1.    #1  
    I am getting a T700P to replace my T650. Normally if I get a replacement 650, I just hotsync the old unit and then hotsync the new unit. Between my sync programs and backup buddy the new phone is imaged identical to the old phone.

Now that I am getting a slightly different model, i am wondering if this will work. I know on PCs you can't image the OS to different chipsets. Is there a similar issue with Treos? Please let me know.
    I wouldnt recommend it.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    No, it is not a good idea to install your 650 backup onto a different Palm device.

You will end up with big problems down the road.

What you should do, is hotsync your PIM data (Calendar, Contacts, Memos, Tasks) onto your new Palm device only.

Everything else, like add-on software should be installed by a clean install.

at&t iPhone3G
    I would follow the "clean install" tips. I have used backupbuddy in the past (I still keep a copy of it on my extra mini SD card) but I have used NVBackup for all of my NVFS devices.

When I upgraded from a T|X to 755p I did the install with PIM only. I then did selective installs with NVBackup. The great thing is that you get your apps and settings (including registration info) on all of the apps you need and you leave behind the hidden 650 apps you do not want on your 700p. Plus it gives you the oppritunity to perge no longer needed software!

Good luck!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalposter View Post
    I would follow the "clean install" tips. I have used backupbuddy in the past (I still keep a copy of it on my extra mini SD card) but I have used NVBackup for all of my NVFS devices.

When I upgraded from a T|X to 755p I did the install with PIM only. I then did selective installs with NVBackup. The great thing is that you get your apps and settings (including registration info) on all of the apps you need and you leave behind the hidden 650 apps you do not want on your 700p. Plus it gives you the oppritunity to perge no longer needed software!

Good luck!
    Thank you. This is very helpful. That was my main concern was getting my settings back but it didn't occur to me to do a selective backup. What about backing up applications that i like (not just PIM)? Will that work on a selective backup basis?