Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am not a happy camper about right now. I went shopping and went to check my emails and BAM, there it was....cracked screen!

I carry mines on a lanyard and it may have hit a hard surface, but I NEVER broke a screen on my 650 or my 600.

Good thing is that I have insurance.

Bad thing is that the touch screen does not work at the bottom part of the screen.

Funny thing is I keep checking it like it didn't really happen and it will mysteriously be unbroken again.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    That happen to my old 700p, so I know the feeling.

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Sorry for your loss - glad you have insurance. I had a bad feeling about using a lanyard.
    I kind of saw this coming.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by meir602 View Post
    I had a bad feeling about using a lanyard. I kind of saw this coming.
    I had those thoughts too.... after I saw the screen. -LOL

Seriously, I used to carry the 650 on a lanyard (although thicker), this never happened.

I will probably get a plastic screen guard next time and take my chances again. I like the easy access of a lanyard.

I read another thread of a guy who dropped his and cracked the screen, so we will see if this model is just not as tough as other Treo's, or it hit a soft spot or something uncommon just happened. I used to drop my 650 from time to time and although the casing got a lil worn, it was like a Timex watch.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I dropped mine from my belt case this afternoon. No cratch or damage.
    sorry to hear that mel. but that's why we lovvvvve insurance good luck fixing it!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    sorry to hear that mel. but that's why we lovvvvve insurance good luck fixing it!
    Thanks Chelly,

Yes, insurance is a must. I should be getting my new replacement next week.

8. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Oh man that sucks!!! I wonder if you can find a pouch that you can connect to the lanyard and then you have it in the pouch protected and still around your neck...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Oh man that sucks!!! I wonder if you can find a pouch that you can connect to the lanyard and then you have it in the pouch protected and still around your neck...
    Yeah, looking at it is like a looking at a nightmare movie. -LOL

That's an idea. I did have a slip pouch for my digi camera that I could use to house the centro in, if I don't go with the rubber case and screen protector.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    How well is the insurance for Sprint if you break your phone and need a replacement? My friend is with Verizon, and he had to replace his cell phone twice within a year. Unfortunately he uses it during work so the phone has an easier chance of breaking. He told me the other day it broke a third time, and unfortunately the insurance company dropped him after the 2nd time he had to replace the phone.

Is Sprint's insurance company that bad? Or are they better off?
    I believe they use the same insurance company.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Has anyone else ever had problems with getting dropped from the company before? Sounds just like certain car insurance companies...
    My friend just got dropped from Tmobile insurance after third claim.
    I heard from a friend of a friend that two in 2 years is the limit. Sounds the same as the post above. Going by that it sounds like if you signed a new 2 year contract that it could get reinstated. I'd hope so since they'd want your money at some point. I don't see how it can be two in a lifetime!
    Odd. My screen broke yesterday while Christmas shopping. Same thing, went to check the phone and BOOM cracked screen! I was so upset. The bottom part of my touch screen stopped working as well. THANK GOD for insurance! I took it to a Sprint service and repair center, they looked at it for an hour, I came back and they gave me a brand new Centro. I thought they would have to order one and I would be subjected to an eye sore for a few days but I walked right out with a brand new phone, battery and all I actually couldnt believe how easy it was..

It still worries me that I have NO idea how the screen cracked.
    I'm a Pre gal now
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    Odd. My screen broke yesterday while Christmas shopping. Same thing, went to check the phone and BOOM cracked screen! I was so upset. The bottom part of my touch screen stopped working as well. THANK GOD for insurance! I took it to a Sprint service and repair center, they looked at it for an hour, I came back and they gave me a brand new Centro. I thought they would have to order one and I would be subjected to an eye sore for a few days but I walked right out with a brand new phone, battery and all I actually couldnt believe how easy it was..

It still worries me that I have NO idea how the screen cracked.
    That's great news that they swapped it out like that. Yes, having insurance is a real life saver. I am more paranoid now about the screen though, since I've had a claim already on the Centro.

Actually, I'm waiting for a case with the clear lift up plastic lcd cover. I don't prefer hard plastic cases, but I don't want to break another screen either.

It didn't occur to me as a plausable idea to actually take mines in to a Sprint store when my screen broke because I assumed they would tell me to call Sprint for the replacement.

You might not be able to take it to any store, I think some have within the thirty day window but to have the best service they need to be listed on the Sprint web site that they are a Sprint service and repair center. I went to one for my Nextel and they gave me a new phone with an extended battery! That might not be a big deal to most people but my phone has been discontinued for at least a couple of years. I only had repair coverage but they weren't able to repair it of course.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Maybe the Cruise Line has a sprint Kiosk...Ahhh One Can Dream The Thought...
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Hey nixed, the same thing happened to my wife's centro. Cracked the screen within 10 days of buying it, was feeling screwed. I had the Sprint replacement plan and was afraid that we would have to shell out $50 to replace it. But I went to the Sprint store (an official "repair" one that I found on sprint.com) and they said that they would repair it! Because I had the replacement plan, the repair was free. I just went in there, showed them the phone, waited for about 45 minutes, then they brought out the phone with a brand new screen, good as new, no charge.
    Hope that helps!
    Wow, having screens available tells me they're expecting an issue? Its great that they were able to fix it while you wait, are you sure they didn't just transfer the data to a new phone? Forty-five minutes does sound like a long time to wait for a phone swap though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast