Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    So after installing the most recent version from get.good.com on Friday, I'm ready to uninstall. The luxury of being able to receive email from work is definitely outweighed by the inconvenience of no longer being able to use the hidden lookup field, no longer being able to go directly to my Pocket Outlook contacts, calendar, etc. Thankfully my Palm SMS software still works.

Has anyone figured out any reg hacks or something to fix so that when I go to Menu -> Contacts it shows my Pocket Outlook contacts instead of Good?

Secondly, is there any better programs for syncing with an exchange server? I know the guy in charge of pushing the software out at my company said I'd regret installing it on my phone because of how bad it crashes everyone else's, but didn't realize it was going to hijack all of my other stuff.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of GMM. If all you need as an end-user is reliable push mail and very basic features for contact/calendar synchronization then GMM might be your solution. If you want rich feature-sets out of any of these or if you want your $200-400 device to work in any other capacity then GMM is not going to make you happy in the slightest.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    connekkted-

do you have any other alternatives to suggest?

I think I'm about done with Palm so I'm looking at the WM devices. I'm trying to figure out what's the best plan to get exchange on a WM device. I need subfolders in the inbox (I think pocket outlook will do that?) and some ability to share contacts with the other guys in my office (currently we use public folders for a shared contact's group as good supports that- but I'm open to any other way to do it well).

any suggestions?

I'd just stick with good but my hosted provider is slow to upgrade and I aslo apparently need good to do their 5.0 SP1 to get support for the WM6 devices we're looking at. So I figure rather than wait around, maybe i should look into other choices....
    Quote Originally Posted by meissen View Post
    So after installing the most recent version from get.good.com on Friday, I'm ready to uninstall. The luxury of being able to receive email from work is definitely outweighed by the inconvenience of no longer being able to use the hidden lookup field, no longer being able to go directly to my Pocket Outlook contacts, calendar, etc. Thankfully my Palm SMS software still works.

Has anyone figured out any reg hacks or something to fix so that when I go to Menu -> Contacts it shows my Pocket Outlook contacts instead of Good?

Secondly, is there any better programs for syncing with an exchange server? I know the guy in charge of pushing the software out at my company said I'd regret installing it on my phone because of how bad it crashes everyone else's, but didn't realize it was going to hijack all of my other stuff.
    You could try telling your admin to disable the oneway sync to your Palm contacts. Then you will be able to search your Pocket Outlook contacts from the main search bar and your GMM contacts from within GMM. Downside is that caller ID will not work for GMM contacts--they will show as "unknown" although the phone number will display-- just the Pocket Outlook contacts will work with caller ID. However, your call log will actually show the callers name if they are in your GMM contacts but as soon as you dial it then your screen will show "unknown" (this is a screw up on GMM's part and the names should actually not show in the caller ID log if the GMM contacts are not synced with your Palm contacts and I bet they will do their best to fix this if the latest 5.0 revision hasn't already done this....)

I don't think anyone can write a hack for this because GMM is designed to be "secure" and heavily controlled by the "company". I think their code is very tightly guarded.

Doesn't the WM6 native email app sync with Exchange or do you need something on the server end to enable this? You are out of my league on this one.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    You could try telling your admin to disable the oneway sync to your Palm contacts. Then you will be able to search your Pocket Outlook contacts from the main search bar and your GMM contacts from within GMM. Downside is that caller ID will not work for GMM contacts--they will show as "unknown" although the phone number will display-- just the Pocket Outlook contacts will work with caller ID. However, your call log will actually show the callers name if they are in your GMM contacts but as soon as you dial it then your screen will show "unknown" (this is a screw up on GMM's part and the names should actually not show in the caller ID log if the GMM contacts are not synced with your Palm contacts and I bet they will do their best to fix this if the latest 5.0 revision hasn't already done this....)

I don't think anyone can write a hack for this because GMM is designed to be "secure" and heavily controlled by the "company". I think their code is very tightly guarded.

Doesn't the WM6 native email app sync with Exchange or do you need something on the server end to enable this? You are out of my league on this one.
    WM5 and WM6 native Outlook support Exchange Server Active Sync however one's Exchange administrators must enable Microsoft EAS Direct Push email on the Exchange server along with security policies and possibly an ISA server to increase security.

There are other alternatives for push email like SEVEN, Intellisync, Extended Systems One Bridge etc but the best are GMM, BlackBerry, and MS EAS. Meissen, what specifically is the issue you have with GMM on your device? Do you have a Palm OS Treo or WM? It maybe a case of understanding what GMM offers and how to use it to your needs vs. becoming frustrated trying to make GMM fit your usage.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Definitely willing to keep it on if I can get it to suit my needs. It's a Palm Treo 700w, WM5. I have all my personal contacts in Pocket Outlook. Now with GMM installed, my soft keys pull up Good Contacts, the quick lookup in the Today screen only looks at Good Contacts, and my calendar is now only the Good Calendar. I get prompted for a password after my phone has been off for more than a minute -- but I understand that this is more of a security "feature" for our department rather than something within GMM itself.
    meissen I understand your thoughts above but consider that if you want corporate email you need to secure your device. Your calendar appts\mtgs, contacts (especially if you are in sales or an exec) and possibly your Inbox messages could be valuable to a hacker or competitor.

For the Security policy locking your phone every minute, go to Start Settings and Password (or Lock). Check the timeout value to ensure you have it set to the maximum your IT dept allows. Some devices for some odd reason will set password timeout to the lowest setting during the install and most users dont see it unless they know to confirm it.

As to the hijack of Soft Keys and the GMM apps becoming the default, ask yourself if you want the 700w for corporate or personal use. GMMs main focus is to deliver a secure product for delivering corporate email. Yes it oversteps its bounds a bit and perhaps could be a generic app like adding Informant or Sling Player but it is what it is. It tries very hard to make a Palm OS and WM devices like a RIM BlackBerry - phone + push email. With all the functionality of a Palm or WM device the two concepts but heads before finding compromise.

Happy New Year
    Quote Originally Posted by meissen View Post
    Definitely willing to keep it on if I can get it to suit my needs. It's a Palm Treo 700w, WM5. I have all my personal contacts in Pocket Outlook. Now with GMM installed, my soft keys pull up Good Contacts, the quick lookup in the Today screen only looks at Good Contacts, and my calendar is now only the Good Calendar.
    I have a T-Mobile MDA and Good 4.9.3 and this is definitely a pain for me because MS Voice Command looks to the pocket outlook contacts list to recognize names. I can get to the Pocket Outlook Calendar and Tasks through the Programs folder, but not Contacts. I was able to reprogram the voice dial button to pull up the Pocket Outlook Contacts, though. I can also get to it at least to add somebody by assigning a contact to an appointment. But no amount of fiddling with the target of the Contacts shortcut would work though.
    Quote Originally Posted by elorimer View Post
    I have a T-Mobile MDA and Good 4.9.3 and this is definitely a pain for me because MS Voice Command looks to the pocket outlook contacts list to recognize names. I can get to the Pocket Outlook Calendar and Tasks through the Programs folder, but not Contacts. I was able to reprogram the voice dial button to pull up the Pocket Outlook Contacts, though. I can also get to it at least to add somebody by assigning a contact to an appointment. But no amount of fiddling with the target of the Contacts shortcut would work though.
    Not to beat a dead horse... but in GMM 5.0, there is a constant one way sync from GMM contacts to outlook contacts.

Unfortunately, for the 700w, the end is 4.9.x