Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...gn=TreoCentral

6gb card says "works with centro"
    <a href="http://www.tmicell.com/?aid=22671">Deep Discounts and Great Selection on Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint/Nextel</a>

CENTRO FREE w/new contract!! Free Shipping

<a href="http://www.tmiwireless.com/affiliate/?aid=22671">Join the tmiWireless.com cell phone affiliate program and earn excellent commissions on 2 tiers. You get a free personalized website, 24/7 statistics and reporting, and residual income on some products.</a>

http://www.famouswireless.net
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdrummer82 View Post
    Who said 6gb doesn't work on the Centro? It does SDHC, therefore 4+gb cards.

The only "issue" is how the OS reports free space--it's wonky. But that doesn't actually effect usage.

I and many others have been using 6gb cards (in fact I own that very one you link to) for weeks now--not a single problem.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Thats great to know. When I purchased my Centro they told me 4 was the max so I got a 4GB card. Maybe I will upgrade to a 6 in the future. Thanks.

By the way I cant seem to get any of my card readers to reconize my SDHC in the SD adapter they give you . Anyone know why that might be.
    Can it be used on a 755????
    I have a 6gig card as well (the SanDisk one), but I must use it differently from Malatesta, because I do have several issues with it:

• The Audible app has a live connection link with iTunes on OSX. It does not see the entire 6gigs, and will fail trying to copy once I go over that. I got around it by copying one file through the live connection (which allowed me to authorize my centro to my Audible account), and copied the rest using the Card Reader app.

• It takes much longer to delete files off the card from my Centro than it took from the 2gig SanDisk I initially used for about a month...up to 4 or 5 times as long. This can take ridiculous amounts of time when trying to delete a 400+ megabyte avi file after watching it in TCPMP. As a result, I've not been watching as many videos on my Centro as I did on my TX due to the time it takes to get videos on and off the device. It also takes a very long time to copy larger files to the card - even when using the Card Reader app or an external reader. It seems like when a file is roughly above 70-100 megs the time to copy it increases disproportionately.

• The slow deletion times cause an issue with how I typically use my Centro each day. I listen to close to 20 podcasts each week using Pocket Tunes and using Bluetooth stereo headphones thanks to Softick Audio Gateway, and have always just deleted the files after I was done with them, usually while listening to the next one on the list. Deleting a file in pTunes while listening to another will often cause the playback to freeze temporarily, but due to the longer deletion times, the playback delay is much more annoying. Worse yet, the playback delay seems to trigger an issue with Audio Gateway, which leads to the headset losing connection to the Centro and can't be reconnected unless I either soft reset or turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on...which is highly annoying. Small file deletions usually don't trigger this issue, but any mp3 over 15megs or so can cause it, and most podcasts are more than 15 megs. This appears to be an issue with SAG ultimately (as best I can tell), but it never did this with the SanDisk 2gig card I used.

• The slow copying times for larger files via mounting the card on my computer was frustrating for a while too, and led me to try to use Resco Neeews to download my podcasts straight to my centro, instead of downloading them in iTunes and copying them over. I have it set to download my podcasts around 3am, so that they are ready to listen to in the morning when I get up, and I can always individually download files during the day if necessary. Neeews can be finicky at times in getting all the files to download at one connection, but then again, iTunes occasionally did too. Overall, I'm happier with my current "workflow" for getting the podcasts onto the Centro, but the change happened as a result of the 6gig card acting wonky.

• I use Missing Sync to sync my Centro with my Mac, and have done so with several previous Palm devices. MS comes with a Card Reader type utility, which has allowed me to not require the Mobile Stream Card Reader app on my previous Palm devices. However, the Missing Sync card reader does not seem to play well with the 6gig card, and would constantly drop out during copying attempts. I posted about this in the MarkSpace forums, and the reply from the MarkSpace employees who post on that forum was basically "the Centro doesn't officially support cards over 4gig". I didn't like that answer really, but regardless, it left me out. I've since purchased Mobile Stream's Card Reader app, and it works reasonably well, although very larger files seem to bog down disproportionately to their size.

• I also have read another post where someone had an issue with Documents to Go's desktop conduit not syncing properly due to the misreported free space, but have no knowledge of that on my own.

Many of these issues have the potential of being alleviated by updates to certain apps, but my initial attempts to query the software developers has been been met with responses that the Centro doesn't support cards above 4 gigs (which is not really true - Palm says on their site they only tested to 4 gigs, but they saw no reason larger ones wouldn't work).

I did format the card using an external card reader on my OSX machine. At some point, I might try to move everything off my card an format it using a Windows machine to see if that makes a miraculous difference, but I kinda doubt it...the Mac formatted it as a Fat32 volume, which is what is necessary for SDHC.

I'm confused by the slower copy/delete time, because this is a class 4 SDHC card, and it seems much slower than the 2gb SD card by the same manufaturer...I thought the new SDHC classes were supposed to improve the minimum speeds, not just have a higher theoretical max speed?

For me it's a tradeoff - I can keep more stuff on my card long-term, and still have plenty of room for my daily podcasts, without worrying about running out of space like I did on my TX and a 4gig SD card...but boy would it be nice for once for something in tech to just be better all-around, not one step forward, one step back.
    Last edited by porkozone; 12/08/2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Found the character limit for entering a post on my Centro
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    By the way I cant seem to get any of my card readers to reconize my SDHC in the SD adapter they give you . Anyone know why that might be.
    You'll need to use card readers that support SDHC. Or, if you're running Windows XP, this hotfix may enable you to read SDHC. It worked on the integrated SD card reader on my laptop, but not the card reader I use with my desktop.
    My PDA progression Palm III -> Palm IIIXE -> PALM IIIC -> PALM M130 -> iPaq H2215 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Centro
    Hmm... the 8GB cards from SanDisk are due to arrive on some websites on the week of Dec. 17th, so I'm going to give one a try and see how they work on my Centro + Mac.

I suspect the same issues will crop up that porkozone identified, but nothing seems like a show-stopper. Not to mention, I use SyncTunes on my card reader to load my iTunes library on my card, instead of MissingSync (which I use for everything else).
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
  8.    #8  
    does it mean you can only access 4gb of 6gb or it only reads 4??
    <a href="http://www.tmicell.com/?aid=22671">Deep Discounts and Great Selection on Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint/Nextel</a>

CENTRO FREE w/new contract!! Free Shipping

<a href="http://www.tmiwireless.com/affiliate/?aid=22671">Join the tmiWireless.com cell phone affiliate program and earn excellent commissions on 2 tiers. You get a free personalized website, 24/7 statistics and reporting, and residual income on some products.</a>

http://www.famouswireless.net
    the full 6gigs are available in most cases, but some apps report there's only 4gig available. Sometimes this causes problems when trying to move files to the card due to the discrepancy. From what I've seen though if you manage to get the files on the card, you're set.
    this thread is what i've been looking for

i'm at exactly the same boat as y'all here, except i have a 755p instead of a Centro...

but like you, i also use a Mac and Missing Sync, Listen to podcasts, download RSS feeds to my card thru Quicknews, and also wondering howthe performance of the 6gb card would be

to those of you using missing sync, do you use the synchronize folders feature of MS? this i use heavily to keep important data files and pictures synced with my Mac and a folder in my Treo's card? what's your experience so far? and how is installing stuff to your 6gb card like... does it work right? does it hang in the midle of a copy/install to card?
    I haven't used the MS Folder sync since I got my Centro, but previously I used it quite a bit. I've been curious if the folder sync would be affected too...I'll have to test it out and see in the next day or so.
    hows your missing sync trials with sync folder doin porkozone?
    I have a 6gig SanDisk mini SD card in my Centro, and I've reviewed it for TreoCentral, though the review hasn't been published yet. - I see that I have to make some changes, now, before that happens! I use Windows XP Pro, and the card's working fine. Windows reports the capacity INcorrectly.

pTunes reports it as a 2-gig-minus-some card, too. Otherwise, I put it in the included carrier and poked it into a USB 2.0 port on my 'puter, and it worked the first time. I did not try it in any of my other card readers because I doubt they're SDHC. Besides, the white one that came with the card is way cool looking.

I did not format the card in either the Centro or Windows because it worked out of the package. For slowness, I haven't observed it being any different from my 1-Gig SimpleTech brand mini SD. My Centro is still quite vanilla. Only one piece of third-party software in it (Screenshot). But I do have a bunch of MP3 files and some pictures on the cards.

I took "SDHC" in the Centro specs to mean ANY capacity SDHC-legal card. If there were a 4g limit, I'd be ticked. No one would care, but I'd still be ticked.

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Gross; 12/15/2007 at 03:51 AM.
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Sprint Treo 650, drowned Sprint Treo 700P, Treo 700w, and a crimson Treo 680 (yeah!), plus a red Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jaygross View Post
    I have a 6gig SanDisk mini SD card in my Centro, and I've reviewed it for TreoCentral, though the review hasn't been published yet. - I see that I have to make some changes, now, before that happens! I use Windows XP Pro, and the card's working fine. Windows reports the capacity INcorrectly.

pTunes reports it as a 2-gig-minus-some card, too. Otherwise, I put it in the included carrier and poked it into a USB 2.0 port on my 'puter, and it worked the first time. I did not try it in any of my other card readers because I doubt they're SDHC. Besides, the white one that came with the card is way cool looking.

I did not format the card in either the Centro or Windows because it worked out of the package. For slowness, I haven't observed it being any different from my 1-Gig SimpleTech brand mini SD. My Centro is still quite vanilla. Only one piece of third-party software in it (Screenshot). But I do have a bunch of MP3 files and some pictures on the cards.

I took "SDHC" in the Centro specs to mean ANY capacity SDHC-legal card. If there were a 4g limit, I'd be ticked. No one would care, but I'd still be ticked.

Jay
    Jay did you try installing stuff to your card thru the hotsync operation? did it work? some people have reported some difficulties particularly with docs2go docs installing over hotsync. docs2go refuses to put stuff on the card because it sees the card as "full".
    Why do some people persist in spreading false information?

Every microSD and microSDHC card works in the Centro. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Why do some people persist in spreading false information?

my friend its not false information... as you can read from this thread the 6gb card CAN work with the Centro, except for some inaccuracies and inconviniences in its operation when working with some apps... and thats what this thread is trying to lay out for everyone... so when someone buys cards >4gb they will know what they will expect and not expect it to work PERFECTLY
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Jay did you try installing stuff to your card thru the hotsync operation? did it work? some people have reported some difficulties particularly with docs2go docs installing over hotsync. docs2go refuses to put stuff on the card because it sees the card as "full".
    It appeared to work fine with HotSync, but that was with very little on the card. Maybe if it chunked up toward the approximately-two-gigs that XP Pro reports, it would be a problem. I only made one test, and since it worked I moved on to other things.

Jay
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Sprint Treo 650, drowned Sprint Treo 700P, Treo 700w, and a crimson Treo 680 (yeah!), plus a red Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    So I assumed, until I invoked Card Info (from the Apps screen) on the 6-gig micro SDHC card. It reports about 2 gigs of space, correctly totals up the music and pictures I have on there, and doesn't "do the math" to come up with the right answer for total capacity. The card is simply not being honored correctly.

Whether that's a fault of the card or Palm PS, well, who knows. However, I tend to absolve the card, because it is apparently honored correctly in my Kodak Z1275 digital camera. The camera reports number of pix, not gigabytes, but the difference between a 4-gig and the 6-gig card is proportional, so it apparently knows correctly how much more space there is.

Jay
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Quote Originally Posted by porkozone View Post
    I also have read another post where someone had an issue with Documents to Go's desktop conduit not syncing properly due to the misreported free space, but have no knowledge of that on my own.
    This is what killed my Kingston card. I installed the DTG conduit. Hotsync'd. That night, while backing up with NVBackup, it froze because it couldn't recognize the card. The card could never be read again. Lost all the data and sent it back to Kingston for replacement.
    God this is getting to be a difficult decision...

I am itching to buy this online already for my personal christmas gift and today or tomorrow it seems is the last day for me to get it before christmas...

Guys should i get this card or not? should i just get another 4gb card? would like your opinions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast