Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I'll try that out. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by shsmith View Post
    I bought USB Modem, and it works well, but after I set that up I realized you can use the Centro as a BT modem without any add-on software. The modem settings in XP for USB Modem work perfectly for the built-in BT modem capability and the speed is about the same, but without the wire and without the need to run anything on the Centro side. So if you have BT working in linux you should be able to make it work.
    Are you saying that the Centro without USB modem would be able to tether to a pc using BT?

I assume you are using Bluetooth Dial Up Networking.
    Last edited by miles4000; 11/24/2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I bought USB Modem, and it works well, but after I set that up I realized you can use the Centro as a BT modem without any add-on software. The modem settings in XP for USB Modem work perfectly for the built-in BT modem capability and the speed is about the same, but without the wire and without the need to run anything on the Centro side. So if you have BT working in linux you should be able to make it work.

BTW I have an AT&T locked centro with a GOPHONE SIM card and pay $20/month for the "medianet unlimited" package. This lets me browse the web and get email from the phone and use the phone as a modem for my laptop when I travel. Just about everything works, and no special "proxy" is required.
    shsmith - great! i've been experimenting with bluetooth but can't quite make the connections. can you write up the steps you took to get it done?
    hi,
    I'll try that out. Thanks.

sfhub It works that way for your plan, but it doesn't work that way for everyone.
    shsmith - great! i've been experimenting with bluetooth but can't quite make the connections. can you write up the steps you took to get it done?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

BTW I have an AT&T locked centro with a GOPHONE SIM card and pay $20/month for the "medianet unlimited" package. This lets me browse the web and get email from the phone and use the phone as a modem for my laptop when I travel. Just about everything works, and no special "proxy" is required.
    I'm still trying to get this process to work on my Verizon Centro. I can tether with wire to PC but would sure prefer to use BT. can someone comment further? Put up step by steps tutorial/FAQ please?
    I'd love to get this working over bluetooth on my Thinkpad with XP. USBModem works like a champ in wired mode, but it would be great to be able to do it via Bluetooth.

Any links or instructions to get this working?

Thanks!
    D
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Just get PDANet.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwan View Post
    I'd love to get this working over bluetooth on my Thinkpad with XP. USBModem works like a champ in wired mode, but it would be great to be able to do it via Bluetooth.

Any links or instructions to get this working?
    Instructions come with USBModem. BT works fine assuming your BT stack on the PC is stable.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12