Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    The Centro appears to be a bit to fragile for the weather up in these here parts of the country (OR, WA). I commute to work via bike (30 mile round trip) and carry my phone in a water resistant backpack (meaning I can't throw it in a lake and expect contents to stay dry). Last evening a rain/sleet storm broke loose in the middle of my commute home. Arriving home, there was some moisture in the bag, but nothing was soaked, clothes were dry, some moisture got in through the zipper.
    I noticed the phone's LED was on (red) and turning it on the battery charger icon was on, I guess the phone was falsely detecting the charger. Trying to use the phone, the scroll button was not working up and down, only side to side. Crap! phone failure. There was some condensation on the screen (it was in a Body Glove case) but no drops of water could be seen.
    Brought it into the Sprint service center this morning and they tore it open and found some corrosion due to "water damage". Corrosion after less then 13 hours after the fact? and this happened almost immediately. Luckily they were for the most part able to get it cleaned up and functioning with still some reluctance to the down scroll control. They said their warranty wouldn't cover this (I've had it for < 2 weeks) because it was a "customer imposed" water damage condition. Fair enough, but I had my i500 for > 3 years and carried it in the exact same manner and never had such a problem.
    Does anyone carry a completely water proof case for this unit? I'm afraid one is necessary, or carry the darn thing around in a plastic ziplock, how cool is that?
    ~m
    I walk to work every day in Seattle with my Centro in my front pants pocket. When the weather gets really nasty, I put it into the front zippered pocket of my REI rain jacket. Never had a problem.

A ziplock's probably your best bet if you insist on letting it float around in a non-waterproof pack for a 30-mile ride.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks Twitch!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    I walk to work every day in Seattle with my Centro in my front pants pocket. When the weather gets really nasty, I put it into the front zippered pocket of my REI rain jacket. Never had a problem.

A ziplock's probably your best bet if you insist on letting it float around in a non-waterproof pack for a 30-mile ride.
    Interesting choice of words, but I'm not exactly letting it "float around in a non-waterproof pack" but now that I'm aware of how vulnerable this phone is, I'm definitely going to take better measures to protect it.