1.    #1  
    Anyone have luck installing Google Maps 2.0 on their Centro? The web page allows you to download the 2.0 prc file, but after running the self-installer, my phone opens the 1.2 version that is in ROM.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Yep. On web it said version 2.0 but downloaded about says 1.209.

Sometimes developers forget to change the code in the about. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Anyone have luck installing Google Maps 2.0 on their Centro? The web page allows you to download the 2.0 prc file, but after running the self-installer, my phone opens the 1.2 version that is in ROM.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by estroh View Post
    Yep. On web it said version 2.0 but downloaded about says 1.209.

Sometimes developers forget to change the code in the about. Or not.
    There's no difference in the this download so I don't think we are actually getting the new 2.0 version. I don't think it's compatible with POS. It's not listed in the compatible device list. It's very misleading.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    I remember from another thread that 2.0 may have been for WM.
  5. wzl
    It downloads, installs, but since the Centro comes with Gmaps on the ROM, the ROM version is being run.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I don't think so. 1.209 is not the version in ROM on the 755P but it is the version that runs when opened. There was an update not long after the 755P/680's were released. Same thing with PTunes. This version just isn't POS compatible.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    wzl, I recalled reading from the Centro manual that app in RAM take precedent over app in ROM with the same name when launching.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I haven't tried to get 2.0 on my 700p, but I've heard the Palm platform does not allow developers to access the information of location by cell towers (Windows Mobile devices do I believe). You need a GPS (satellites), which no Palm devices have internal. So if the only thing you are excited about is the location feature in 2.0, your out of luck.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I haven't tried to get 2.0 on my 700p, but I've heard the Palm platform does not allow developers to access the information of location by cell towers (Windows Mobile devices do I believe). You need a GPS (satellites), which no Palm devices have internal. So if the only thing you are excited about is the location feature in 2.0, your out of luck.
    With my Treo 755p I can select "Location ON" in the phone preferences. The help file informs that with this feature enabled the location of the phone can be determined by the Sprint network. So I guess in principle it should work, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    The MyLocation feature uses the cell ID. This is something that all phones have regardless of GPS being there or not.

With the Palm OS, getting the cell ID is actually a bit hard. There has only been one developer that I have seen to be able to get it, and even then its a bit buggy. If Google gets with the maker of TreoSpot, then the MyLocation feature is something that Palm OS users could use.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Actually it can't be that hard. Through Blazer at this point it can be done. On Sprint, using the My Location under the Sprint Web Page, it can actually do this. Google Maps should be able to do this in the same way - at least I hope it can.
    Quote Originally Posted by cue79 View Post
    Actually it can't be that hard. Through Blazer at this point it can be done. On Sprint, using the My Location under the Sprint Web Page, it can actually do this. Google Maps should be able to do this in the same way - at least I hope it can.
    Sprint and Palm shared code, that's part of the reason why this is possible. To access the cellID, Google would either have to hack a means to do it, or get permission from Palm to pull it in each of the Treo devices (my guess is that all store it a bit differently). Its not as much that it is impossible, just harder.

Personally, I want it; and I want my address book to have the ability to use that cellID notification too (but that's just way off topic here )
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The MyLocation feature uses the cell ID. This is something that all phones have regardless of GPS being there or not.

With the Palm OS, getting the cell ID is actually a bit hard. There has only been one developer that I have seen to be able to get it, and even then its a bit buggy. If Google gets with the maker of TreoSpot, then the MyLocation feature is something that Palm OS users could use.
    I know it's there. It's about being able to access the information. I have no idea if it's possible or not. I'm not a developer and I haven't really tried any programs that do this, just what I've read in the forums. I could be totally wrong, but since it doesn't work I'm guessing there is a reason why.

And when I said you need a GPS, I meant because the the cell tower triangulation info isn't accessible. The way I wrote it may have been confusing.
    Last edited by dave75; 11/28/2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Last sentence