    Regardless, this was my opportunity to ask the guy these questions and I asked why we don't have GPS. He said that the Centro does have the GPS chip but it is not enabled yet. I know there was a debate going on in another thread about this. He said the firmware update is being released in first quarter 2008, most probably January, which will make the Centro GPS enabled.

    Second, the Centro has the EVDO Rev A chip as well, but is also not enabled yet. This will also be "turned on" with the new firmware update. This means that all of the Centro users out there will get blazing fast internet on our phones in a very short period of time. I almost can't wait!

    This is some really exciting news. He said that The 755p will also get a firmware update to enable its GPS, however, the 755p is NOT EVDO REV A capable."
  2. conorn's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #2  
    I'd be surprised if there is actually GPS functionality already built-in. GPS as in satellites in the sky that is. More likely they'll be just be exposing an API to read the cell-site location data. But who knows ...

    Could this be what the rep was talking about - palm-to-support-google-maps-my-location-after-all? Seems more likely.

    C
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by conorn View Post
    I'd be surprised if there is actually GPS functionality already built-in. GPS as in satellites in the sky that is. More likely they'll be just be exposing an API to read the cell-site location data. But who knows ...

    Could this be what the rep was talking about - palm-to-support-google-maps-my-location-after-all? Seems more likely.

    C
    The OP is absolutely right and that "source" is also probably correct--or rather is jives with other devices on Sprint getting these features.

    All Sprint phones have GPS capabilities via the gpsOne chipset (Qualcomm MSM series).

    But it is also true: on the smartphones (WM and POS) it is not enabled as the APIs for them were not available. Sprint is rolling out GPS with the RevA update--Sprint said as much in their Buzz forums recently.

    And this is "real" GPS because all aGPS systems can do different modes, including full standalone (just satellite, no server) or a combination of both, depending on how the system is set up. You can read what Sprint says about their aGPS here.

    To add fuel to the fire: Sprint is enabling via a ROM update GPS and RevA on the Touch and Mogul in Q1 2008--once again, this is right from Sprint itself. These devices all have the capability but are "dormant". Read more HERE.

    This is the first I'm hearing of Palm devices getting this capability, but it makes sense since other WM devices are doing the same (Moto Q q9c on Sprint has full GPS in it, marking the first WM device on Sprint, not Nextel, to have GPS enabled)

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. #4  
    So are you guys saying we won't need the Garmin or other BT GPS receivers/software soon? Will Sprint charge for this service like their other GPS plans and will Google's GPS apps be free?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    So are you guys saying we won't need the Garmin or other BT GPS receivers/software soon? Will Sprint charge for this service like their other GPS plans and will Google's GPS apps be free?
    It depends.

    On WM, we have MS Live Search--free, does GPS including aGPS on the Moto Q. Google Maps also does GPS within the system--free too.

    But on Palm, Google Maps doesn't (!) do GPS...yet. And there is no Live Search option either.

    So in that sense, you'd need some 3rd party mapping software and yes, you'd have the option of Sprint's mapping service, which is what they prefer you to use

    Having "My Location" and GPS is actually preferable because they behave radically different:

    • "My Location" = Triangulation = less accurate, but also very fast acquisition (seconds), can work indoors
    • GPS = very accurate, but can take minutes to acquire a signal on "cold start", you also need to be outside

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. #6  
    I have not heard that the Centro will be EVDO Rev A capable. In fact, I have heard that it was a limitation of palm OS 5.xxx/Garnet. Now maybe that is just what everyone tends to blame limitations on (such as the innate inablity to have three radios working) but I have heard such.

    Does anyone know otherwise? I really didn't like the Centro and when my first 755p was stolen I tried the Centro only to return to a second 755p. It really was a matter of preference but if I knew the Centro would have the Rev A upgrade I may have thought otherwise ...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalposter View Post
    I have not heard that the Centro will be EVDO Rev A capable. In fact, I have heard that it was a limitation of palm OS 5.xxx/Garnet. Now maybe that is just what everyone tends to blame limitations on (such as the innate inablity to have three radios working) but I have heard such.

    Does anyone know otherwise? I really didn't like the Centro and when my first 755p was stolen I tried the Centro only to return to a second 755p. It really was a matter of preference but if I knew the Centro would have the Rev A upgrade I may have thought otherwise ...
    I don't think this is accurate. Palm OS supposedly can't do voice/data at the same time, which is something that EvDO RevA can do, but doesn't have to do...

    In fact, voice/data is an optional configuration of RevA and we don't know what Sprint has implemented, though I heard from a tech who does the tower installation say it is *not* voice/data at the same time, but behaves like the current system: 1x or EV, but not both.

    If that is the case, then there is no reason why the Centro can't do RevA--it most likely has the MSM7500 chipset, which is RevA capable via firmware. Sure, there is no mention of RevA update on the Sprint site, but it doesn't say that for the Touch either even though it's the same internals as the Mogul

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #8  
    Good point Malaesta. It is true that the software limitation is that the OS can not do voice and data at the same time. I think I, and others, take that as the limitation of palm OS on Rev A. I looked back at the threads I remembered on Brighthand and it was mainly speculation of the above by myself and others.

    I really did not think the Centro was much of an upgrade over the 755p other then physical size...
  9. #9  
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $both$ $Verizon$ $and$ $Sprint$ $are$ $not$ $supporting$ $voice$/$data$ $over$ $Rev$ $A$ $for$ $now$.

    I've beeing using voice/data over UMTS/HSDPA (even testing video calling for a short time) and it is GREAT! I hope the CDMA carriers will introduce this feature at some point soon. It would be nice, at that point, to see handsets with two (or rotating) cameras so we can have easy video calls.

    If you want to read the original thread, the quote of the OP is taken from SU, posted by gosprint.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

    BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

    A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
  10. #10  
    sprint will notify us of any updates we need for this right?
    Red Centro on SERO, ftw
  11. #11  
    Well this is great if they are able to activate a GPS chip within the Centro. I'm not so worried about Rev. A as I don't use data enough that it would make our break my usage. But I do get tired of having to remember to have other things charged (MP3 player, GPS puck, etc.). So that's just one more step to my Centro being an all in one device. I currently use it with an external GPS and TeleNav.

    Does this mean that even if I'm not in a Sprint data area, I can still get routing directions? Or will that still be a constraint since the routing is probably OTA? I guess the advantage to an activated GPS would be using with TomTom maps or Garmin maps. That might actually be enough to convince me to make the purchase.

    Can't wait to see where this goes.
  12. arielmt's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by z50king View Post
    sprint will notify us of any updates we need for this right?
    Yeah, like a new phone? Two days ago I got a text message on my Centro from Sprint that said:

    "Sprint Navigation is included in your current Sprint plan. Visit your local Sprint store to upgrade to a GPS Navigation enabled phone."
  13. #13  
    Might explain why when this first came out, Sprint had it listed as GPS enabled along with the bundled telenav service plans...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    If that is the case, then there is no reason why the Centro can't do RevA--it most likely has the MSM7500 chipset, which is RevA capable via firmware.
    I seriously doubt the Centro is using any of the Qualcomm 7k chips, it will still be a 6k + apps processor combo at least in the near future. Many MSMs support RevA so we just have to find out which one the Centro has and that will answer our questions.

    I will try to find out but if anyone already knows the answer let me know.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    I seriously doubt the Centro is using any of the Qualcomm 7k chips, it will still be a 6k + apps processor combo at least in the near future. Many MSMs support RevA so we just have to find out which one the Centro has and that will answer our questions.

    I will try to find out but if anyone already knows the answer let me know.
    Good point + you're right.

    It is MSM6500 as you can see it from the FCC docs (and circled below).

    It is also using the PM6650 chipset, which even support R-UIM

    This is interesting from the section that are emails between Palm and the FCC(warning: PDF)
    2. What is the current review status of Zeppelin? Are we ready to submit? The FCC’s review lead-time, last time I was told, could be 3 months.
    3. What is the current review status of Otto? Has the TCB review done?
    4. I need Mike to provide my all the ST and LT confidentiality letters for all 4 models.
    Otto I believe was the code-name for the Treo 500. I'm not sure what "Zeppelin" is though...800w? And 4 models, eh?

    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Centro-msm.jpg

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16. #16  
    I looked around for some tear down pics but didn't even think of the FCC stuff. Bad news is 6500 does not support RevA so that part of the rumor is definitely false.
  17. #17  
    Not true at all! The msm6500 supports Rev A, that's why I linked to the spec sheet above ;-)

    Technical Features
    Supports CDMA2000 1X Rel. 0 and Rev. A, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 and GSM/GPRS networks

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #18  
    whoops...edit above, that's 1x Rev A, not EV Rev A...lol.

    Dang...so no RevA then.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  19. #19  
    The first MSM to support RevA was 6800, the new QSC products also do revA and with their lower chip count would be the best choice for future Palm devices.

    If that link had said 6500 did EVDO RevA then I was going to have to reread some documents tomorrow
    Last edited by nitf; 02/27/2008 at 05:01 PM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikrowave View Post
    ...I asked why we don't have GPS. He said that the Centro does have the GPS chip but it is not enabled yet. I know there was a debate going on in another thread about this. He said the firmware update is being released in first quarter 2008, most probably January, which will make the Centro GPS enabled...
    Any more on this rumor?

    I tried to keep an eye on Sprint during CES, but I didn't see anything about this.

    I hope this comes true. I really love having Google Maps on my phone. It would be really useful for trips around Philadelphia and trips down I-95 with auto scrolling. Google has traffic information for free in these areas. It comes in real handy when I use it with my GPS that does not have TTS.

    Franko
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions