Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting a Centro very soon, and I have already been turned on to the UltimatePhone software. Right now it seems to me that it is well worth the $20 to enhance the "plain jane" Palm OS. I've been going around reading reviews on the software, and while there seem to be a few complaints about the same things, I'm trying to get your opinions.

1) The software being installed directly onto the phone. Is this really such a big deal? I'm intending on investing in a 4gb micro-sd card for the device, so I shouldn't really have that many applications that would be installed directly onto the phone. Is that going to cause a problem?

2) Has the software for you guys ever seemed sluggish while using it? One of the reviews noted how quick and animated that the UltimatePhone interface can be, which seems to be another turn-on for the software. Just curious if anyone has really had any problems with it.

3) I've seen conflicting reviews on the "enhanced SMS". What is really so enhanced about it? I've been toying around with my friend's Centro. I've already found out that it appears when you go into the SMS area, you can't just select a contact from the list to send a message... it seems you have to go to your contacts, go inside the contact you want to send a message to, and then hit send message. Does UltimatePhone make this any easier, or any more difficult? For you avid texters (I will be one of them), what benefits did you gain from UltimatePhone that the standard SMS Messaging did not give you? What are your strong likes, as well as your dislikes?

4) With the entire software in general, what likes / dislikes did you personally have with the UltimatePhone software compared to the standard Palm Phone software?

I think that's it so far. I have a Palm T|X, I really wish I could test the software on there, but when I download the trial it says it can't initiate the dialer, so no test run.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punkrulz View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting a Centro very soon, and I have already been turned on to the UltimatePhone software. Right now it seems to me that it is well worth the $20 to enhance the "plain jane" Palm OS. I've been going around reading reviews on the software, and while there seem to be a few complaints about the same things, I'm trying to get your opinions.

1) The software being installed directly onto the phone. Is this really such a big deal? I'm intending on investing in a 4gb micro-sd card for the device, so I shouldn't really have that many applications that would be installed directly onto the phone. Is that going to cause a problem?
    No.

2) Has the software for you guys ever seemed sluggish while using it? One of the reviews noted how quick and animated that the UltimatePhone interface can be, which seems to be another turn-on for the software. Just curious if anyone has really had any problems with it.
    It's way too much bling, not enough zing. It's all eye candy. And yes, it's pokey.

4) With the entire software in general, what likes / dislikes did you personally have with the UltimatePhone software compared to the standard Palm Phone software?
    It's all pretty and not much functional. In my opinion. Compared to the standard Phone app, it's probably better. Compared to the alternative, TakePhone, it's no comparison in my opinion. Try TakePhone before you buy anything. I think UltimatePhone is just a mess of pretty graphics without much sense of usability or agility in operation.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    It's all pretty and not much functional. In my opinion. Compared to the standard Phone app, it's probably better. Compared to the alternative, TakePhone, it's no comparison in my opinion. Try TakePhone before you buy anything. I think UltimatePhone is just a mess of pretty graphics without much sense of usability or agility in operation.
    Is Talkphone a free program?
    No TakePhone is also $20.
    My only complain is a slight delay (1 second) when you first load it and going between the phone screen and the the application screen.

But other than that, I think it has the best UI for me. Here are my reasons.

I owned many Palm device, starting with the Pilot 1000. I like Palm for its simplicity. I don't want it to behaves like a PC. Many of the launchers I have tried put so many functions in the app that I have no interest in, at the expense of a busy UI.

Having use Ultimate Phone for a month now, I can tell you what I like about it:

1. easy to dial a favorite number while driving
    2. easy to launch sms from the favorite (select pic, hit the mail key)
    3. simple web search launch for popular search engine (google, wikipedia, dictionary, YouTube, etc.)
    4. simple integrated dial screen - type either number or name and the app will figure out what you want
    5. nice and clean interface

I have always been interested in user interface design. To me the best interface is a prefect blend of functionality and simplicity. This perfect blend is personal so what's good for one may be bad for others. And then there is the reality of the human element. I was too looking to pack more functions in my launcher, but it took me a few years to realize that I don't use those functions very often, and that they take up the space better used to present the functions I use all the time.

So, when reviewing a launcher, ask yourself if those features are what you really going to use, or would you actually prefer fewer features but what you really want. Do you want something that works the way you do, or something that forces you to do thing in certain way. How many steps does it take to do the things you do most often?
    Last edited by unclejung; 12/01/2007 at 12:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thanks Jung, very good opinions on your experience with ultimatephone. I appreciate the heads up!
    While I like the look of it, and I think its nice (which I dont mind because its almost 2008, and things should look nice) Some of the functions on there really dont make sense, and then obviously its memory taken up.

Here is what I mean. The file is very large, and if its going to do things, it needs to do them as best as possible. Sure the graphics probably take up lots of memory, but DONT make the features only partial.

For instance.. the neat SMS integration. Ok, you can see the pic of the person, you have nice looking smiles, a neat interface, and totally blows away the look of the built in function, and things like this are nice to have, BUT what about how it handles everything?

If you send a message from it, you GET your message in the default app. If you want to see all of your txt messages, you still have to go to the built in application.

So who wants to go back and forth and back and forth? You have to launch the program, send the txt message, then when one arrives you read it in the regular one. So to save time, why would you even go back to UltimatePhone and create a new one? Doesn't make any sense at all.

IMO, if a company intends to add a function like that, they need to make it an option to REPLACE the built in app, or a way to select it, so you can do EXACTLY what you can with the built in one, but have it be much nicer looking.

I would definitely use it all the time if that was an option, but at the moment it isn't, and its a waste to switch apps just so there is a nice screen and contact face when I send.

This is why something like Suntzus SMS app is much better. Now I know UltimatePhone isn't JUST an app like that, but again, if you integrate it, dont only integrate 50% of the functions.

This is why I still use the built in app for now.

I've made a suggestion before about how it would be nice to press the mail icon on the phone and then go directly to the SMS part in Ultimate, BUT only if it was able to do the exact same thing as the built in one, but only look nicer.

So far that hasn't happened, and hopefully they will add that to a later release. If not, my opinion is to totally get rid of the SMS part of it if you cant receive and view all messages within that part of it. Its only taking up memory and you could cut the file size down.

Anyway, just my thought on one part of the application. They do a great job with the look and feel of their programs by all means, but if you go all out on that end, go all out on the functionality. Pretty programs don't replace HOW they work for the user.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Is Talkphone a free program?
    I also have to recommend TakePhone. It is an outstanding application which I have used for several years. It is very configurable, so keep in mind you may want to tinker with setting to get it exactly the way want. You should be able to test it out on any Palm device. Give it a try the developer is one of the best Palm Developers out there!

www.shsh.com

P.S.

I also recommend 2Day from the same developer. It replaces the Agenda view of the calendar app. They both support skins and wallpaper so your ability to snazz up the Palm interface is all there.

P.S.S.

ALSO, I recommend you test out the beta release versions of both apps, TakePhone and 2Day. 4Cast is another one you should consider.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    For instance.. the neat SMS integration. Ok, you can see the pic of the person, you have nice looking smiles, a neat interface, and totally blows away the look of the built in function, and things like this are nice to have, BUT what about how it handles everything?

If you send a message from it, you GET your message in the default app. If you want to see all of your txt messages, you still have to go to the built in application.

So who wants to go back and forth and back and forth? You have to launch the program, send the txt message, then when one arrives you read it in the regular one. So to save time, why would you even go back to UltimatePhone and create a new one? Doesn't make any sense at all.

IMO, if a company intends to add a function like that, they need to make it an option to REPLACE the built in app, or a way to select it, so you can do EXACTLY what you can with the built in one, but have it be much nicer looking.

I would definitely use it all the time if that was an option, but at the moment it isn't, and its a waste to switch apps just so there is a nice screen and contact face when I send.

This is why something like Suntzus SMS app is much better. Now I know UltimatePhone isn't JUST an app like that, but again, if you integrate it, dont only integrate 50% of the functions.

This is why I still use the built in app for now.
    Ok, I am definitely going to take a look at Suntzu's SMS app. Can you give me the lowdown on what you think of that application, how it works? Cost? Features / benefits? I whole heartedly agree, it would be pointless to swap back and forth between applications... I hope UltimatePhone integrates that into the application in the future!

Jhetzel,

I will definitely take a look into your recommendations as well.
    I like u.p. Makes my phone look pretty. I tried takephone, I really like it a lot, actually, but I don't need all of the advanced features and it isn't as nice looking. For my needs, u.p. is better (I use 2day and 4cast by the same developer as takephone and love them both). It would be great if the u.p. ui could replace all of the built in apps, but that's not the case at the moment. The built-in text messaging app is pretty good, in my estimation. I tried out Suntzu's and it caused crash after crash and did nothing for me. IMO, the built-in app is much better looking than Suntzu's.

Are you suggesting that UltimatePhone should add their own version of threaded SMS to their phone app? or perhaps just a simple SMS?

I would think that the dial screen would get pretty crowded if they add a place for SMS messages. I would rather use Palm's threaded SMS app for sending SMS. The way I see it, their implementation let me launch Palm's SMS app to send my message. I don't see the reason to have another SMS app. On such a small screen, there's hardly enough room for one app, let alone two. I prefer a separate screen for dialing and for SMS. Assuming one screen for dialing and another for SMS, it doesn't make that much of a different if UltimatePhone has their own SMS or it launch Palm SMS as one can switch back and forth for the same amount of effort (pushing hard button versus selecting from a menu)

Or perhaps you are thinking of tighter integration of SMS and contact in which user can select a contact, launch SMS, and have an exclusive SMS conversation with that contact only, unlike Palm SMS where all messages are listed?

Anyhow, I find the current implementation useful for me. I can start at the phone app screen and decide whether I want to call or SMS a person. To call, I hit the center button. To SMS I hit the email button. I find that simpler than having to decide ahead of time what action I want to do (call or SMS) and depending on the action have a different path for selecting the contact. Once I am done, I could wait for a reply and reply directly from the threaded SMS app which is excelent. Or I could go back to the phone screen (mapped to the phone button) and contact another person.
    What I am thinking is just making it more useful in the fact that when you get an SMS it will come in on your default palm app that is built in. So lets say I want to send a txt to Joe.

If I go to Ultimate, and find him, i'll have a nice screen with his picture on it, can send him a txt, and its all good.

BUT...what happens when he responds back? I will get the message in the default inbox of the palm app. Then when I respond back, why would I go back to Ultimate, find the name again, and then txt him when I am right there with his message already in the standard app?

So my thought is to make it so you can default to send and receive from Ultimate phone, and view all of your messages, and have it just like the palm built in app, but a little nicer looking.

I mean its great if you are already in UltimatePhone, but if you are texting a few messages back and forth, after the first txt, it becomes pointless to have.

So I am suggesting to make it a default over the built-in app, BUT have it do the same thing, and be able to retain all messages and view them. As of now you cant do this.

In fact it is quicker to launch the built in app anyway, find the contact by typing a letter, and then go at it. Then once you get your txt, the built in app already pops up, you hit respond and txt. So again, why would you hit the phone button, wait for Ultimate to load, find the contact, then txt the contact? It would be different if Ultimate could pop up as default and then you could respond. But again, i'd like to see all my messages as well.

The built in app is 421K in file size, and I figure the SMS part of Ultimate is prob taking up a good amount because it is nicer looking than the Palm built in app, so I would be more than happy even if it meant another 200K to make it identical to how the built in one was, but nicer looking.

But again, if you are going to implement all of the pretty stuff at 100%, make its functionality 100%. I can see how it makes sense to txt if you are already IN the app, but what happens when you get a txt back? Its going to go straight to the built in app, so that's my point.

As far as Suntzus app, I have not used it, but I have heard of people who like it. SOME say it does crash their phone, but that's why you can test it. I am not sure as of the newest release. You'll just have to try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I like u.p. Makes my phone look pretty. I tried takephone, I really like it a lot, actually, but I don't need all of the advanced features and it isn't as nice looking. For my needs, u.p. is better (I use 2day and 4cast by the same developer as takephone and love them both). It would be great if the u.p. ui could replace all of the built in apps, but that's not the case at the moment. The built-in text messaging app is pretty good, in my estimation. I tried out Suntzu's and it caused crash after crash and did nothing for me. IMO, the built-in app is much better looking than Suntzu's.
    When is the last time you used TakePhone?

Linking to image in http://shsh.com/beta

http://www.shsh.com/beta/tp_all_banner.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    What I am thinking is just making it more useful in the fact that when you get an SMS it will come in on your default palm app that is built in. So lets say I want to send a txt to Joe.

If I go to Ultimate, and find him, i'll have a nice screen with his picture on it, can send him a txt, and its all good.

BUT...what happens when he responds back? I will get the message in the default inbox of the palm app. Then when I respond back, why would I go back to Ultimate, find the name again, and then txt him when I am right there with his message already in the standard app?

So my thought is to make it so you can default to send and receive from Ultimate phone, and view all of your messages, and have it just like the palm built in app, but a little nicer looking.
    Yes, I agree. There is no reason to go back to UltimatePhone once you receive the text. It's simpler to response right within the built in messaging app, and that's how I do it. However when I am already in the UltimatePhone app, it's more convenient for me to select the contact and hit the mail button to send an SMS. I would find UltimatePhone lacking if it didn't implement this feature.

As for UltimatePhone to add more integrated SMS support, I guess they could bring up a small text box for entering the message like Blazer when you enter a long URL. But then you would miss out on the threaded SMS functionality the built in app provides.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Fortunately with my T|X I was able to try out the latest version of TalkPhone, and I have to say I was impressed. It's a shame that I can't try out UP and see how that is, but right now I think that when I get the Centro, I will definitely be utilizing TalkPhone.

I noted one thing though:

On my T|X with TalkPhone enabled, navigating to some of my program screens for the first time seemed to be laggy. Are there any programs that are like the task manager for Windows, where I can bring up the app, see how much memory my T|X has, and what memory is being used by Apps / How much?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    When is the last time you used TakePhone?

Linking to image in http://shsh.com/beta

http://www.shsh.com/beta/tp_all_banner.jpg
    A few weeks ago. Have you seen ultimate phone? I didn't say Takephone isn't nice looking. I said its not AS nice looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    A few weeks ago. Have you seen ultimate phone? I didn't say Takephone isn't nice looking. I said its not AS nice looking.
    Yes, I have, and I think TakePhone looks just as good and is actually functional.