1.    #1  
    I am using I-Tunes for playing regular MP3s (not the restricted m4ps). The ID tags of the MP3's contain the lyrics (I think that is how they work). Is there a way to show those lyrics on the Treo? A program call ptLyrics from Migrsoft requires a seperate file. And now, for the icing on the cake, can I show album artwork on the Treo?

If I could eliminate another device, I would be very happy. How close can we get the Treo to an iPod Nano? Thanks.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    I am using I-Tunes for playing regular MP3s (not the restricted m4ps). The ID tags of the MP3's contain the lyrics (I think that is how they work). Is there a way to show those lyrics on the Treo? A program call ptLyrics from Migrsoft requires a seperate file. And now, for the icing on the cake, can I show album artwork on the Treo?

If I could eliminate another device, I would be very happy. How close can we get the Treo to an iPod Nano? Thanks.

I believe that the ID tag only contains song title information, and most PalmOS mp3 software does display that.
  3.    #3  
    Anyone know where the lyrics are stored? does the iPod even show the lyrics?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    got several nanos in my household - never saw lyrics on ID tags. I don't know if the ID tag allows enough space to store the lyrics, but if it does then whoever encodes it needs to enter it. I'm not sure if record companies have started doing this.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I'm relatively sure that currently NO music files have lyrics attached as metadata. I've been wanting this feature for years-I envision it working sort of like karaoke-the lyrics come up at the correct time in context of the song.

Anyhow....I'm sure it will be commonplace soon, ...just not yet.

-split
  6.    #6  
    Check out this link from a Google search:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2016214_view-lyrics-ipod.html

Seems like lyrics ARE stored with the tag and CAN BE displayed on an iPod. If that is the case, there should be no reason why the Treo can't do the same. Anyone have any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Check out this link from a Google search:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2016214_view-lyrics-ipod.html

Seems like lyrics ARE stored with the tag and CAN BE displayed on an iPod. If that is the case, there should be no reason why the Treo can't do the same. Anyone have any idea?
    That links shows how you can add your own lyrics to be displayed on the Ipod, when playing the song. It isn't clear whether they are put in the actual mp3 file, or are stored in a separate file that the ipod can reference. I've never known anyone who uses this feature. It would be a lot of work.
    uh, yeah, a LOT of work. I still say this will all be automatically done within 5 years.

Until then, I can wait.

-split
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The ID tag is only 128 bytes long, so I think that the lyrics is an iTunes thing.

from

http://mpgedit.org/mpgedit/mpeg_format/mpeghdr.htm
    that webpage is kinda old. ID3v2 has been around for years , and you can store lots of information in it.

I've stored lyrics in a id3v2 tag just for reference, but i don't know what player can show it.

http://www.id3.org/ID3v2Easy
    Last edited by oronzous; 12/05/2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: link added
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    that webpage is kinda old. ID3v2 has been around for years , and you can store lots of information in it.

I've stored lyrics in a id3v2 tag just for reference, but i don't know what player can show it.

http://www.id3.org/ID3v2Easy
    Thanks oronzous. My research was obviously incomplete.