1.    #1  
    Folks,

I have an almost two year old 700p with the MR. I am not thrilled with it -- I use Chatter E-mail connected to my corporate account, but hate the 30 seconds it takes to launch blazer (white screen of pause), and the fact that corporate meeting requests that are scheduled and then changed show up as duplicates on my calendar.

Everyone here uses blackberries -- but I love some of my legacy palm apps.

Best I can tell:

1) Newer palms (755P etc) still have the long freeze times when launching blazer.

2) Battery life is worse on the newer and smaller palms.

3) Duplicate calendar items with exchange server corporate have not been solved.

4) Palm may come out with Linux based units in the future.

I have not been as active on this board as I used to. What device should I go to next? Current 700p is totally beat -- all scratched up and starting to flake out.

Was thinking about a WM5/6 device, but want the exposed keyboard. iPhone is not an option because I had cingular in the past and the coverage when I lived in CA and MA was HORRIBLE.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Glenn

Edit: I also use PDANet with the $15/month Sprint plan on occasion when traveling, and need this feature.
    Last edited by Glenn_Butler; 12/07/2007 at 12:20 AM.
    You sound more bored of it than anything else ... I have one of these and after applying the MR few days ago, I'm pretty happy with it ...

hate the 30 seconds it takes to launch blaze
    Why. it has never been this much even without the MR. But after, it is almost as fast as a sec or less i.e. pretty acceptable. Even the sprint EVDO download speed is just great. Thirty secs is indicative of something wrong with the device or the carrier setup.

Was thinking about a WM5/6 device
    I hear you. I really felt a burning jealousy from the WM folks when I read the WM 6 updates palm released this or last week to the 750. It is true the cost of ownership of a Palm treo is pretty steep compared to a WM counterpart. No doubt. Just look at this list ...

• improved versions of the Mobile Office applications, bringing them closer to their desktop equivalents
    • Ability to set an out-of-office message from the Treo
    • miniSD storage card encryption, password and PIN improvements, and remote data wipe
    • Ability to search for email messages on an Exchange server
    • Meeting request and scheduling conflict improvements.

The full list is here http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...pdate/att.html

You will probably have to pay $100 more on a Palm treo to get something close to the above (if you can in the first place).

Now, why am i not defecting to the other camp ...
    - I have not seen a device that allows me single handed operation like the Treos. This a show stopper for me. This is why I never went with the Tilt or Mogul. Having to slide the KB in/out and having to deal with a million button, orifice, and control in the body of these devices is just too much for me.

- I tried the AT&T 750 (before the update) and I could not believe how slow it was. Even the salesman in the store told up front that this particular device is just a fiasco on Palm's part. I read in one of the round-robin reviews at treo central when one of the WM experts described a Treo palm 755 as being 'fast, fast, fast' as compred to his WM one.

The 700p is serving me well for now. It does what I want just fine. I can not see myself upgrading for the next year. I can not see what else can Palm come up with to convince me of an upgrade. My only concern is that corporate my somehow converge their IT mobile infrastructure which lends itself to MS software more so than palm.
    I've been extraordinarily lucky, I guess. I have NEVER had a long lag when launching Blazer. Maybe 4 seconds max. I've never done an upgrade. I've been using my work Exchange server for over a year and never had a problem with duplicate entries. With a 2600 mAh Seidio, my 700P is almost perfect. I spent a fair amount of time figuring out what worked best, went with Chatter (although VM worked fine with Exchange) because I like the summary page.

My son has an iPhone and hates how slow it is. My office partner has an MS Treo and it is slower and crashes way more than mine, and lacks a lot of programs that I use a lot. My best friend has a BB and the PIM isn't that good and the browser is pathetic. Needless to say, I'm delighted with my 700P. I realize at some point it's going to die and I'll have to replace it. My assumption is that I'll go with a Centro; would go with a 755 if it took the same card as the P, but it doesn't, so the only thing I don't like about the 700P, the size, can be addressed by the Centro. Or hopefully, the 700P will keep going until the new OS comes out. I'm not giving up on Palm at all, although they certainly could have done things very differently in terms of advancing their OS.
    I have long lags and resets when opening Blazer. However, I haven't had the nerve to apply the MR (it's one of the original 700p's with the original OS software.)

I played with a Centro yesterday in a Sprint store, and I liked it, despite the small screen and keyboard. I think when Verizon starts carrying the Centro I'll switch to it. The 755p seems to have the same characteristics as the 700p after the MR, and the reviews are mixed. The Centro seems pretty snappy to me and to many others on this forum.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I have long lags and resets when opening Blazer. However, I haven't had the nerve to apply the MR (it's one of the original 700p's with the original OS software.)

I played with a Centro yesterday in a Sprint store, and I liked it, despite the small screen and keyboard. I think when Verizon starts carrying the Centro I'll switch to it. The 755p seems to have the same characteristics as the 700p after the MR, and the reviews are mixed. The Centro seems pretty snappy to me and to many others on this forum.
    BTW -- I thought the Centro was a low end model. Is there anything that the 700p has that the Centro is lacking?

Is that considered the best Palm OS device on the market now, or is the 755p better?

Glenn
    I think its a DO or DIE scenario.... Convert to something or just wait it out. I decided to bail ship to my blackberry. Yes it lacks applications, yes its in a sense less fun. But for me if you look at the market overall. Ive seen better apps being developed for it than Palm. I.e. Yahoo2Go, Updated Google Maps/apps suite. At least for me I get a phone that doesn't reboot when I get a phone call. Now if you want to get truly crafty... Get another device.. while work gets you a competing device. I was with a company that gave me a blackberry that I enjoyed how stable it was. I converted to a blackberry. Now my new job they're giving me a Treo.... Should be interesting in a role-reversal.....
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler View Post
    BTW -- I thought the Centro was a low end model. Is there anything that the 700p has that the Centro is lacking?

Is that considered the best Palm OS device on the market now, or is the 755p better?

Glenn
    The Centro is being promoted as a low-end device only because they want you to spend more money on a 755. The Centro does pretty much everything a 755 or 700 does, but is smaller and works better. I wouldn't call that a low-end device.
    I think the only difference between the Centro and 700/755 is the size and the Centro is probably more stable, at least in relation to the 700p.
    Oh, I see Dr. Grace said the same thing.