Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Google Maps with My Location

Has anyone got this beta application to work which is supposed to use cell tower triangulation to find your location? I can't install the 2.0 version to my Treo 700p. Every time I try to reinstall it I still get the 1.2.0.9 version. I only tried the download direct to my phone from their website, since I'm not near my PC with hotsync. Maybe it's a bad link?
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    This looks like an extremely cool feature. When they came out with "where am i" I was really hoping that would work without a gps. Now they've improved it.

But just like you, I'm still getting 1.2.0.9. I don't see that feature on it.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Same here - still getting 1.2.0.9 both over the air, and via hotsync when downloaded from the desktop gmm site. Either they forgot to update the prc file, or they didn't make a palmos version of 2.0 and forgot to mention that. :/
    I'm not sure why you think it should work as it does not list Palm as compatible OS. "The My Location feature is available for most web-enabled mobile phones, including Java, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, and Nokia/Symbian devices."
    I had the same problem. think it is because I don't have JAVA installed.

Reading the documentation, I believe JAVA is required for the 'where am I' feature. Apparantly it checks before the install and installs only the correct version???

Treoneo just beat me to it!
    RJuhl
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    I'm not sure why you think it should work as it does not list Palm as compatible OS. "The My Location feature is available for most web-enabled mobile phones, including Java, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, and Nokia/Symbian devices."
    If you go to the website (maps.google.com/gmm) via your phone it states "Download Google Maps (version 2.0.0) on your Palm Treo 700p". That is not an accurate statement since it gives you the 1.2.0.9 version.

And it doesn't say "only" those phones, it says "most web-enabled phones INCLUDING...". I think they're being forward-looking optimistic there. I'm hoping that it will happen in the near future.
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    So we're suppose to install JAVA first? If so how can we get JAVA?
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theyams View Post
    If you go to the website (maps.google.com/gmm) via your phone it states "Download Google Maps (version 2.0.0) on your Palm Treo 700p". That is not an accurate statement since it gives you the 1.2.0.9 version.
    Yes when you're downloading it says 2.0.0. Maybe the link is messed up and they need to fix it.
    Chances are most likely that the "Download 2.0.0" is incorrect and 1.2.0.9 is all we will get on PalmOS. Just seems like a bunch of wishful thinking to think that the My Location will work on a PalmOS Treo when it isn't listed on the supported site:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...71&topic=12595
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    I had the same problem. think it is because I don't have JAVA installed.

Reading the documentation, I believe JAVA is required for the 'where am I' feature. Apparantly it checks before the install and installs only the correct version???

Treoneo just beat me to it!
    Hmm, I don't think so because I do have a version of java (J9 Java VM 2.2.14) installed on my 700p. I think they just goofed when they set up the download for palm OS.
    No goof, the MyLocation feature is not (yet?) available on Palm OS models. Getting the cell ID happens to be something that developers have had issue with in Palm OS models. There are some hooks into the OS that are not shared by Palm if my understanding is correct.

I downloaded 2.0 today and the only update for the PalmOS side of things is the smaller data usage (mimicing what is found on the Centro's version of GM).

I hope the MyLocation feature comes. But if it doesn't, this would be a sure sign that the Garnet OS is a bit tough to develop "nice" things for.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    It's not compatible with POS whether you install Java or not. Sorry.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Does this work with a 700WX?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Not according ti this article.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22010667/
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I have 700p and if you look a little deeper into the FAQ section of Google Maps, you will see the Palm phones are not a supported device. See link here:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...71&topic=12595

Or just see the excerpt below:

Is My Location (beta) available for my device?

At this time, My Location (beta) is available for these devices:

BlackBerry devices
    Some recent Motorola devices
    Some recent Sony Ericsson devices
    Many Windows Mobile devices
    Nokia Series 60 3rd Edition devices

If you have a Java-enabled (J2ME) device, BlackBerry or Windows Mobile device, you can easily check whether or not My Location (beta) is available. Just to go "Help" > "About" from the application. If the box contains "myl: N/A," it means your device isn't reporting a cell.

Wishfull thinking! Man, I love Google Maps on my 700p. My location sure would be a welcomed feature. Maybe someday....
    Found this on this site. http://groups.google.com/group/Googl...9b2feb494313d5
    ----------------------------
    Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:48:28 -0800 (PST)
    Local: Wed, Nov 28 2007 3:48 pm
    Subject: Re: Google Maps 2.0 with My Location (beta)!

Hi folks,

GMM 2.0 with My Location (beta) features works with the following:

* BlackBerry devices
    * Some recent Motorola devices
    * Some recent Sony Ericsson devices
    * Many Windows Mobile devices
    * Nokia Series 60 3rd Edition devices

At this time, it is not available for Palm Treo devices or the Apple
    iPhone.

Thanks,
    Mobile Guide
    -------------------------
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    that sucks that it's not available for palm treo yet? Hopefully soon in a couple hours? Or maybe in a couple days? Hopefully not weeks or months.
    FYI:

"Google's service isn't as precise as GPS. In most instances, Google hopes to get within one-quarter to three miles of a user's location close enough to provide helpful "neighborhood-level" information"
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    No goof, the MyLocation feature is not (yet?) available on Palm OS models. Getting the cell ID happens to be something that developers have had issue with in Palm OS models. There are some hooks into the OS that are not shared by Palm if my understanding is correct.

I hope the MyLocation feature comes. But if it doesn't, this would be a sure sign that the Garnet OS is a bit tough to develop "nice" things for.
    It would be nice if they would at least come up with an update that would work with a palm compatible GPS receiver. Seems like that should be pretty straight forward. The Where am I add-on is useful but not like having the location integrated with Google maps.
    Suspect we'll never see this for PalmOS based Treo's, for the same reason that was discovered by GreenHex when developing TreoSpot. The only way to get cell tower info is to drop the GPRS connection whilst you query the phone with AT commands (if I remember correctly). We all know that Java support doesn't exist on the PalmOS, and if you think it does you obviously haven't ever tried to use it, so I can't see Google converting their Java code just for us.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast