1.    #1  
    Hi all,

A friend of mine is travelling to the US and a Centro is on the shopping list I've given him for stuff to bring back home. I have heard good things about the reception on the Centro, although unless it is truelly exceptional I dont think a service contract with Sprint will do me much good over here in Sweden though.

So where should one go look for a Centro without service contract?

Sprint store? Do they sell them w/o contract?
    Palm store?
    Someplace else? I wouldnt mind it being used as I will only use it for development, as long as everything works.

He will be in NYC, Key West and downtown San Antonio (TX).

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

( Also related items on my list are a 755P and an iPhone if someone happens to know the best way to get these without contract aswell.)
    Last edited by clievideo; 12/06/2007 at 03:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Ebay is your best place without a contract. The only retail storefront that has them is Sprint, or someone selling them 3rd hand. If I am not mistaken, they should be running around the $300US range on ebay though. At this point in time, centros only work on CDMA networks. Make sure you have a network around that will activate a phone that isn't branded for theirs.
    Life is a garden, dig it. -Joe Dirt
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal99 View Post
    The only retail storefront that has them is Sprint, or someone selling them 3rd hand.
    Thanks. So they are not available in any other physical store than Sprints? ( How much are they there without contract? )

Ebay is your best place without a contract.
    Ebay will be only last resort, it will take longer and the customs will have it for a few days plus will add VAT and import taxes.

At this point in time, centros only work on CDMA networks. Make sure you have a network around that will activate a phone that isn't branded for theirs.
    Yeah I know thanks. I already have a bunch of other CDMA devices which cant be used as a phone here in Europe, I use them for development purposes.
  4.    #4  
    So the only retail store that has the Centro is Sprint then? The Palm store doesnt have it?

Moving on to a more important issue then - which color should I get?
  5. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    The Palm Store on 50th St/6th Ave has them. I got one from them without a contract
    What about Craigslist?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by t4l View Post
    The Palm Store on 50th St/6th Ave has them. I got one from them without a contract
    The Sprint store apparently doesnt sell them without contract. Good to know for sure that the Palm store does, thanks.
    The first Sprint store (company store) that I went to would sell me one for $399 without a contract. I think that if a store is turning you down they are wanting to keep the phone to sell with a contract because the individual salesman is wanting to make the commission on the contract.

In this past weekends newspaper ads, Radio Shack says they are selling the Centro in select stores for $449.99 without contract or $99.99 after rebates with.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas