Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think there is another thread on that issue and now another thread that says it will work with Centro soon. I could also be nuts.
    i thought others were already able to use this with the centro?
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    i tried it. it is able to connect with the device. i don't know why it won't work with Where Am I?

That is weird. I get the exact same error message "Unable to open the serial port!" when trying to connect with cetusGPS yet Where Am I and all other GPS software works fine on my 700p.
    Last edited by fulltlt; 12/06/2007 at 05:55 PM.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    My location, Where am I, let me know when Google has the nuke codes.
    Arrghhh!!!
    ok guys, sorry to beat a dead horse but i am getting frustrated that i can't get the damn thing to work with the centro. i got this email back from the vendor:

Hello,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with this excellent product. This device does work perfectly with the PalmOne Centro when installed correctly. Please visit the manufacturers link below to create a support ticket for this item as they will be able to provide detailed technical installation assistance.

http://freedom.helpserve.com/index.p...kets&_a=submit

Per our return policy, we offer exchanges or replacements for defective merchandise. If in fact your device is defective we will be able to replace it. Please check with the manufacturer first, and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Customer Support
    WirelessAccessories.com

Obviously, they don't want to issue me a refund so I gotta get this to work!! Can ya'll help a gal out?

The problem is that the connection is hit or miss to begin with on the two devices. Then if they do connect, I open up Where Am I and hit the "get my coordinates" button. It then says "reading GPS signal" but after that, i never get any result. The times I don't connect, Where Am I says it's running into an error "opening Bluetooth Serial port." Yep, pretty exciting stuff. Bottom line, I NEED HELP!
    Last edited by michelle; 12/10/2007 at 01:57 PM.
    I'd start with the easier one first since they sound like they're all a pain. I'd work on the BT part and reset everything. Start over. Then you'll eliminate the communication part between them, which sounds like it could be an issue even though they are recognized. It sounds more like its trying to connect but doesn't really. The same thing happened with me and others using BT devices. Wait, you just said the connection is hit or miss, start with that before I bore everyone to death!

[Assuming you're connecting via the serial port, which didn't occur to me as being a correct error message, you probably don't have them matching with the same port. You need to manually do that, I've seen port 7 and 8 and someone on here I think said port 5? See what ports they're on but that is probably the issue and I hope the only one!]
    bvcp, thank you for the help. how do i fix the port setting?

The problem is that the connection is hit or miss to begin with on the two devices. Then if they do connect, I open up Where Am I and hit the "get my coordinates" button. It then says "reading GPS signal" but after that, i never get any result. The times I don't connect, Where Am I says it's running into an error "opening Bluetooth Serial port." Yep, pretty exciting stuff. Bottom line, I NEED HELP!
    What does hit or miss to begin with mean?

You said gpstester connects to it. Does it not connect every time?
    If GPStester works every time then your hardware is all good.

Are you running the apps from memory or SD card?

Try reinstalling WAI. Make sure it is version 1.4.

It's a very simple app that should work every time.

You realize WAI is just a toy to fiddle with.

Does Google maps work by itself?

Another suggestion: Spend a few dollars and get some real GPS software
    like Delorme SA 2008 ($29.99 on sale or $39.99 most places) or Garmin or TomTom for a lot more dollars. Software is 99% of the solution.
    Sprint
    Wait, wait, wait, let's first confirm that her BT is set correctly, which I don't think it is. I think hit or miss is they are recognized and not connected.
    i tried it. it is able to connect with the device. i don't know why it won't work with Where Am I?

If as stated above GPStester works then I have to assume the BT connection is set up and working correctly.
    Sprint
    Ok, I guess I think I'm on to something but don't know how to actually do it. For Hot Syncing to the computer via BT you need to select a serial port connection out of the several BT connections or options available. The serial port I believe is the only one with several port numbers, meaning you could have more than one device on the serial port. I don't know what the GPS tester is or if it is using the serial port?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Ok, I guess I think I'm on to something but don't know how to actually do it. For Hot Syncing to the computer via BT you need to select a serial port connection out of the several BT connections or options available. The serial port I believe is the only one with several port numbers, meaning you could have more than one device on the serial port. I don't know what the GPS tester is or if it is using the serial port?

The Treo / Centro error message when it can't open the BT connection is as I stated previoulsy, "Unable to open the serial port" meaning it can't open the BT connection in serial port mode.

GPStester is a free program you can use to check the functionality of a BT connected GPS device.
    Sprint
    Right, but you can't have it both ways. Serial ports need to match with the same port number. It doesn't sound like Michelle did that and assuming its automatic, like I and others have, found out that the setting was wrong. I think that is the issue.
    ok hold the phone. i have not hotsynced the centro AT ALL (i've no need since i have everything on nvbackup.) that said, do i need to do so in order to change the serial port setup? sorry i am lost...

btw, i store all apps in the internal ram. i tried gps tester and was able to connect once. after that first try, it stopped connecting. i've done about a dozen soft resets and tried to delete the gps from the trusted device list and then repair the two. still no success guys.
    Last edited by michelle; 12/10/2007 at 03:07 PM.
    ok hold the phone. i have not synced the centro AT ALL (no need since i have everything on nvbackup.) that said, do i need to do so in order to change the serial port setup? sorry i am lost...

Yeah I don't get what BCVP is talking about either. I never use serial ports or hotstink either. I too use nvbackup. I haven't used a serial port with the Treo since the Treo 300 with the flip lid.
    Sprint
    Ok Fulltlt but I thought we were talking about BT and a serial port error? When you go to set up the device and again I don't remember how I did it, there is a sub menu. That's where Palm tech. sprt. took me to confirm the ports matched. I thought I had done it manually at one point after going in circles but I guess I either didn't or it didn't stick.
    Michelle, I think you're right to delete it and start over. Somewhere around there when you go to set it up there should be a serial port option for connecting and then there is a menu somewhere that suggests a port number, probably the wrong one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Ok Fulltlt but I thought we were talking about BT and a serial port error? When you go to set up the device and again I don't remember how I did it, there is a sub menu. That's where Palm tech. sprt. took me to confirm the ports matched. I thought I had done it manually at one point after going in circles but I guess I either didn't or it didn't stick.

You're probably thinking about the computer side not the Treo.

When setting up a BT device on the Treo there is no serial port to associate or anything like that. All it asks for when setting up a "trusted device" such as a BT GPS receiver is the passcode.

However, the Treo (or Centro) does give an error message when trying to connect using BT to a BT GPS device that says, "Unable to open the serial port" which I'll have to say is a bit confusing.
    Sprint
    Well, I was hoping it was the easier one to fix first. It still doesn't sound like its connecting regardless. I was thinking it is the serial port now since its data or something rather than just a headset or something? IDK.

If you're sure its not using the serial port, I'm not, then I would go and hot sync all of this, maybe there is a key or something that needs to register first? The question is if the issue is with the connection or due to a bigger issue?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast