Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Are there any Apps you know of that, in your opinion, push the Palm envelope?

Here are a few I think should be credited:

Dreadling -
    This 3D game simply ROCKS! I'd love to see them improve upon it (sharper graphix!)

ZioGolf-
    This game reminds me of the version I use to play on a Windows laptop. It's exquisitely detailed!

TealMovie-
    WOW! Too bad Palm's don't have decent speakers. (VisorSpeaker! Module!)

VRally -
    I think this game is pretty good too. Nice detail, 3-D feel.

SimCity -
    This is amazing! How on earth did they get this game in pocket form?

----

Know of any others???
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    SplashPhoto
    DrawIt!
    RaceFever
    Zap2016

Stowaway
    WordSmith
    Bonsai
    DayNotez

SOme of these might not be "Killer Apps", but I just think these items listed give me all the functionality I need to be productive from something that can fit in a large pocket.

The first four I listed are the ones that I keep on my system to make people druel (even the ppc guys), the lower 4 are the items that really prove the purpose beyond the cool-techno-nerd factor that the top four prove. :-)

James
  3.    #3  
    The Stowaway is really cool.

I had trouble with the steering on my copy of Race Fever. It got to the point where the game was no longer enjoyable. That's what kept it from making my list.

Another one I should add is Graypaint.

Graypaint has full 16 shade support (even on my VDX) , can create killer images, and best of all, IT'S FREE!

I also LOVE Diddle! It was actually the first Palm app I ever installed off the internet on my IIIxe. Still have it!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    My Killer Apps that make my Prism so useful:
    • AvantGo (Can't believe neither of you listed this)
    • Eudora
    • WordSmith
    • Noah Lite
    • Monkey
    • Photos
    • CSpotRun (MemPlug edition!)
    • TealMovie
    • YahDice
    • Yaps
    • Zillionare
    • DrawIt
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    The Stowaway's an App?

I can't do without:
    DateBook+
    WordSmith
    Diddle (if I could only extract the images to my desktop ...)
    ATool
    PalmInfo
    PortaKitty (all the responsibility, none of the love ... too bad I can't have a real one, darn landlord)

I'm also addicted to Pilomns at the moment.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Splash Photo
    Zap 2016!
    Ababall
    Bejeweled!
    Draw It!
    Have A Good Day!
    I Love My Prism!
    I need:

Launcher III
    Vindigo
    AvantGo
    HandyShop
    Mapopolis
    SplashMoney
    ThinkDB
    WordSmith
    DB4

I think that the app that I use that pushed the envelope the most is prob. WordSmith.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I need:

Launcher III
    Vindigo
    AvantGo
    HandyShop
    Mapopolis
    SplashMoney
    ThinkDB
    WordSmith
    DB4

I think that the app that I use that pushed the envelope the most is prob. WordSmith.
    Not really directed at you, but there's a difference between a "killer app" and an app that "pushes the envelope". Traditionally, a 'killer app' is one which will drive sales of an item. IOW, spreadsheets were an early 'killer app' for PCs because once they were released, popularity and sales of PCs increased (along with spreadsheets obviously). The built-in applications along with the size were the original 'killer apps' for the Palms. People could ditch day planners for a smaller battery operated handheld device and still have all of their information. In that sense, a killer app would have to be something that really drove sales for a platform. Also, 'application' in this sense doesn't necessarily mean 'software program' but rather its more broad connotation of 'use' (as in 'use of technology', so yeah Yorick the Stowaway is an 'app' in this sense).

It seems more like this post is looking for 'killer apps' in the 'kewl' sense of 'killer'.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    Not really directed at you, but there's a difference between a "killer app" and an app that "pushes the envelope [...]
    It seems more like this post is looking for 'killer apps' in the 'kewl' sense of 'killer'.
    Right. Sorry, should have been more clear. I was trying to navigate the original intent of the thread (first post, "pushing the envelope"), and the thread's drift (killer apps). So I listed both the kewl, killer apps that I sue and the amazing, "shouldn't have fit on the handheld," Wordsmith.

(at least I didn't make you say "bah!" )
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Right. Sorry, should have been more clear. [...]
    Well, I thought you were clear enough. Your post was just convenient to reply to.

(at least I didn't make you say "bah!" )
    True. True.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Oops! Forgot the ultimate "Push the Envelope of your PDA software"

Afterburner!

Benchmarking at 312% and loving every microsecond!
    <><
    The Ultimate Killer App (pushing envelopment) for the Palm OS is...drum roll please...

DRAW-IT

Its Photoshop for the Palm and its FREE. Whop say the best things aren't free?

Killer app (practicaly) goes to.....

THinkDB - I can track just about anything with this thing.

Killer App (Super Cool) goes to...

SplashPhoto tied with TealMovie
    Originally posted by LanMan
    BibleReader:
    http://www.olivetree.com
    Who'd have guessed that Jesus' words would become so monetarily expensive? I've been waiting on the Gideons, but to no avail so far.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

Who'd have guessed that Jesus' words would become so monetarily expensive? I've been waiting on the Gideons, but to no avail so far.
    The King James is broken down by book here:

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/ebooklist.html

U Virginia E text center also has a random assorment of 19th century American writing & a few other, random things. All free, in HTML, Palmdoc, or Microsoft Reader format.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

****, I'm not sure I understand your comment. Olive Tree offers a free Bible reader, and about a dozen versions of the Bible for free. They do sell versions that are copyrighted, but you have a choice for freeware versions.

That is why I support Olive Tree over other Bible programs. They do offer freeware selections. They also have the most translations.

And they offer a daily Bible tracker program called BibleReadMe for free that links directly into their Bibles.

Therefore, I feel that Olive Tree is doing an excellent job of being good stewards.

For more information try this link:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=14824
    <><
    Originally posted by LanMan
    They do sell versions that are copyrighted, but you have a choice for freeware versions.
    Stupid Question, but how do you copyright the Bible?
    Isn't it considered Public Domain?
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick

how do you copyright the Bible?
    I think you would copyright different translations of the Bible. Just a guess, though.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon

I think you would copyright different translations of the Bible. Just a guess, though.
    Yep. Actually, I've heard that to copyright anything you have created/translated, you just put "Copyright, Year, Name," on the text, and BAM!, copyrighted. Or at least, it's almost that simple.

Copyright 2001, Dieter Bohn.

(of course, you can still quote me under Fair Use)
    Yes, different (modern) translations are copyrighted. The NIV (New International Version) is copyrighted by the Zondervan publishers and the International Bible Society. That is why Laridian must sell it at a higher price than the KJV (King James Version). They have to pay Zondervan a fee for every NIV Bible that they sell, whereas the KJV is public domain and no fee is necessary.

Here is a link regarding the Bible apps discussion from 11/99. Craig, of Laridian's MyBible, goes into detail to explain the royalty fee associated with the NIV translation:

"Let's compare the KJV and the NIV. There's a $10 royalty on the NIV (which, if you want to complain about price, that's a good place to start) and none on the KJV."

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...5&pagenumber=2

Might I suggest that we move this worthy discussion to the Christian Software link:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=14824

Last edited by LanMan; 06/06/2001 at 01:01 PM.
    <><
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast