Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Especially since you can do this on the iPhone now without a true GPS chip
    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    An upcoming ROM update to the Centro enables the same feature: tower triangulation for "My Location" in Google Maps. That's direct from Palm.

The GPS-issue (enabling GPS/aGPS) on the device does not have any more info at this time--usual hush-hush on Palm/Sprint's part.

And for the record, aGPS/GPS will always trump "My Location"/tower triangulation. Always. Having both is even better,but given a choice aGPS/GPS is superior.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    True, although even when Centro location services become available, the iPhone services will work better (in urban settings) since it also uses known locations of Wifi access points in its position calculation.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    True, although even when Centro location services become available, the iPhone services will work better (in urban settings) since it also uses known locations of Wifi access points in its position calculation.
    ????
    Thats not true.... but if you think a big circle roughly the size of 3 or 4 blocks is more accurate then a GPS location within 10 yards you may be on to something
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    ????
    Thats not true.... but if you think a big circle roughly the size of 3 or 4 blocks is more accurate then a GPS location within 10 yards you may be on to something
    I think that we're not communicating clearly (probably my fault).

True (satelliite-based) GPS is certainly much more accurate than location-based-services inferred from cell phone tower info and/or wifi router info.

But cell phone tower info augmented with Wifi router location info will be more accurate than cell phone tower info alone.

True (satelliite-based) GPS is certainly much more accurate than location-based-services inferred from cell phone tower info and/or wifi router info.

But cell phone tower info augmented with Wifi router location info will be more accurate than cell phone tower info alone.
    Correct and GPS with assisted-servers (aGPS) is the most accurate.

No reason why the iPhone can't do aGPS--it has the aGPS chip for e911, but this gets into that "either Apple hasn't written the APIs to access it-or-AT&T will not allow it" debate.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Clarifications:

GPS: satellite-based data
    a-GPS: celltower-based data (triangulation)

iPhone uses a-GPS and WiFi hotspot data.
    Promised Centro update will use a-GPS.
    these sound nice and all....but it actually pisses me off. they are doing all this to make things faster, but at the same time i live within an hour of a major city (indianapolis) and we have 5 colleges in our city (terre haute) yet i can't even get broadband or EVDO...what's up with that? they spend millions to update the highspeed areas to now even faster broadband but they can't even put a highspeed tower in my city of 5 colleges and all these students?

until they do that, i don't give a crap about all the updates....i can't even get the stuff that has been around for a few years so why do i need to worry about the stuff that "might" be coming out? heck, even if it comes out now it'll be 10 years before i'll have it.
    Does anyone know where I can find out WHEN this ROM update is scheduled?

--m
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Ok, I'm an Over the Road, Over the hill cross country truck driver. Not very knowledgeable about technical stuff - trying to catch up & I'm new to all this smartphone stuff. Can't wait to get a Centro & doing my research & homework (Treo 800??). I'm using Sprint Telenav w/my Samsung A920 & it's been a great help. Sorry to hear that Centro's don't have GPS & I tried to ask Sprint tech support f a GPS rcvr(bluetooth) $90, w/my Centro wud allow me to use Sprint Navigation & they couldn't answer me.
    It would be nice if I could afford the GPS bundle (rcvr & software) because when I don't have Sprint signal, Telenav doesn't work. I think I can save my $ & get a GPS Bluetooth rcvr ($90?) then get the software later. BUT b4 I do that, I've read the previous replies & saw that you all were saying that Centro does hv GPS & all Sprint has todo is wake it up? Also the stand alone GPS rcvr is supposed to be super duper with like 20 channels. Are those better than the GPS that's inside the Centro?? thanks for your help
    so why do I, a Palm owner, give a rat's a** what the iphone can and can't do? Not a hater, but it has nothing to do with this thread? This is really not a thread for an iphone/centro debate.

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    a true satellite based gps (a BT puck in this case mated to the Centro) will be more accurate than when Sprint enables a-gps on the centro that access it's 911 chip to use cell tower triangulation to pinpoint your location. You'd be in the same boat as your are with telenav if you didn't have a sprint signal.

You can get a bluetooth receiver for far less than $90. you can get a software/gps bundle for about $160.
    Quote Originally Posted by edibledawg View Post
    Ok, I'm an Over the Road, Over the hill cross country truck driver. Not very knowledgeable about technical stuff - trying to catch up & I'm new to all this smartphone stuff. Can't wait to get a Centro & doing my research & homework (Treo 800??). I'm using Sprint Telenav w/my Samsung A920 & it's been a great help. Sorry to hear that Centro's don't have GPS & I tried to ask Sprint tech support f a GPS rcvr(bluetooth) $90, w/my Centro wud allow me to use Sprint Navigation & they couldn't answer me.
    It would be nice if I could afford the GPS bundle (rcvr & software) because when I don't have Sprint signal, Telenav doesn't work. I think I can save my $ & get a GPS Bluetooth rcvr ($90?) then get the software later. BUT b4 I do that, I've read the previous replies & saw that you all were saying that Centro does hv GPS & all Sprint has todo is wake it up? Also the stand alone GPS rcvr is supposed to be super duper with like 20 channels. Are those better than the GPS that's inside the Centro?? thanks for your help
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I just ordered a Holux M1200 bluetooth receiver for my centro. I got it for $47 shipped on ebay. Hopefully it will be here today!!! I plan to use it with garmin mobile xt which I already have installed. I figure this is the best route to go and if the GPS does ever get enabled and works great I can always sell the receiver....But I dont think the GPS will ever be that great on the centro.......
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    ok, thanks. Can't wait. I'll give up Telenav when I get my Centro and save up for the GPS bundle. Any reccomendations? Tom Tom, Garmin, Copilot? I can always use google maps or Mapquest till get it. Not the same as GPS I'm sad to say, but when I'm in middle of nowhere, Like Wyoming or Arizona, wher's there is no cell signal, wifi, let alone Sprint, I can use GPS. There are times, even in a heavy metro area where Telenav says GPS signal is weak & can't generate route or even find the nearest Walmart where it frustrates me the most. Thanks for your help. BTW, should I wait for treo 800???
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalposter View Post
    I really did not think the Centro was much of an upgrade over the 755p other then physical size...
    Seems to be a LOT of improvement over the 700/755p - marked speed improvements, no white-screens, almost no lag, few crashes, faster Blazer, better Bluetooth, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    these sound nice and all....but it actually pisses me off. they are doing all this to make things faster, but at the same time i live within an hour of a major city (indianapolis) and we have 5 colleges in our city (terre haute) yet i can't even get broadband or EVDO...what's up with that?
    Even though your phone says "Sprint" you are in a service area that is owned by an affiliate. My experience from working in one such affiliate's area and living in a Sprint EVDO area is that 1. There are no tower handoffs between the two systems (i.e., calls drop), and that 2. The 1xRTT affiliate's system is a royal pain. I feel for you, but I think there is little Sprint can do if they are only leasing the space.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I'm no expert, but based on what I've read from Malatesta, aGPS is actually better than GPS. It uses satellites and cell tower info to find the location which provides faster and more accurate information. I have no idea if the Centro will get an update, but if it does, I think it will be better than using a bluetooth GPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Sine you have a data plan with the Centro, why not try Earthcomber for GPS navigation (it uses internet to calculate routes) that way all you spend is $40-45 for a GPS receiver and you are ready to go. At least until you decide on a commercial alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    so why do I, a Palm owner, give a rat's a** what the iphone can and can't do? Not a hater, but it has nothing to do with this thread? This is really not a thread for an iphone/centro debate.
    Crogs, the reason is because the iPhone is using this same technology to get "GPS" location. Saying that since the iPhone can do it, then maybe we will be able to as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    Sine you have a data plan with the Centro, why not try Earthcomber for GPS navigation (it uses internet to calculate routes) that way all you spend is $40-45 for a GPS receiver and you are ready to go. At least until you decide on a commercial alternative.
    If he has Telenav, he already has a bluetooth GPS receiver (I think).

Since he's a truck driver, he probably needs audio turn-by-turn navigation, which to the best of my knowledge, Earthcomber lacks.

semsons.com has TomTom 6 for $100 ... this seems like a good deal. I have no affiliation with them, etc. If he doesn't already have a bluetooth GPS receiver, they usually have good deals on 'bundles.'
    yes, semsons is a good site. I couldn't remember the name to offer it up before.

no prob with the iphone comment. Was just seeing the whole ipod vs centro comments coming on.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast