Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A longtime palm user, I just upgraded to a Centro and bought a Freedom GPS receiver. I was hoping to use it for both map and golf duties. Any help to get started with which maps to download and how to get started with GPS would be greatly appreciated.
    Oh I was just about to start a thread about this exact same topic because I just ordered one too! Can anyone please help us? I really hope this is a good purchase, because I'm reading about all these good standalone units; I hope I made the right choice with this little keychain. I think it's a great concept and I hope it works well. I can't wait to learn about all its capabilities! Fill us in please! I was hoping to give one as a xmas gift to my bf too so I want to learn as much about it as possible.

btw, where did you buy yours, terrys?
    I'm thinking of getting one too! Wondering if it would work with a bluetooth headset or can we only use one bt device at a time? I also would like to know what this could do for my Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBiz View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one too! Wondering if it would work with a bluetooth headset or can we only use one bt device at a time? I also would like to know what this could do for my Centro.

The GPS receiver gets you the hardware necessary to pickup the GPS signals. The software you get next is 99% of the solution.

There are some free palm GPS programs out there but they all basically are just something to tinker with.

Delorme Street Atlas has a palm app that works OK for basic mapping.

TomTom and Garmin have some good software packages depending on your needs / desires.

BTW - you can get a Holux M1200 keychain GPS receiver for about half of the cost of the Freedom that does the exact same thing.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
  5.    #5  
    Michelle: I bought mine here at Treo Central. Of course, now they have a 10 percent off coupon, "cybermonday".

Fulltlt: Thanks for the tips, I wasn't aware of the Holux. The treo central description said the Freedom was compatable with several cheap/free maps: "The AA, Active Pilot, BlackBerry Maps, CoPilot Live 6, Destinator 6, Gate 5, Google Maps, Mapquest, Memory Map, Navigation Mobile, Navman, Nokia/Smart2Go, Navicor, Route 66, Spot, Telenav, Wayfinder". Can you reccomend any of these?
    Quote Originally Posted by terrys View Post
    Michelle: I bought mine here at Treo Central. Of course, now they have a 10 percent off coupon, "cybermonday".

Fulltlt: Thanks for the tips, I wasn't aware of the Holux. The treo central description said the Freedom was compatable with several cheap/free maps: "The AA, Active Pilot, BlackBerry Maps, CoPilot Live 6, Destinator 6, Gate 5, Google Maps, Mapquest, Memory Map, Navigation Mobile, Navman, Nokia/Smart2Go, Navicor, Route 66, Spot, Telenav, Wayfinder". Can you reccomend any of these?

Good luck on getting any of those to work in any meaningful way.
    Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    Good luck on getting any of those to work in any meaningful way.
    I'm not sure if this was meant as a general GPS comment, or the "golf duties" GPS comment, so thought I should comment...I am using TeleNav and the Freedom receiver with no issues. I get verbal directions from start to end.

However, I'm not sure what to tell you about golf maps. I think there are ways to create your own maps but I've never tried and I think it's pretty involved. There is also the possibility some have been made already but I don't know any resources to give you for that. Maybe start reading GPS forums and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I'm not sure if this was meant as a general GPS comment, or the "golf duties" GPS comment, so thought I should comment...I am using TeleNav and the Freedom receiver with no issues. I get verbal directions from start to end.

However, I'm not sure what to tell you about golf maps. I think there are ways to create your own maps but I've never tried and I think it's pretty involved. There is also the possibility some have been made already but I don't know any resources to give you for that. Maybe start reading GPS forums and go from there.

How much does it cost? Which Treo are you using?
    Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post

Thank you for sharing, French.
    I am subscribing to TeleNav and it's $10/month. But their maps are updated quarterly (I believe I saw that posted on their site) and their POIs are updated constantly, too. In one situation it did route me a long way but I didn't mind since it was a beautiful country drive when the leaves were changing.
    How do you like TeleNav and is it worth the $10/month as opposed to a free app like Google Maps/Where Am I?
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    How do you like TeleNav and is it worth the $10/month as opposed to a free app like Google Maps/Where Am I?

Google maps / where am I is something to tinker with. It can show you where you are at on a google map one time staticly and that's it.

Paid apps like Telenav can give you routing directions and a real time updated moving map of where you are at..
    Sprint
    thank you, fulltlt. can anyone please share a link to find out more about purchasing telenav for our centro?
    thank you, fulltlt. can anyone please share a link to find out more about purchasing telenav for our centro?
    http://www.telenav.com/

They don't list the Centro as a supported device but it probably is.
    Last edited by fulltlt; 11/26/2007 at 07:33 PM.
    Sprint
    Centro is definitely supported as that is what I'm using it with.
    ok guys, i got the freedom keychain. now...how do i use it?!
    ok guys, i got the freedom keychain. now...how do i use it?!

Software is 99% of the solution.
    Sprint
    The specs state that it is compatible with Google Maps and Where Am I. I have those latest apps installed on my Centro. I have also paired the device with it. When I try to get my coordinates in Where Am I, I get a time out error and the prompt states that it cannot open the serial connection.
    The specs state that it is compatible with Google Maps and Where Am I. I have those latest apps installed on my Centro. I have also paired the device with it. When I try to get my coordinates in Where Am I, I get a time out error and the prompt states that it cannot open the serial connection.

Get a free app called GPStester from:

http://www.palmdomain.com/show_product.php?pid=3365

See if you can connect to it with that.

I am using a 700p, Holux M1200, Google maps and where am I 1.4
    and it works for me.
    Sprint
    i tried it. it is able to connect with the device. i don't know why it won't work with Where Am I?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast