1.    #1  
    I've just purchased a Holux M1200 keychain bluetooth GPS receiver. I don't have mapping software yet. I've looked at Garmin Mobile XT and Tom Tom 6 but have ruled out Garmin because its licensing scheme ties it to either a Garmin receiver or the Garmin SD card that the software ships on. I want to use my onw SD card and my new Holux M1200 receiver, therefore Garmin is out for me.

With that said, I haven't yet purchased Tom Tom. But I assume I will and will have more questions to follow. Thus the initiation of this thread.

At this point, the only real concern I have is whether or not I will be able to use Tom Tom in the foreground with pTunes streaming Internet audio in the background. pTunes streaming Internet radio is one of my most used apps with the Treo--especially in the car where I'm most likely to use Tom Tom--so I'm hopeful that I will not lose the ability to listen to streaming radio while using the GPS software.

Can any of you Tom Tom users enlighten me as to whether or not pTunes Internet streaming radio will work in the background while Tom Tom is running?

Thanks!
    Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    Is there anytime that Ptunes cannot play in the background? I have never streamed while using tomtom but I have also never ran into a situation where Ptunes wouldn't stream in the background. It has always worked fine for me.
    I just tried it on my Centro, out of curiosity, and the streaming worked fine in the background while TomTom 6 was running. A minor problem I noticed was that the TomTom voice was a little choppy. Not too bad though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Can any of you Tom Tom users enlighten me as to whether or not pTunes Internet streaming radio will work in the background while Tom Tom is running?
    I have done this often. There is the minor problem with Tomtom directions stuttering but there is also a problem when the signal drops and the stream does not restart after buffering. Then you have to exit Tomtom and enter pTunes to restart the stream. When you return to Tomtom, it should restart navigation automatically but occasionaly I've had to begin navigation manually using the last destination. If I am traveling in a low/intermittant signal area, I'll usually just switch to mp3 for a while to avoid losing my way.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. I assumed it would work, but I wanted to make sure.

Looks like I'm going to make the purchase for Tom Tom. I've heard that the maps are better with Garmin, but I can't live with the Garmin Mobile XT licensing restrictions so I'll give Tom Tom my business.

Thanks, Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p