1.    #1  
    Hello

For the IM Application (AIM, Yahoo!, Windows), do you get charged for data or for texting? In other words, if I had unlimited texting, would the IM Application be charged under this? Or does it become charged by the data plans Sprint offers?

Thanks!!
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I believe it uses both. Data when you're online, and texts when you have it running in the background.
    Data because you're basically logged online.

Quote Originally Posted by corona1707 View Post
    Hello

For the IM Application (AIM, Yahoo!, Windows), do you get charged for data or for texting? In other words, if I had unlimited texting, would the IM Application be charged under this? Or does it become charged by the data plans Sprint offers?

Thanks!!
    Actually, Qwalls is correct.

Sprint IM uses data *and* SMS-the program says as much when you first launch it, so there is no question here. Data is used when chatting; sms is used when in background mode.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I don't know what Sprint uses with that IM but it sucks. Go ahead and time how long it takes for someone in the same room to get the message. Everytime I did time it regular sms was faster than IM. Not to mention how long it takes to log on to the accounts. I went back to mundu just wish I could dump that IM from the rom.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    I don't know what Sprint uses with that IM but it sucks. Go ahead and time how long it takes for someone in the same room to get the message. Everytime I did time it regular sms was faster than IM. Not to mention how long it takes to log on to the accounts. I went back to mundu just wish I could dump that IM from the rom.
    Well obviously there is an extra step with the IM program when SMS is used: someone IMs you, goes to AOL server, to Sprint server, to SMS server to your phone which then "wakes" the IM program, as opposed to SMS --> Sprint --> phone.

The lag seems to be between IM to SMS server, which I assume is on Sprint's end as I don't think Oz hosts anything.

Anyways, yes it is indeed irritating to an otherwise fine IM program. I actually use Causiere and while the graphics are lacking, the SMS-relay works quite well in comparison. If Mundu had an SMS system, I would probably use it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter