Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    So I will have my 755p for 4 months tomorrow.

I have not installed much (flightstatus and google maps) in order to use the phone as it came and figure out what my real needs are. My questions are these:

1) NV BacKup vs. Resco Backup

I have been searching for several days on the forum to find a definitive list of advantages of one over the other (or even just a basic comparison), and either my searching skills suck or there is no such animal to be found. I did download NVBackup 1.21 this morning, but have yet to install it due to the release notes saying it is only confirmed for the 650 and has been tested for the 700. I believe my searching has revealed it works on the 755, but need to confirm... so:

Does NV Backup work on the 755p?
    Is there a reason to choose RescoBackup over NVBackup (ignoring the fact that NVBackup is free)?

2) Removing pre-installed applications.

Two perfect examples here: Docs to Go and Goggle Maps. DTG is v8 in the preinstall and google maps has since been updated. Will something like Filez allow me to remove the pre-installed in ROM apps? or am I stuck with them taking up space?

3) Installing in Ram vs. on MiniSD Card

I have a Kingston 4GB SDHC card coming and I am struggling to understand if there si a rule of thumb for deciding when to install on a card vs. in RAM. Can anyone offer guidance? (Like, "These types of apps should go in RAM, everything else should go on a card.")

OK. that'll do for now. Sorry if they are total noob questions.

-Randy
    NV Backup works perfectly on my 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    NV Backup works perfectly on my 755p.
    Me too. Used it through three 755s and one purposely done hard reset. Never had to re-install any registration numbers or anything. Best program for backup I've found.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiatt View Post
    2) Removing pre-installed applications.

Two perfect examples here: Docs to Go and Goggle Maps. DTG is v8 in the preinstall and google maps has since been updated. Will something like Filez allow me to remove the pre-installed in ROM apps? or am I stuck with them taking up space?

3) Installing in Ram vs. on MiniSD Card

I have a Kingston 4GB SDHC card coming and I am struggling to understand if there si a rule of thumb for deciding when to install on a card vs. in RAM. Can anyone offer guidance? (Like, "These types of apps should go in RAM, everything else should go on a card.")

OK. that'll do for now. Sorry if they are total noob questions.

-Randy
    2. Until somebody comes up with a method of modifying the ROM, you are stuck with them. However, if you can of course set their category as "unfiled" and therefore not see them when your launcher has other categories selected.

3. My take is that it is mainly just a case of conserving device memory.
    I don't think you can remove them either. There is a nice Freeware app that will hide them for you though. Here is the shortcut for it:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/att...0&d=1181028277

It will show up in the Prefs App as "Applications." You just open it and click on the ones you want to be invisible. It was great for my daughter's Centro. I quickly installed this app and made all the ROM apps that would cost me extra money, invisible.

Anyway, doesn't help you free up any memory (RAM or ROM), but it does clean up your apps space.

Sti
    I've been a happy user of Resco Backup since my early days with a 650. One month into my 755, Resco is still keeping me happy!

Aside from a custom ROM, I believe that things are "stuck" there but, I'm not sure that it really matters much. Google Maps and Docs to Go both update to newer versions just fine.

With the vast (compared to the 650) memory of the 755, I've been able to install apps directly to the 755's memory and use the expansion card for media (as well as a way to backup my 755).

BTW, great questions. I honestly have not found a better source for learning about Treo's than reading the posts at this forum.
    Brian
    Will it be worth sticking to HP Web OS? I hope so but need to see the right hardware and software.
    There are three places apps can reside on your phone: ROM, RAM and SD

The in ROM apps, like Google Maps and Docs to Go don't take up any space in RAM or SD. You can't remove them, or modify them (at least until an official rom update comes out). That said, installing a newer version of an application in rom will simply "overwrite" the old version. (The files will still exist in ROM, but the launcher will only show you the new version)

As for installing to RAM or SD - My theory is that as long as you have plenty of remaining space, installing to RAM is best. Otherwise, if you are starved for space in RAM, move rarely used applications to SD first, and remember that not all apps can run off of an SD.
    On the backup hand, I would definitely go with Resco. Resco's been good for me.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I've been using NVbackup 1.18 with great success on my 755p - I just noticed in this thread that there is a version 1.21 - is it recommended to uninstall the previous version or do you install 1.21 right over 1.18
    As far as I remember you can install right over the previous version. Check the read me file that comes with 1.21 to be sure.
    yeah i read the readme - nothing in there about that - i suppose the safest way is to do an uninstall - i hope v1.21 is as trouble free on my 755p as v1.18
    Where is anyone finding version 1.21? I can't find it anywhere. What's better about it? 1.18 seems to work perfectly. Thanks.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    @RickMG:

I found the 1.21 at what appears to be the official page (@sourceforge)

http://handypalmstuff.sourceforge.net/
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Thanks for all of the replies.

I was hoping that someone had specific experience with both NVBackup and Resco Backup and could recommend one over the other and specifically why.

The fact that NVBackup is free gives it bonus points, but I have no big issue with spending money on Resco if there is a worthwhile difference.

(As you can maybe infer from my post here, I have been unable to find such worthwhile difference, so maybe I have answered my own question?)
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    in regards to program on handheld versus program on card, i believe, and i may be completely wrong, that the biggest difference you will find is that programs on your card need to be loaded/saved on demand, versus those on your handheld sitting on the other side of the button waiting for you to want them, thus making multitasking a true task (kinda like calling up a picture that is on your card versus one on your handheld), and causing extremely long sentences like this one to occur.